: Alternative to Platinum Plugs?

agood1
03-27-05, 10:40 AM
Is there such a thing for a 98 n*?

Also I am going to do a coolant flush on my new car....and have been reading about some additives I need for the dexcool. Can somone give me specifics on it?

Thanks

Ranger
03-27-05, 12:42 PM
Use "HDC" or "G12BP" from this site available from any GM dealer or most auto parts stores including Walmart and such.
http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html

dkozloski
03-27-05, 03:41 PM
Why would you even consider retrograding to massive electrode plugs? That's like giving up your inside plumbing and going back to an outhouse. That's like heating water in buckets on the stove to take a bath in a wash tub. That's like doing your washing by beating on your clothes with a stick down at the creek.

mcowden
03-27-05, 05:39 PM
There are several alternatives to the platinum plugs. For a '98, NGK part number 3951, Autolite part number 104, and Champion part number 13 will work. The NGKs are about $1.50 each and the Champions are about $1.30. They'll work fine, but they will wear out much sooner than the platinum plugs. I really would stick with the AC-Delco 41-950 platinum plugs. I tried Bosch platinums once and that was a mistake. Those things are junk. My opinion is, you spent the money for the Cadillac, why cheap out on small tune-up parts now? Use the stuff that was tested with the engine and is known to work well for a long time.

As for the coolant supplement, you want either 6 of the Bar's Leaks tablets or 2 tubes of the Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder. Put it in the radiator hose, not in the surge tank. Avoid the aluminum and copper supplements, just the Bar's Leaks beige tablets or powder.

Hope that gets you where you need to go. Let us know how it works out for you.

agood1
03-27-05, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info...going to the parts store in the AM. :)