: The Beast gets a new heart...

RBraczyk
03-25-05, 08:54 PM
In one month, my truck will be driven to NECO motors in Manchester, NH to have a heart transplant. A rebuilt 350 smallblock will go in its place.

Following, in summer, a transmission kit and homefully a TPI setup will be added.

Will produce pictures and vids once the new motor is in. :)

Adam
03-25-05, 09:02 PM
thats cool. whats wrong with your old motor? has it finally given up the ghost?

RBraczyk
03-25-05, 09:17 PM
No it still runs fine, its been constantly stuttering at times, like stutters, comes back to above idle, stutters again without me touching the acc. and repeats. Its starting to get scary and I don't feel like letting it see 300k. Plus I can do more mods to it now.

slk230mb
03-25-05, 09:23 PM
The best part has got to be the impending increased gas mileage. Good Luck.

RBraczyk
03-25-05, 09:30 PM
From 6-10 to 10-16 yes it is.

Kev
03-25-05, 09:59 PM
Is your current block a 350? If so, and were it mine, I would rebuild that engine, have the lungs punched out .0120 over, balanced and install a nice torky bump stick.

RBraczyk
03-25-05, 10:22 PM
I dont' have the time to send it out to a machine shop and let it sit there for two months, plus I hate stick trucks and the tranny is 15k old.

Kev
03-25-05, 10:29 PM
I dont' have the time to send it out to a machine shop and let it sit there for two months, plus I hate stick trucks and the tranny is 15k old.I can understand the time. What is a 'stick truck'?

illumina
03-25-05, 10:53 PM
Get the 350 rebuilt and make sure there is about 1 hp per cubic inch: maybe a little more...

Swap the rear end and put 3.73's in there. Maybe lower gears (4.10:1). Place a shift kit in her too...

Take her out for some rice: you can do this at any suburb stoplight. When some rice presents itself, press pedal to floor and see the 5.7 liter do her magic. Smile.

Hope it all works out for ya dude! :cool:

Vesicant
03-25-05, 11:23 PM
Are you going to go for a vortec 350 or a direct replacement ?

Stoneage_Caddy
03-26-05, 12:17 AM
I can understand the time. What is a 'stick truck'?
i dont think he understands the idea of a "bump stick"

RB thats gearhead speak for "hot cam"

i personally would like to see a RV cam in it ...nice power but streetable ....

unlike the 454 in a camaro i drove some years ago ...4 speed rockcrusher tranny in it too ....bastard wouldnt idle for anything ...but itd pin you int he seat on acceleration

RBraczyk
03-26-05, 12:20 AM
Look guys, its going though a direct replacement right now. WHen I have more money, I'll have a lumpy cam installed, a shift kit, I already have 3.73's and a locker, a line lock will come, and TPI injection depending on the cost.

Kev
03-26-05, 12:26 AM
i dont think he understands the idea of a "bump stick" Oh, I wondered. Thanks

...i personally would like to see a RV cam in it ...nice power but streetable ....That's what I call a 'torky bump stick'. They all have bumps, some have bigger bumps than others. :eyebrow:

Stoneage_Caddy
03-26-05, 12:28 AM
Oh, I wondered. Thanks

That's what I call a 'torky bump stick'. They all have bumps, some have bigger bumps than others. :eyebrow:
oh i thought you wanted him in the land of high lift ...and long nights with stoplights

Stoneage_Caddy
03-26-05, 12:29 AM
Look guys, its going though a direct replacement right now. WHen I have more money, I'll have a lumpy cam installed, a shift kit, I already have 3.73's and a locker, a line lock will come, and TPI injection depending on the cost.
but we can dream damit !!!!!! :lildevil:

RBraczyk
03-26-05, 12:34 AM
Yes you can and Ideas are welcome, I'm trying to make mega HP but with little money

Kev
03-26-05, 12:45 AM
Yes you can and Ideas are welcome, I'm trying to make mega HP but with little moneyBalancing the engine will make a tremendous difference in how the engine runs and lasts. It will also provide a necesarry basis for added horsepower. Even if you get a crate motor to drop in you might want to talk to a few machine shops in you area and ask what it would take to balance that engine first, time wise and money. Asking won't cost you anything but time. You may find it to be more reasonable than you might expect.

Horsepower = money in general terms but, you can do very nicely on the low end for just a little extra, like the RV cam Stoney mentioned, the balancing, good ignition, and lest we forget, a good exhaust system. With those basics you could have a very dependable Blazer that will 'light em up' whenever you mash it and still get reasonable mileage.

Kev
03-26-05, 12:58 AM
Probably the easiest way to get a stong boost in horsepower would be to put a blower on it. Check Summit Racing, they got lots of fun toys! All it takes is money though.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-26-05, 01:12 AM
hey i wonder if the cam from say a 03 Z06 would work in one of those older small blocks ....

prolly not , not much else fits either ....too bad ...those heads are sooooo nice

there is still hope for my new age GM 302 .....lightly bored over alum 5300 block and the 4800 crank babay !!! with z06 parts ....boooya