: How long will GM take to revive?

Vesicant
03-27-05, 11:49 PM
Whats your guess... assuming their next plan works.

Playdrv4me
03-28-05, 01:02 AM
IF, and thats a big IF, their reorganization plan is executed PROPERLY. Then it should NOT take longer than 3 years for them to get back into a 0 or even profitable position again. This is from experience because each time Chrysler has orchestrated a comeback they have been able to achieve it in no longer than 2-3 years of new product roll-outs and/or brand shut-downs/changes. It would be a truly DIRE situation if we expect a transition to profit to take any longer than 5 years for GM.

HotRodSaint
03-28-05, 01:28 AM
IF, and thats a big IF, their reorganization plan is executed PROPERLY. Then it should NOT take longer than 3 years for them to get back into a 0 or even profitable position again.

I agree. I think Wagner needs to go. Hire Ghosn. At all cost.

LEODEE
03-28-05, 02:05 AM
Hello Guy's First Of Im Leo Dee. A Newbie To The Caddy World I Know Im Of Topic But Due To The Fact That I Bought A 97 Catera 1wk Ago And Started To Have Problem And That All I Have Search And Read Before In The Faq And Found Not So Sure Answer I Had To Bug In And Ask You Jeffryg And Any Of The Caddy Guru''' To Help Out A Fellow Caddy Owner Get The Ride Runing Sweet Like The First Day I Got It...who Can Help!!!!

Kev
03-28-05, 02:16 AM
Hello Guy's First Of Im Leo Dee. A Newbie To The Caddy World I Know Im Of Topic But Due To The Fact That I Bought A 97 Catera 1wk Ago And Started To Have Problem And That All I Have Search And Read Before In The Faq And Found Not So Sure Answer I Had To Bug In And Ask You Jeffryg And Any Of The Caddy Guru''' To Help Out A Fellow Caddy Owner Get The Ride Runing Sweet Like The First Day I Got It...who Can Help!!!!Hey, welcome Leo Dee!

There is an area for Cateras here, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6
you should post specific questions there. I'm sure you will find plenty of help for your problems.

:welcome:

davesdeville
03-28-05, 03:04 AM
It's already reviving. Has been steadily since about 2002. The gas crunch of the late 70s kicked GM in its ass. The imports took over throught the 80s and 90s. Now, it's an american revolution. They're not at the top of their game quite yet and won't be for several years but they're back alright.

Katshot
03-28-05, 07:47 AM
No "revival" needed. GM is just going through a normal period of adjustment. The OEMs go through up-swings and down-turns all the time. It's almost like the stock market. Call it an "adjustment" if you need to call it anything. I agree that Wagoner must go. I have thought that for years. The guy is clueless about cars. The best thing he's done in recent years is bring in Bob Lutz. This was basically his way of backing off and admitting he had no clue what to do. Unfortunately, Bob is getting older, and isn't hungry like he used to be. He's still a great "car guy" but I don't think he cares as much about getting things done as he used to. Goshen has proved his worth but his plate's a little full these days and so I think GM needs a young, American "car guy". IMO, we need to find an American Wolfgang Bernhard.

Jesda
03-28-05, 10:09 AM
Dont you guys ever sit back and wonder how those well-paid folks in management could screw up so badly? Sounds arrogant, yes, but I believe the folks on this forum could do as well or better at running GM.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-28-05, 12:07 PM
im voteing "who or what is GM?"

so many bad calls over the past few years that i hardly reconize them or there products....

Even my marketing inctuctors have been baffled by GMs names and advertising ....they cant even remeber the little caddy is a CTS and the new sportscar is a XLR ....all they know is "escalade"....you want to sell cars the folks ont he street need to be able to know what it is ....even a neibor of mine had to come over and ask what this little hatchback in our driveway was ...i said "it was suppose to be the family car that GM would build to beat toyota camry , the Malibu Maxx."

Katshot
03-28-05, 12:34 PM
During the years I dealt with Cadillac 1980-2001, the biggest issues I saw were:
1. The guys making descisions were older guys not looking to rock the boat. They just wanted to get the highest income they could to boost their pensions.
2. The guys making descisions weren't car guys. They had no passion for the product.

These two items alone, virtually prevents the company's ability to acheive their advertized goals of again becoming the "standard of the world".

Playdrv4me
03-28-05, 01:31 PM
Yep and Id agree with you 100 percent on that for sure. I dont necessarily agree that this is just a "phase" though. I believe its years of looking at problems as "phases" and putting bandages on them that causes a serious situation like the one they are in now. They need to get someone smart to stand back and reevaluate everything down to the last bolt and then work from there up again.

90Brougham350
03-28-05, 03:05 PM
I'd say within 5 years, we're going to see a lot of changes at GM. Cadillac is leading the charge right now. After all, isn't the main goal of a corporation maximization of shareholder wealth? Kind of hard to do with decreasing market share.....GM knows it has a problem, and is working to fix it. I give it 5 years. This is more than enough time to make some pretty big changes.

Brian

Elvis
03-29-05, 10:20 AM
I voted one year because I'm not ready to accept what everyone is saying just yet.

I don't think this patient is on the deathbed yet. I see a lot of Envoys and CTS's around here, which are relatively new GM designs. I think they're onto something but it's taking them WAY too long to get the products to market.

This latest move is probably the right one.