: code 23?!?!?!

pimpin88
03-26-05, 02:41 PM
i checked my codes today and pulled a code 23 and a code 31. the code 31 i have known about for a while, but the code 23 is new. the reason that i checked them was that for the past few months the check engine light would come on when i started the car and then shut off after a few minutes of the car running. when i drove the car today though, the check engine light stayed on the entire time i was driving. it also drove very poorly. lots of sputtering. i got home and checked the codes, got the 23, and then started the car up and went for another drive. the check engine light went back to its usual thing of being on for a few minutes after starting the car and then shutting off.

i looked up code 23 in my shop manual, and it said that it can cause poor driveability and fuel mileage, an exhaust with a bad odor and so on because of running full rich. i had those when the check engine light was on constantly, but now that it goes away again, i still have poor fuel mileage and bad exhaust odor, but the only time the car sputters is when you touch the gas when starting from a stop or get your foot into the gas between 1/2 and 3/4 down. it hesitates while sputtering for a second or two and then drives normally. i know it shouldnt even do this, but i'm used to if now.

my question is, if the check engine light doesnt stay on anymore, after it goes off becasue the canister purge solenoid is done, is the code 23 still active or is it just being stored? and if it is still active, what do i have to do to fix this problem.

thanks

pimpin88
03-31-05, 09:04 PM
. . . . . . . .

ocjmakaveli
03-31-05, 10:18 PM
i checked my codes today and pulled a code 23 and a code 31. the code 31 i have known about for a while, but the code 23 is new. the reason that i checked them was that for the past few months the check engine light would come on when i started the car and then shut off after a few minutes of the car running. when i drove the car today though, the check engine light stayed on the entire time i was driving. it also drove very poorly. lots of sputtering. i got home and checked the codes, got the 23, and then started the car up and went for another drive. the check engine light went back to its usual thing of being on for a few minutes after starting the car and then shutting off.

i looked up code 23 in my shop manual, and it said that it can cause poor driveability and fuel mileage, an exhaust with a bad odor and so on because of running full rich. i had those when the check engine light was on constantly, but now that it goes away again, i still have poor fuel mileage and bad exhaust odor, but the only time the car sputters is when you touch the gas when starting from a stop or get your foot into the gas between 1/2 and 3/4 down. it hesitates while sputtering for a second or two and then drives normally. i know it shouldnt even do this, but i'm used to if now.

my question is, if the check engine light doesnt stay on anymore, after it goes off becasue the canister purge solenoid is done, is the code 23 still active or is it just being stored? and if it is still active, what do i have to do to fix this problem.

thanks

basically take it to a shop there is no good advice we can give you over the computer to diagnose the problem you are having basically you need to check everything out first hand

pimpin88
04-01-05, 07:12 PM
i went to a guy around here and he told me he cant do anything and he doesnt know anyone in the area who does. so what is next

pimpin88
04-01-05, 07:14 PM
i mean he cant do anything on a carbed engine and doesnt know anyone else who can because they are "too old and nobody has the tools or know how".

pimpin88
04-01-05, 07:15 PM
those are the mechanics exact words

ocjmakaveli
04-01-05, 10:35 PM
those are the mechanics exact words

I've actually had that problem before where do you live?

city adn state

usually check your yellowpages and you'll find at least 1 good place dedicated to carburetor service.

nowadays they are old and most people don't know them anymore you have to find an old shop with old mechanics that are familiar with carburetors

pimpin88
04-02-05, 04:42 PM

pimpin88
04-02-05, 04:45 PM
i sent it as a private message

ocjmakaveli
04-02-05, 08:24 PM
i replied to your pm You've got email.

pimpin88
04-02-05, 09:37 PM
thanks a lot