: Radio Frequencies?

AusAllante
03-26-05, 12:09 AM
Hi,
Im in Australia, and ive just purchased an 89 Export Allante from Japan that was sold new there by GM.
My problem is that the FM frequencies in Japan are 76-90, rather than 88-108 as you have in the US, as do we here.
I purchased another receiver from Dick Hussey thinking that this would correct it, but unfortunately it is the same as the one currectly in the car, ie, the frequencies are still displayed as 76-90, so is unusable here.
So i figure that there most be some other item maybe in the DIC that determines what frequencies are received. Something must be different when the car is built for export to Japan, or to a country where the FM range is different.
Is anyone able to tell me how, or where i may be able to find out what needs altering to change the freq. received to 88-108 please? The AM band is fine.
Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.

JimD
03-26-05, 12:52 AM
First, let me disqualify myself as I have no experience with or knowledge of '89 Cadillac models. Or Dick Hussey. And 'export to Japan' models have to be the most rare of birds!

Is your installation a (typical today) two piece installation with a control head in the dash and a remote receiver box? If so, did your Hussey installation replace both pieces?

My first reaction is to suspect the programming of the OEM receiver box is / was limited to the appropriate export destination freq's. Easily done. But not likely selectable via the DIC.

Good luck with it!!

91TexasSeville
03-26-05, 08:26 AM
Hi,
Im in Australia, and ive just purchased an 89 Export Allante from Japan that was sold new there by GM.
My problem is that the FM frequencies in Japan are 76-90, rather than 88-108 as you have in the US, as do we here.
I purchased another receiver from Dick Hussey thinking that this would correct it, but unfortunately it is the same as the one currectly in the car, ie, the frequencies are still displayed as 76-90, so is unusable here.
So i figure that there most be some other item maybe in the DIC that determines what frequencies are received. Something must be different when the car is built for export to Japan, or to a country where the FM range is different.
Is anyone able to tell me how, or where i may be able to find out what needs altering to change the freq. received to 88-108 please? The AM band is fine.
Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Correct me if I am misunderstanding.
I anticipate that you want to know if you can access the RKE module to change the frequency range from the DIC. Is that a correct assumption?
If that is your question, the answer is no. If you want to change the RKE module to a different frequency, that can be done.

AusAllante
03-26-05, 11:39 AM
Gday guys, thanks for your replies.
Firstly Jim, yes, the Allante has a two piece installation, and so far ive just replaced the receiver box (behind the glove box) with no luck.
This leads me to believe that there is some other programing/wiring in the DIC that determines the radio frequencies.
And TexasSeville, what is the RKE module please?
Is it something in the DIC that has to be swapped to alter the frequencies?
As i said, i have already swapped the receiver box for a US one, but the frequencies were still 76 to 90, so i figured it must be something else.
How to i change them to 88-108 please?

JimD
03-26-05, 12:13 PM
There is an Allante section on this board. Try a post there.

Or maybe this page can lead you in the right direction...
http://www.allante.com/

AusAllante
03-26-05, 08:35 PM
Thanks Jim, i'll try the other Allante section here also, and have already posted on Allante.com.

91TexasSeville
03-27-05, 11:20 PM
The RKE module (Remote Keyless Entry) module is normally located mid section of the upper trunk between the trunk deck (boot) and rear windscreen.

AusAllante
03-28-05, 05:28 AM
Gday TexasSeville, i understand what you meant now.
I think you thought i was talking about the transmit frequency of the RKE. Is that correct?
If so, thats not what i meant, it was the AM/FM frequencies that the radio can receive.
In the US and Australia, the FM band is about 88 to 108, but in Japan it is 76 to 90, and thats what my radio is.
I need to know how to change from it 76-90, to 88-108.
Thanks for your help of advice anyway.

AusAllante
04-02-05, 10:47 AM
I still havent had any luck with this. :hmm:

Is there anyone from Delco on here, or know how i could contact them to see if they could offer any advice?
I guess they would have set the radio up in the first place for export to Japan.