: New air filter similar to k&n filter with pics included.

ocjmakaveli
03-25-05, 10:50 PM
Here's my air filter setup i bought off ebay for $41 very good price in my opinion.

I bought it here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7960563743 took about a week to receive it from calif.

I had to reverse the tube setup because the breather hose did not reach all the way to the right I could have replaced the hose witha longer hose but I decided to just switch the tubes around and it worked out fine.

Overall performance: I feel a quicker response with a little more horsepower which is well worth the price of the air filter I should have definitely done this sooner.

Noise did increase with the hood opened and under some acceleration I can hear a whine noise because of the air being sucked into the air filter. Yet with the hood closed I don't hear any noise at any speeds so it's not a big difference in noise.

I would rate this a 10 out of 10 in cheap performance mods. Most noticeable improvement is the response of acceleration.

I didn't want to spend the hefty $200 on the K&N kit because I just think it's overpriced and they priced it per horsepower but I sincerely doubt the parts are worth that much.

This is the sellers pic on hwo to install it but it wasnt working for me so,........

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/20056642/Images/SIC_CIM9496LHE8C5.jpg

HotRodSaint
03-25-05, 11:03 PM
I didn't want to spend the hefty $200 on the K&N kit because I just think it's overpriced and they priced it per horsepower but I sincerely doubt the parts are worth that much.

I agree, an intake it great mod.

Despite the ad's bragging about it not being PVC, I like the K&N because plastic is more resistant to heat.

I also like that the K&N comes with a box to prevent the engine compartments hot air from entering the intake.

But the polished aluminum does look good, which is why K&N finally submitted to the boy racer crowd who put looks before performance.

Oh, and I just noticed that it isn't legal in California. Another K&N selling point for me.

ocjmakaveli
03-25-05, 11:30 PM
I agree, an intake it great mod.

Despite the ad's bragging about it not being PVC, I like the K&N because plastic is more resistant to heat.

I also like that the K&N comes with a box to prevent the engine compartments hot air from entering the intake.

But the polished aluminum does look good, which is why K&N finally submitted to the boy racer crowd who put looks before performance.

Oh, and I just noticed that it isn't legal in California. Another K&N selling point for me.

as for the legality of it i live in illinois and I doubt they will ever look inside the hood either way.

The box or cover which is supposed to block out the heat is pointless in my opinion because how much heat can it actually block in the summer when the air from outside is hot to begin with the cover does nothing to cool it down the only thing the cover does is keep the filter itself a tiny bit cooler but since the air coming into is the same temperature regardless of the box/cover I see it as a gimmick to charge a $100 more.

I think the real hp gain is from the bigger air filter which has more external mass and a more efficient way of getting air.

I do like the way the k&n filters look but not worth the price actually this is a temporary mod for me until I can put in a powerdyne supercharger system late in the summer.

N0DIH
03-26-05, 06:38 PM
What is the dimension of the pipe? Is it as big as the MAF inlet?

ocjmakaveli
03-27-05, 05:47 PM
The pipe is slightly smaller just about 1/2" inch smaller it came with 2 adapter fittings that go into the maf sensor. I believe the pipe is 3" I'll have to measure it though.

N0DIH
03-27-05, 06:40 PM
The price is right, but I can't say going much smaller at all than the MAF will help much at all. There is some restriction on the MAF, so having the pipe going in and out slightly smaller is probably ok, but much more than that, will hurt overall airflow. But keeping velocity up is a good thing, but too small will have too much airflow "friction" on the sidewalls of the air tube. (The Laminar flow, http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pfric.html)

juiceE
03-28-05, 11:16 AM
I Got The Same Set Up, But Paid Around $60 For Mine Gettin The Parts My Self... And Like Hrs Said, I Went With Pvc And I Wrapped It With Heat Reflective Material

@ first I got rid of the home plate... but after a while i put it back on because it looked cleaner under the hood, an i couldn't tell any difference with ot without it, maybe its just a little bit quieter with it back on.

Katshot
03-28-05, 12:20 PM
I think this is just another case of "you get what you pay for". On one hand, the K&N kit is fully engineered to provide a verifiable performance gain, is properly constructed, and provides a filter housing and filter cleaning kit. On the other hand you have a "generic" kit that does not provide any of the features I just mentioned above and is of questionable quality at best.
IMO, it looks like something a couple high-school kids put together and threw on Ebay to make some quick money on. This kind of product preys on the general lack of technical knowledge the public has concerning CAI technology.

N0DIH
03-28-05, 01:20 PM
Hence why I am looking at trying to make my own, but I haven't spent much timing thinking on it yet.

I mainly want to move the MAF closer to the throttle body like the Vette and then duct cold air to it from somewhere. My limitation is this darn mech fan!! One the first mods will be ditching it and going full electric fans.

I have seen a cone filter at autozone for $20, but I would wonder what sort of airflow it is capable of. I miss my old 76 Delta 88 Royale with a 78 Olds Diesel filter element (14in x 5in) Than can flow enough air for about anything!

ShadowLvr400
03-28-05, 01:29 PM
I've been running the same for a month or two now. 2 things, 1 you organized yours differently. I have MAF in a different spot, I went long pipe, MAF, short pipe, filter. 2. Keep an eye on the filter, mine broke off from the pipe after a few weeks, replaced the filter at discount auto for like $20.

Katshot
03-28-05, 01:34 PM
Hence why I am looking at trying to make my own, but I haven't spent much timing thinking on it yet.

I mainly want to move the MAF closer to the throttle body like the Vette and then duct cold air to it from somewhere. My limitation is this darn mech fan!! One the first mods will be ditching it and going full electric fans.

I have seen a cone filter at autozone for $20, but I would wonder what sort of airflow it is capable of. I miss my old 76 Delta 88 Royale with a 78 Olds Diesel filter element (14in x 5in) Than can flow enough air for about anything!

Another point to ponder about the filter would be not only what are it's flow characteristics but what will they be AFTER cleaning it? Many aftermarket filters loose much of their filtering or flow performance after being cleaned. Using a replacable filter eliminates this issue all together but a "reusable" element demands that we keep this issue in mind. What good is a filter that looses a high percentage of it's flow or filtering capability after being serviced? Make sure the company that you buy your filters and other performance parts from has the ability to PROVE to you that their products not only perform as claimed but will continue to do so over the years.