: Low Coolant Level

danbuc
03-27-05, 06:53 PM
Well, lets see if I can remember all the crap I just typed. Went to submit it, and the damn site made me log in again and erased my whole damn post :mad:

Started my car up, while getting ready to leave my house in North Jersey, and drive 150 miles, back down to West Chester, PA. The car said I had low coolant level, so I turned it off, and popped the hood to take a look. There was dried coolant around some of the gasket for the water pump crossover assaembly thing. I just had the water pump and stuff replaced about 5 months ago, so I'm kind of pissed off. I'm not burning any coolant, and I have yet to see any collect on the ground, which leads me to believe it a very small, and slow leak. Now my real question is, will I be able to make to PA safely, with low coolant. I still have about an inch or two left in the resevoir tank, so it's not completely empty. Would it be safe to add a little water to it, just to bring it up to the engine cold mark, for the time being? I'm taking it into the dealer that did the water pump tomorrow, so that they can take a look. Just out of curiosity, when a head gasket fails, does the car always burn coolant, or does it sometimes just leak. The reason I ask, is that it hasn't exibited any symptoms of a bad head gasket, and I'm really just trying to reassure myself. I really need to leave tonight if I can, so any quick responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

danbuc
03-27-05, 10:41 PM
Well, I made it home fine, with the amount of coolant I had. I even got stuck in some bumper to bumper traffic for about 45 minutes, and the temp guage never moved. I think the problem was caused the other day in class, when some idiot decided he was going to mess with the cap on the resevoir tank. I guess he didn't tighten it back up when I told him to stop, and the coolant just evaporated. Before I left, I removed the cap and tightened it fully, and I didn't have one problem. The Low Coolant Level message didn't even come on the whole ride back to PA. I'm goign to pick up some extra DexCool tomorrow, and swing by the dealer just to let them have a look anyway.

Ranger
03-27-05, 10:59 PM
If that cap was loose, I am surprised you didn't overheat.

zonie77
03-28-05, 12:43 AM
I would fill the tank and wait to see what happens. Don't bother with the dealer unless it happens again quickly. You said you saw dried coolant, not a current leak.

danbuc
03-28-05, 01:00 PM
Yeah, the cap wasn't completely loose, it just wasn't tight I guess. They were messing with it on thursday, and and the Low Coolant Level message showed up for a brief second whne I left friday night to go home. Only came back once on sunday, and that was before I removed, and retightened the cap. If it had been completely loose, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it home on friday, so I guess I got pretty lucky with that. I'm on my way over to the autostore, to pick up some Dexcool, so I can fill it back up to the cold mark later. I'll wait and see what happenes. Thanks for the replies.