: Level Ride Experiment Data

DopeStar 156
03-27-05, 01:59 PM
I took a 30 minute drive today in my 89 Fleetwood and timed the Level Ride lights when they came on and how long they were on for because I think there might be a leak, here's my results.

- The first time it came on was at 11:00 AM it was on for a couple of seconds. I had just pulled off my driveway.
- The second was 11:01 AM it came on for a split second then turned off.
- The third was at 11:12 AM it came on for about a second, then clicked off.
- The fourth was at 11:25 AM it came on for a second then went out.

I have been suspecting a leak in my system but it's pretty difficult to tell if there is, or if it's just my imagination. I also noticed then I got back that my left rear tire had 30 PSI in it and the right rear had 33 PSI. Maybe this is the reason for my suspicion? Does anyone think it's leaking, or is it just my imagination? :hmm:

carnut
03-27-05, 02:52 PM
Its leaking, once it pumps up after sitting overnight, you should not see the level ride light again unless you add or take away weight from the trunk or back seat. You can add air at the fitting at the pump under the hood then mix up some soapy water and apply to the lines and connections. If the bubbles get larger, theres your leak! The level ride pump has a fill fitting just like a valve stem on a tire.

cmgrafmc
03-27-05, 06:58 PM
Even if there is a leak, it's apparently a small one. Were you on any hills during this drive? The ride height sensor can be fooled by traveling on inclines/declines, causing the pump to activate. Either way, do what was recommended above to see if there is a leak. At this point it may not be worth the bother. I'd only be concerned if the light comes on and stays on for several seconds at a time (or longer).

Night Wolf
03-27-05, 07:19 PM
dude, that is fine...... 1 second!?!? every 12 minutes?

the compressor on my '93 DeVille goes on for about five (5) *minutes* at a time.... and by at a time I mean in about 3 minute intervals..... THAT is a leak :)

the car also leaves to the left....

the air leveling thing on the Olds hardly ever works, probably broke....

... I am very glad the '79 DOES NOT have the feature (even though it is very cool and helpful) on an older car... it is just so much more trouble then it is worth..... plus I put alot of weight int he trunk (a whole NorthStar engine) while still having crap in the back seat.... all 25 gallons of gas in the tank, and me... and she still was pretty level... my car has good suspension though....

90Brougham350
03-27-05, 08:21 PM
I would not be worried when the pump comes on for only a second or two, mine often does when I take a big bump, say, railroad tracks at 45 mph, or when my best friend (280 pounds) opens the door and gets in. However, it definately runs more often in extremely cold weather, but we're talking at least below zero and colder. I wouldn't be worried. BTW, can someone post some good pics of a pump, the green test-lead, the air-fitting valve stem thingy, etc. Thanks! I just want to make sure I'm looking at exactly the right thing.

Brian

DopeStar 156
03-27-05, 08:51 PM
Were you on any hills during this drive? The ride height sensor can be fooled by traveling on inclines/declines, causing the pump to activate.Well, I was travelling up Schooley's Mountain so yeah, lots of steep hills and inclines, plus where my house is the area is mountainous as well. In town the light didn't come on in a little city area so maybe it's just the inclines doing it. Last weekend I drove all the way to NY and the light only came on when I left the parkinglot of my work and i didn't see it again until I got to my destination. Maybe accelerating would trigger it since when you step on the gas the weight shifts to the rear? Not to mention my low tire on the left. Still I will check the lines for leaks when I'm home next.

kmhebert
03-27-05, 11:46 PM
When I drive all by myself, the level ride comes on for a second or two in the morning. When I have passengers in the back, it stays on for a little longer. But, then it doesn't come on anymore for the most part until the next day or so.

notyettoday
03-28-05, 02:19 AM
I am very glad the '79 DOES NOT have the feature (even though it is very cool and helpful) on an older car... it is just so much more trouble then it is worth..... plus I put alot of weight int he trunk (a whole NorthStar engine) while still having crap in the back seat.... all 25 gallons of gas in the tank, and me... and she still was pretty level... my car has good suspension though....

sorry about ot guys but holy hell, how much does a north star weigh? do you have leaves or coils in the back? i wonder if i could bring a ford big block home in the back of my 78 fleetwood...

davesdeville
03-28-05, 02:55 AM
A big block ford has got to be like 7-800 pounds... a northstar is what 500? I think it would still take it.

brougham
03-28-05, 04:46 PM
Well, I was travelling up Schooley's Mountain so yeah, lots of steep hills and inclines, plus where my house is the area is mountainous as well. In town the light didn't come on in a little city area so maybe it's just the inclines doing it. Last weekend I drove all the way to NY and the light only came on when I left the parkinglot of my work and i didn't see it again until I got to my destination. Maybe accelerating would trigger it since when you step on the gas the weight shifts to the rear? Not to mention my low tire on the left. Still I will check the lines for leaks when I'm home next.

That sounds like it's working properly. Stepping on the gas shouldn't do anything to it.

90Brougham350
03-28-05, 11:09 PM
A big block ford has got to be like 7-800 pounds... a northstar is what 500? I think it would still take it.

Now now, that's what the bed of a pickup is for! :p

Brian

DopeStar 156
03-28-05, 11:34 PM
That sounds like it's working properly. Stepping on the gas shouldn't do anything to it.
Thanks for the assurance guys!

scurling
03-28-05, 11:43 PM
I'm in agreement with others. It has a very, very small leak. You didn't indicate how often this occurs (daily, only in the morning, or every time you get in the car throughout the day), but I wouldn't worry about the pump engaging only a second or two.

My Fltwd pump turns on maybe once a week for a second or two.

Night Wolf
03-29-05, 12:35 AM
I only heard the compressor in my Olds go on....less then 5 times since i owned the car...... one was kinda recent....

the car sits level and seems to be fine... but I don't think it is working....

I guess the only way to tell would be to get a few people and have them sit int he back seat/trunk and wait a few minutes and see if it turns on...

either way, there is no problem, and i doubt even a leak...

scurling
03-29-05, 11:28 AM
I had an '86 Olds 98, and I never had any problems with the air comp. for the ride level system. That was a nice car, till it started eating up timing chains. It had the series I, Buick V-6 3.8L. A very nice engine to work with. After thre third chain and gear set, I finally donated the car.