: Throttle body cleaning question - 2007 DTS

BlueAngel#07
08-22-13, 06:44 PM
When is it time to get the throttle body cleaned?, I need to buy a manual... Didn't get one with this car. Btw where can I buy one, I was being honest when I sold the last N*, should have kept it.

Submariner409
08-22-13, 07:04 PM
Some of us clean it annually, some every 5 years, some never. It's a two beer Saturday morning job. Lay in a spray can of TB cleaner, a few lint free rags, an old toothbrush, basic hand tools, a drop light and a strong back. Remove the intake air ducting and use a golf club or wood stick between the driver's seat front and the gas pedal to hold the throttle wide open. Spray the throttle bore and butterfly with cleaner - DO NOT get carried away, and DO NOT shoot liquid cleaner into the intake manifold. Scrub/wipe/scrub/wipe/clean everything you can reach/see. Let it air out for a half hour and close the throttle. Install the intake ducting, making very sure there are no loose clamps or possible air leaks at ot after the MAF.

Go for a 20 minute drive.

Google "cadillac forums northstar throttlebody cleaning" for more reading and maybe some pictures. Do the same for the Idle Air Control motor/top hat/passages.

This thread is vehicle-oriented, so let's move it to DTS.

teckguy
08-22-13, 08:34 PM
Just had the intake off last week on my way to the lower rad hose....throttle looked pristine...do you find much gunk comes off in a cleaning?

Superjim
08-22-13, 10:40 PM
When is it time to get the throttle body cleaned?, I need to buy a manual... Didn't get one with this car. Btw where can I buy one, I was being honest when I sold the last N*, should have kept it.

My 2006 has 132,000 + on it...
Throttle body has never been cleaned... still runs great, at least so far ... :)

Maybe it should be cleaned, but then again if it ain't broke, don't fix it... :hide:

Submariner409
08-23-13, 10:17 AM
How dirty the TB and butterfly get is determined, in large part, how the dirty air line from the PCV system is tied into intake manifold vacuum. In the older Northstars that line went back to the vacuum side of the throttlebody at the throttlebody casting, so all oil vapor and boiled off moisture entered the airstream right at the butterfly. Those TBs get gooey filthy in a hurry. In the (1998 ???) 2000 and later the dirty air line enters the intake manifold at the front (passenger) end and dumps into the exact center of the intake manifold center distribution log - so the nasties are well away from the TB and it stays pretty clean.

Where does the PCV dirty air line enter the intake on the 2005 and later models ?? ........ and do you have a rattle valve or a fixed orifice ??

Tom's Caddy
08-23-13, 10:26 AM
I agree Jim, only thing is with you going over 100 mph as often as you do, it might take 450000 miles for yours to carbon up.:canttalk:

Submariner409
08-23-13, 04:01 PM
Kicker is, the goop is not 'carbon' - it's condensed oil vapor and blowby remnants from the PCV system........... but in a perverse way, a 'grandma' car would be more likely to suffer from throttlebody deposits than a road runner car.

Something I neglected earlier - The clean air line, connected to the atmospheric side of the TB, has no orifice or rattle valve - it's a 1/2" or 5/8" hose/fittings - so when you shut down, hot air/gases in the crankcase and left (front) cam cover tend to simply convect (?) into the cooler intake duct at the TB.

(........... and the car hasn't been over 100 mph since Monday afternoon.)

Tom's Caddy
08-24-13, 11:26 AM
Sub you should call your bullet THE CRIMSON TIDE.

Submariner409
08-24-13, 04:28 PM
Sorry - I'm a Univ. SC alumni: Gamecocks - The Crimson Tide does nothing but kill fish. (My Navy buddy from Birmingham is gonna kill me .......... :sneaky: )