: 3 qts oil in 3000 miles?

LoneRanger
03-25-05, 10:31 PM
My 2000 DHS has 52,000 miles on it. I am encountering a quart of oil down per 1000 miles driven.

Is this usual for a NorthStar at this mileage?

Thank you.

upstate
03-25-05, 11:43 PM
My experience with owning at least 4 northstars is they tend to love oil. Took one back to the dealer because I went a little long on an oil change (5,000 miles) and was down two quarts. They said this is normal and even at 3,000 miles to be down a quart was acceptable. A quart every 1,000 seems excessive but not too far off what I've been told. A quart every 2500 I was told is normal. I'm curious to what others have experienced.

LCLCLC
03-26-05, 01:15 AM
Go drive the snot out of it. Wind it up to max rpm in the first 3 gears. Stand on it. Pedal to the medal.

When you've done this, and paid your tickets if you are not careful, you will have broken loose the carboned up rings and lowered your oil consumption a lot.

Gosearchs in the forums for 'oil consumption' and see that 'It's the truth.'

SuperSport
03-26-05, 03:44 AM
These Northstars seem to be set up on the loose side regarding tolerances. I don't know of too many that don't use some oil. Mine will use about a quart and a half or two between oil changes, every 3000 miles. They do like to be run a little hard from time to time and it seems to bear no consequence in gas mileage or oil consumption. Three quarts seems a little high but it may have to do with your driving habits or your Northstar is on the loose end of the scale.

MWA
03-26-05, 08:43 AM
LCLCLC is right. The more you drive the hell out of it, the more likely the oil consumption will go down. Those other threads also reference a chemical treatment that the dealer can perform to decarbonize, but why not drive the carbon out of it? WOT...........

LoneRanger
03-26-05, 09:23 AM
I just tend to drive a vehicle like their is an egg under the gas pedal. Really, drive the snot out of it?

LoneRanger
03-26-05, 09:26 AM
Thank you for your responses.
I will check out the archive on this, too.

I now wonder if this is excessive for a car with under 60,000 miles on it and if it is covered under the drive train warranty and if so, what I would do?

youbetcha77
03-26-05, 09:32 AM
My grandparents have a Northstar in their car and it will start using oil if they put put around. My grandpa drives about at the speed of smell. My grandma drives like one of the Earnhardts. When he has been the one driving for a while and they havent taken any long trips it will consume anywhere from 1 to 3 qts between changes. I can take it to Saint Louis showing no mercy when passing or merging and it will barely use a half a quart between changes for a while. My suggestion is take it out on the highway and when you merge or pass, give it hell. You dont have to get crazy with it. Just when you pass, put it to the floor.

Blaze

upstate
03-26-05, 10:54 AM
Sounds like the cure is go and have fun! Just don't get caught having to much fun.

hungryhippo
03-26-05, 12:36 PM
I just tend to drive a vehicle like their is an egg under the gas pedal. Really, drive the snot out of it?
well there's your problem

Kev
03-26-05, 01:02 PM
You don't have to get into trouble, there are legal ways to 'goose' the engine. I've always remarked of my 5.0 Mustang how much fun it is to get on the freeway. Find yourself a nice freeway on ramp that has an uphill incline and 'merge' a few times. The money you spend in gas you will dave later with less oil consumption. The other option is to find a highway/freeway that has a moderate uphill grade and take it at speed in a lower gear.

Ranger
03-26-05, 06:30 PM
My 2000 DHS has 52,000 miles on it. I am encountering a quart of oil down per 1000 miles driven.

Is this usual for a NorthStar at this mileage?

Thank you.
Go to the top left of this page, click on Technical Archives and read up on "oil consumption".

an01sts
03-26-05, 11:03 PM
Mine uses a q @ 1.2k, has used oil like that since new, and you can set your watch to the q @ 1.2k. I'm at 70k and, although I don't abuse it, I run it fairly hard, and it seems to enjoy the excersise. Let's put it this way: It's not like I never gave it any gas, but I limited wot to rare occasions up to about 45k. Since then, I have been giving the horses plenty of feed, and the car runs better now, @ 70K, than the car has ever ran in its life.

LCLCLC
03-27-05, 03:36 AM
Romp on it. Get on it. Lay on it. Jump on it.

Turn the RPM on in the dash display. See 6450rpm come up a few times, quickly.

And remember, oil is what, $1.79 a quart maximum.

Gasoline is more than that each gallon.

At 25mpg, in 1,000 miles, thats 40 gallons, at $2.25 per gallon that's $90 - for $1.79 of oil.

LoneRanger
03-29-05, 10:12 AM
Thank you for the input.
I am running premium with a fuel system cleaner in it.

I will hop on it a bit.

caddydaddy
03-29-05, 11:12 AM
I drive my 2000 STS like a maniac, and I rarely have to add any oil between changes. And that's with 66k miles on it.

Kev
03-29-05, 11:20 AM
Thank you for the input.
I am running premium with a fuel system cleaner in it.

I will hop on it a bit.Break them eggs baby! Have yourself an omelet! :burn: