: I am no longer a Cadillac Owner :(

2dfx
03-27-05, 06:34 PM
Sigh.

Blame mother mainly for this decesion. Here's the breakdown - we own an 04 Silverado and up to last week the 94 DeVille.

Rents convince me to help sell DeVille because 'supposedly' we're getting a newer one. So fine, I polish it all up, list it in the auto trader, couple of weeks later, we sell it for $5500

We sit without a car for a week, then what hapens?

Theres a new 2005 Blazer in the driveway. It's not mine of course, it's my mothers (dad doesn't drive).

Of course I flip, mainly because of the subpar quality of vehicle they just bought (I gave them the review from Comsumer Reports), and of the fact I was led to believe we were replacing it with the same vehicle only to have them respond with 'well we thought you'd be surprised...guess we were wrong' trying to put me on a guilt trip etc.

Long story short they're like 'take the Silverado, your mother needs a smaller vehicle for around town'. Apparently she 'didn't want another Cadillac'.

I was rather upset, still am just not as much. This little 'surprise' has also seen my insurance skyrocket from $4000/year to $7500/year which i can't even pay, so rents are like 'just give us $400/month and we'll cover the rest'.

I'm going to start saving for my own. Going to see if I can find myself a nice little 92-94 STS/Eldorado...i've always been fond of the STS, and it's something I can work on...thats what I loved about the 94 - did all my own work on it.

Thanks for the read. I'll stick around and see what goes on in this community!

Kev
03-27-05, 06:56 PM
There you go, save the money and buy your own idea of a short. I like that kinda talk! I'm guessing they were getting concerned that the Caddy would start to cost them money in maintenance and repairs and are not the DIY kinda folks eh?

Good luck and good hunting!

Playdrv4me
03-27-05, 06:57 PM
GEEZ dude why is your insurance so much? Ive been driving nicer cars than a blazer since I was 18 and IVE NEEEEVER paid more than 1800 every six months or 3600 a year. If I were id also start shopping for a new insurance company!

Oh nm... I see thats Canadian dollars? Boy I sure hope a mans pay increases as much as everything else does there.

ben72227
03-27-05, 07:04 PM
definately go for one of those 93/94 models with the Northstar. You won't be dissapointed;). I think you could probably get a good one for under $8,000 and I know that the Eldos are especially cheaper than the Sevilles simply because coupes aren't as popular as Sedans. Man, I can't believe they gave you a Blazer! Yuck! If they HAD to get you an SUV, they could have at least gotten one of those new Equinox things.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-27-05, 07:20 PM
Sigh.

Blame mother mainly for this decesion. Here's the breakdown - we own an 04 Silverado and up to last week the 94 DeVille.

Rents convince me to help sell DeVille because 'supposedly' we're getting a newer one. So fine, I polish it all up, list it in the auto trader, couple of weeks later, we sell it for $5500

We sit without a car for a week, then what hapens?

Theres a new 2005 Blazer in the driveway. It's not mine of course, it's my mothers (dad doesn't drive).

Of course I flip, mainly because of the subpar quality of vehicle they just bought (I gave them the review from Comsumer Reports), and of the fact I was led to believe we were replacing it with the same vehicle only to have them respond with 'well we thought you'd be surprised...guess we were wrong' trying to put me on a guilt trip etc.

Long story short they're like 'take the Silverado, your mother needs a smaller vehicle for around town'. Apparently she 'didn't want another Cadillac'.

I was rather upset, still am just not as much. This little 'surprise' has also seen my insurance skyrocket from $4000/year to $7500/year which i can't even pay, so rents are like 'just give us $400/month and we'll cover the rest'.

I'm going to start saving for my own. Going to see if I can find myself a nice little 92-94 STS/Eldorado...i've always been fond of the STS, and it's something I can work on...thats what I loved about the 94 - did all my own work on it.

Thanks for the read. I'll stick around and see what goes on in this community!
DAMN .... :want:

Ralph
03-27-05, 07:48 PM
I've never heard of insurance that high, unless someone had a lot of accidents in the past but never that high, but I know Ontario does things differently. Our insurance is covered in our annual plates and I pay 700 dollars. That includes a 700 dollar deductable but I also go to a private insurance company and have a 200 dollar deductable with them.

Geez, maybe govt. regulated insurance isn't such a bad thing because sometimes the private companies get greedy and charge more.

Jesda
03-27-05, 08:03 PM
$7500... what do you have like 30 DUIs?

2dfx
03-27-05, 08:18 PM
$7500... what do you have like 30 DUIs?

Try being 19, and a primary driver on a $40,000 vehicle.

I have no accidents, NO speeding tickets. I've been driving for 3 years but thats besides the point!

Kev = Even still, it was costing maybe $1000 a year TOPS for maintenance costs. That car didn't need much in the way of repair. Biggest expense for 2004 was the hall effect switch at $224 CAD.

ben = I've heard good things about those models. Even if I get a model that needs a little TLC i'll be set! Even with college tuition costs, I can still set money aside!

Ralph = Welcome to privatised everything, the Ernie Eves/Mike Harris way. Rates are a lot lower in gov't regulated provinces like BC, NB, etc.

Kev
03-27-05, 08:45 PM
Kev = Even still, it was costing maybe $1000 a year TOPS for maintenance costs. That car didn't need much in the way of repair. Biggest expense for 2004 was the hall effect switch at $224 CAD.That's what I thought. I bet you did a lot if not all of the maintenance too? It's OK, it's just a car, there are plenty more out there. Keep your eyes pealed and your ear to the ground and all that rot and you'll be announcing to us the aquisition of a rare beauty in no time!

Keep the faith Brother!

TomDeville
03-27-05, 08:50 PM
My sincere condolences.

I am sorry to hear that your parents
burned you. Try InsuranceHotline.com
for a quote when you've saved up, they
give you the best 3 rates from about the
top 30 Insurers/brokers in your area, all on
line and free. It saved me a bundle. Are you
a small town or a BigCity Toronto dude?
It's significant since it comes down to factors
like Postal (zip) code (to see
how many accidents in your area); and, your low
number of years driving combined with the usual
other criteria.
You are young, so you'll be stung ;but, not as bad
as Mom burned you. What did she pay for the POS
brand new Blazer. The depreciation just driving
it off the lot could buy a noble Caddy; and, keep
you looking good, especially since you can do some
of your own fixing.

TomDeville :coolgleam

airbalancer
03-27-05, 09:48 PM
Try being 19, and a primary driver on a $40,000 vehicle.

I have no accidents, NO speeding tickets. I've been driving for 3 years but thats besides the point!

Kev = Even still, it was costing maybe $1000 a year TOPS for maintenance costs. That car didn't need much in the way of repair. Biggest expense for 2004 was the hall effect switch at $224 CAD.

ben = I've heard good things about those models. Even if I get a model that needs a little TLC i'll be set! Even with college tuition costs, I can still set money aside!

Ralph = Welcome to privatised everything, the Ernie Eves/Mike Harris way. Rates are a lot lower in gov't regulated provinces like BC, NB, etc.

do you have your G or G2( beginners)
g will drop it alot
true PC insurance

Kev
03-27-05, 09:54 PM
My sincere condolences.

I am sorry to hear that your parents
burned you. Try InsuranceHotline.com
for a quote when you've saved up, they
give you the best 3 rates from about the
top 30 Insurers/brokers in your area, all on
line and free. It saved me a bundle. Are you
a small town or a BigCity Toronto dude?
It's significant since it comes down to factors
like Postal (zip) code (to see
how many accidents in your area); and, your low
number of years driving combined with the usual
other criteria.
You are young, so you'll be stung ;but, not as bad
as Mom burned you. What did she pay for the POS
brand new Blazer. The depreciation just driving
it off the lot could buy a noble Caddy; and, keep
you looking good, especially since you can do some
of your own fixing.

TomDeville :coolgleamThat reminds me, there are areas in LA where insurance rates increase by the hundreds from one side of the street to the other.

RBraczyk
03-28-05, 12:43 AM
At least your driving a brand new chevy truck...

Kev
03-28-05, 12:45 AM
At least your driving a brand new chevy truck...Unfortunately it sounds like he is not overly impressed with that idea.

2dfx
03-28-05, 03:04 AM
Ah the support, thanks all

Kev = The only maintenance I didn't do was brakes. Everything else (basic tuneups, sensors, TB clean + EGR system clean, oil changes, etc) was done by me. So I covered about 90% of the maintenance. I'll touch on faith a little farther on.

TomDeville = I'm a small-towner, Newmarket to be more specific. Rents paid (after fees taxes etc) 24,000 - factory overstock discount (lists at 26K BEFORE taxes etc) but probably because GM knows the Blazer is end of line material and won't last much longer. I'll definately give that site a check out thanks!

AirBalancer = After getting my G in January I saw my insurance drop from $4500 to $4000/year on the Caddy. Not much but still a discount.

RBraczyk/Kev = My problem isn't with the vehicle i'm driving, its just the cost incurred, most notibly insurance. With that thing requiring a fillup every week ($75/tank) from going to and from college, it gets costly, whereas if I were investing the gas, insurance, parts into my own vehicle at LEAST I could take some pride into saying I worked for that vehicle, not just pissing money away into a vehicle which I cannot take ownership or credit for. Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to sound selfish here i'm trying to say this situation I was forced into isnt overly economical for me.

Regarding faith, I have all of you people here to blame for my obsession with this car...at first when I started driving and we had the 96 Sierra plus the Caddy I was content with the truck...but I started driving the car more and more and then when I got accustomed to it I found this forum just through google! I've learned BUCKETLOADS through this forum and quite honestly this place has turned me onto the brand like no other car. These days, everyone asks me whats my fav car is, I ALWAYS say it's a Cadillac. It's weird ya know, yeah i've liked other cars in the past and it changed from month to month but i've consistently stuck with liking this brand for a couple of years now! I've really gotta thank all you guys for the information this forum has provided over the years, it's helped me to realize which brand of car is THE best domestic anywhere.

The task now is up to finding a reasonable bargain on one I can call my own!

iametarq
03-28-05, 05:10 PM
i feel your pain.

my dad sold my 89 Deville that he had passed onto me when the head gasket went out when my younger brother was driving it when he was in high school he sold the 89 for $150. $150!!! to some kid who worked at the local jiffy lube who said he was going to fix it.

i had never been so angry before. but now i have my 'new to me' caddy, my SLS. in love...

Elvis
03-29-05, 11:33 AM
Ah, the joys of being 40.

Kev
03-29-05, 11:47 AM
Ah, the joys of being 40.Been there, done that!

D148L0
03-29-05, 11:56 AM
40's seem so close..... :suspense:

Bummer, 2dfx. Don't worry, you'll get a better one along the way.

Kev
03-29-05, 12:07 PM
40's seem so close..... :suspense: They sneak up on you all too fast it seems. Then there are the 50's.........60's................70's...........an d if you're lucky........

Night Wolf
03-29-05, 12:09 PM
ummmmm

I would MUCH rather be driving a 2004 Silverado then a 1994 DeVille... I love the trucks...

I agree though, that is INSANE insurance rates...

is the truck extended cab (not double) short bed, and *must* have the Z71 package? because that is the truck I would love the have.... 5300Vortec is great too.....

you are lucky....

I pay ~$230 month on insurance for my 3 cars....

Kev
03-29-05, 12:16 PM
I pay ~$230 month on insurance for my 3 cars....That's not bad for a 17 year old. I pay 350 a month for three cars, four drivers. Two of which are teenage girls with another soon to follow (ouch!) I gotta get another job!

Playdrv4me
03-29-05, 01:41 PM
They sneak up on you all too fast it seems. Then there are the 50's.........60's................70's...........an d if you're lucky........

Happy to live to 75, anything after that is icing on the cake.

airbalancer
03-29-05, 06:25 PM
That's not bad for a 17 year old. I pay 350 a month for three cars, four drivers. Two of which are teenage girls with another soon to follow (ouch!) I gotta get another job!
You just need some double OT, good shutdown will help you LOL

RBraczyk
03-29-05, 06:27 PM
Not wanting to live past 85 unless I'm in great health.

Kev
03-29-05, 06:51 PM
You just need some double OT, good shutdown will help you LOLOwner/Member :helpless:

Not wanting to live past 85 unless I'm in great health.You and so many other odd million folks in this nation! :yup:

"You got good healt? Dat's da most important thing! You should be so lucky! Oy Vey!"

davesdeville
03-29-05, 07:42 PM
I bought a 78 Fleetwood half my money half my parents, basically inherited a 75 Deville, then when the Fleetwood died my parents lent me the money to buy my ETC. Ahhhh the joys of being 17.

My insurance is around $400 per 6 months on the 95 ETC, I'm 17, I don't have the grade average benefit but I did take driving school. They sent a letter that they wanted something like $280 more didn't say why, I think it's because of my reckless ticket but I didn't think they could raise rates until after you were convicted of something (and I'll be fighting it as best I can... if I ever get served with the notice from juvinile hall.) Anyway I'm not paying until the ticket's settled.

This guy's talking to his friend and he says
"Do you think I'll live to be a hundred?"
-"Well do you drink?"
"No"
-"Smoke?"
"No"
-"Chase women?"
"No"
-"Then what the hell do you want to live to be a hundred for?"
:histeric: I crack myself up.