: Poll, Car Ownership Duration

Ralph
03-25-05, 03:22 PM
How long on average do you keep your cars. I don't care if you lease or own, I'm just trying to figure out some demographics and possibly relate the results to depreciation, etc.

Do you find you keep a domestic longer than an import? Or the opposite...

Playdrv4me
03-25-05, 03:24 PM
5 months to 1.5 years.

Longest ownership? 2001 BMW 330i and 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

(BTW Ralphie, Im changin her tonight :D)

Ralph
03-25-05, 03:30 PM
(BTW Ralphie, Im changin her tonight :D)

:thumbsup: She's very classy. ;) I hope we are talking about your avatar and not your truck. :suspense:

90Brougham350
03-25-05, 05:07 PM
Unlike most Americans, I don't get the itch. I'm on my second car, and I'd still be on my first if it weren't for accidentally pressing the wrong button on the radio and then trying to fix it and taking my eyes off the road for 20 seconds and the sign and whatnot...... My dad, every 4 years, my mother, same thing. Me, I plan on keeping the Caddy for as long as I can.

Brian

slk230mb
03-25-05, 06:26 PM
I'd still have my Deville if the lease wasn't up. I plan on keeping the Escalade for a long time. My mom and dad are on 5 years with the Avalon and Suburban, mom is on 2 years with the Lexus, and dad is 3 months with his 05 Yukon XL. The only leased car is the Yukon XL, business truck, 2 years.

Ralph
03-25-05, 06:27 PM
I'd still have my Deville if the lease wasn't up. I plan on keeping the Escalade for a long time. My mom and dad are on 5 years with the Avalon and Suburban, mom is on 2 years with the Lexus, and dad is 3 months with his 05 Yukon XL. The only leased car is the Yukon XL, business truck, 2 years.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you guys owned those '59's?

slk230mb
03-25-05, 06:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, how long have you guys owned those '59's?

My dad got them in December 1984 when he found out my mom was pregnant with me. He tracked 4 of them down to Ohio and sent the in house mechanic for our lumber yard to check them out. 4 days later he had them freighted to us. Over the years he sold the other Fleetwood and a Coupe, both of which we still see often, as he sold them to his friend.

Kev
03-25-05, 06:49 PM
I buy my cars used, I let the first guy take the big depreciation hit. I have driven two cars till the day they were retired to the wrecking yard. I use them until they are unreliable or unusable.

c5 rv
03-25-05, 07:25 PM
Anytime after a year or two, I get the new car itch. The internet certainly doesn't help curb it. I really like my CTS, but...

illumina
03-25-05, 10:20 PM
I have three cars...One of them is still my first car...Which just happens to be a Cadillac...She has a new engine in her now...All of the cars I have happen to be Cadillacs...I have an obsession...With Cadillac.

Kev
03-25-05, 10:47 PM
I have three cars...One of them is still my first car...Which just happens to be a Cadillac...She has a new engine in her now...All of the cars I have happen to be Cadillacs...I have an obsession...With Cadillac.I don't got a problem with that. You got a problem with that Ralphie?
Ralphie don't got a problem with that. We don't got a problem with that.

Ralph
03-25-05, 10:48 PM
I don't got a problem with that. You got a problem with that Ralphie?
Ralphie don't got a problem with that. We don't got a problem with that.

I aint gots no problemo wit dat! I just taught dat all Americans were rich and gots new cars every year! Boy, was I wrong! :hmm: :)

I'm realy suprised by the poll results so far.

Jesda
03-25-05, 11:34 PM
On DTV, Dagmar said people were keeping old cars (10 years old) on the road more than ever before. I suspect rising new car prices are a part of the reason, and the fact that you can get a very nice used car for very little nowadays.

Ralph
03-25-05, 11:42 PM
On DTV, Dagmar said people were keeping old cars (10 years old) on the road more than ever before. I suspect rising new car prices are a part of the reason, and the fact that you can get a very nice used car for very little nowadays.

I have faith in ANYTHING Dagmar says! :worship:

That's probably why I see many older cars that are in good shape holding their value better, also probably because the cost of a new one is expensive for many.

Jesda, I bet you check in every Sun. on the net for the newest episode? :thumbsup: ;)

TomDeville
03-25-05, 11:53 PM
Hi Ralph,
(Say hi to Natasha, BTW are you still engaged?)
This is a good poll ;however,
I am not surprised that you are
surprised by the surprising results.
Here's why.
Any results deduced from your
accumulated information
regardless of level of analysis
will be dubious at best. Conclusions
will be incalculable as a consequence
of the results being derived from answers
to a question (or test) whose methodology
neglects to account for distinctions which
need to be made between:
Leased, Buy New, Buy Used,
Dealer finance, personal finance,
Corporate fleet, inherit, limo use...
Individual circumstances will dictate results,
so demographic/depreciative analysis will be
inherently flawed, at best.

TomDeville :coolgleam :coolgleam

Ralph
03-25-05, 11:58 PM
Hi Ralph,
Here's why.
accumulated information
need to be made between:

I know, I wasn't going for rocket science Tom, :) but I understand what you are saying. I've done lots of Psychology reports to be throrough enough and basically wanted to keep it simple here. I have theories for depreciation and just wanted to see, on average, the duration. I bet if more guys from the other forums came here, it would be a shorter duration.

Kev
03-26-05, 12:07 AM
Hi Ralph,
Here's why.
accumulated information
need to be made between:

TomDeville :coolgleam :coolgleamHey Tom, you might try giving the Thesaurus a break and pick up a nice novel just to mix things up a bit.
Just a thought? :rolleyes:

I'm just kidding guy! I actually enjoy reading your posts. They are a veritable cornucopia of verbosity if you will, a plethora to be sure!

Ralph
03-26-05, 12:14 AM
They are a veritable cornucopia of verbosity if you will, a plethora to be sure!

Aint no ways yer just a sheet metal worker! Fess up now! :p

Kev
03-26-05, 12:23 AM
Aint no ways yer just a sheet metal worker! Fess up now! :pSho nuff! We tinners is smart! huh huh!

sonjaab
03-26-05, 12:24 AM
I buy my DeVilles new (for about the same price as used) with my GM
employee/family discount and keep them 5 years and 100k miles or so
and trade for a new one !

My GM trucks OTOH I keep for 3 winters (about 30 months) and trade
them in for a new one before the warranty runs out.
Snowplowing and heavy towing WHUPS the s***t out of any truck !....geo

Kev
03-26-05, 12:37 AM
Aint no ways yer just a sheet metal worker! Fess up now! :pRemebmer, you should never judge a book by it's cover, or a news paper by it's headlines. (what?)
Just because I chose the profession of Sheet Metal Worker does not preclude the fact that I might have the intellectual capacity for neural surgery or rocket science given the opportunity of the proper education. It's not difficult to see my lack of education by my poor spelling and limited vocabulary. (not to mention my pitifull sentence structure)

TomDeville
03-26-05, 12:39 AM
Hey Kev,
Ralph is calling you out.
You best fess up.
I don't use a thesaurus, I
already know what words mean.
Nonetheless, I do have a book
that has just words in it that
I check my spelling with.

Ralph,
I wasn't dissing your poll,
I prefaced my post with "this
is a good poll" ,and I'm sorry
if you had a bad Psych. 101
or other psych. related flashback.
(I've never taken psych. course, but
they were a good place to pick up
crazy chicks).

Best Regards,

TomDeville :coolgleam

Ralph
03-26-05, 12:48 AM
Relax guys, we're getting too sensitive here! I didn't mean anything bad towards anyone. I know you weren't dissin' Tom and I'm sorry about your bad sentence structure Kev. :sneaky: ;)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go into my purse and get a kleenix because I'm going to cry! :crying:

:grouphug:

Kev
03-26-05, 12:50 AM
Remebmer, you should never judge a book by it's cover, or a news paper by it's headlines. (what?)
Just because I chose the profession of Sheet Metal Worker does not preclude the fact that I might have the intellectual capacity for neural surgery or rocket science given the opportunity of the proper education. It's not difficult to see my lack of education by my poor spelling and limited vocabulary. (not to mention my pitifull sentence structure)You have to remember, English is a second language for me.

Ralph
03-26-05, 01:41 AM
You have to remember, English is a second language for me.

Just teasin. Your english is better than mine! :)

I can't believe how close the poll is!

Kev
03-26-05, 01:52 AM
Just teasin. Your english is better than mine! :)

I can't believe how close the poll is!Well, kinda. My first language was slang. Not 'Ebonics' :greendude mind you, rather, some sort of honky, pre-pubescent pigeon slang?

I dunno. :suspense:

davesdeville
03-26-05, 05:52 PM
I had my 78 Brougham for a year before it developed a rod knock and I had to take it off the road. I've had my 75 off and on (a lot of the time my grandmother has it due to a special arrangement...) for 2 years. And I've had my 95 ETC since late January. I plan on keeping the ETC for a good 10 years and the 75 until one of us dies.

My parents have had their 78 Volvo for about 12-14 years and are getting rid of it in a year because it's not worth fixing to get it to pass emissions. My dads POS 1981 Corolla wagon has been here for 4 years, we'll replace it later this year probably with the Corsica de la Muerte. So it averages out to 6+ years for them.

Kev
03-26-05, 06:43 PM
I had my 78 Brougham for a year before it developed a rod knock and I had to take it off the road. I've had my 75 off and on (a lot of the time my grandmother has it due to a special arrangement...) for 2 years. And I've had my 95 ETC since late January. I plan on keeping the ETC for a good 10 years and the 75 until one of us dies.

My parents have had their 78 Volvo for about 12-14 years and are getting rid of it in a year because it's not worth fixing to get it to pass emissions. My dads POS 1981 Corolla wagon has been here for 4 years, we'll replace it later this year probably with the Corsica de la Muerte. So it averages out to 6+ years for them.Ah, yes. The Corsica de la Muerte. No doubt it will be a formidable commuting vehicle for your Father, the envy of his peers!

Good times, good times.

illumina
03-26-05, 09:58 PM
I know, I wasn't going for rocket science Tom, :) but I understand what you are saying. I've done lots of Psychology reports to be throrough enough and basically wanted to keep it simple here. I have theories for depreciation and just wanted to see, on average, the duration. I bet if more guys from the other forums came here, it would be a shorter duration.

Are you a shrink dude?

Kev
03-26-05, 10:11 PM
Are you a shrink dude?*Gasp* Oh NO! Could it be?! Say it isn't so!

Aw, just when I was beginin to like the guy..... :nono:

Ralph
03-26-05, 10:37 PM
Are you a shrink dude?

No, part-time counseller, among other things.

I think Tom Deville is an English Professor or something. ;)

illumina
03-26-05, 11:09 PM
No, part-time counseller, among other things.

I think Tom Deville is an English Professor or something. ;)

I wonder if the psych classes I've taken could land me a job in the part-time counselor field? Oh Hell, I think I may need counseling... :cookoo: :bonkers: Or psycho-therapy...

"No you don't Illumina, thay're all against you."

NOOOOO...Not you again...

I'm your friend, remember?

Oh dear...Help me...

TomDeville
03-26-05, 11:55 PM
Ralph,
I am not an English Professor Dude.
I swear on my Caddy ;and, my Mom.

I am not against you Ill. ... It's O.K.,
(that's me being a part time 'counsellor' <Cdn>,
and/or 'counselor' <US>).

BTW- They should bring back a nice
luxury Coupe Deville or Eldoradolike
ride. That would make people keep
'their' (possesive adjective) cars longer.

Kindest Regards,

Kev
03-27-05, 12:45 AM
Gollum; "They wants our Precious!"

Smeagol; "Nooo!! They be our friends."

Gollum; "No, we must kill them. KILL THEM!!"

Illumina; "Why? They not hurts us. They help with the Precious Stage I Project."

Evil Kev; "No, they laughs at the Precious Stage I Project. They wants Her to fail"

Illumina; "NOOOOOOooooooo.........."

TomDeville
03-27-05, 01:15 AM
You must resist Gollum
'the evil one' :hide:

illumina
03-27-05, 01:27 AM
My personal favorite was Liv Tyler in those movies (great movies anyways!). I just cannot resist big, deep blue eyes; smooth, sensuous body; dark flowing hair...I need to find some Liv Tyler pictures!

Illumina, she'll never love you...

NO SHIT!

Hmm...

Kev
03-27-05, 01:37 AM
http://www.twnonline.org/Archive_TWN/040108/Return%20of%20the%20King%20%28Liv%20Tyler%29.jpg

Just for you Illumina.

Kev
03-27-05, 01:39 AM
http://www.filmkultura.hu/2004/articles/films/images/mordor/mordor03.jpg

Here's a closer view.

Kev
03-27-05, 01:40 AM
She has very nice lips. I also liked her character in "That Thing You Do".

illumina
03-27-05, 01:52 AM
And here I am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning on an internet forum when I should be out with a women building "relationships."

I need some real help here folks...Illumina's losin' it!

Kev
03-27-05, 01:54 AM
And here I am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning on an internet forum when I should be out with a women building "relationships."

I need some real help here folks...Illumina's losin' it!And come to think of it, I have a beautiful wife to go to bed with now. So, abade , abade ,abade, a That's All Folks! G'night!

davesdeville
03-27-05, 04:09 AM
I wish Liv Tyler had a differant name. I read it and think, Liz Taylor?... Then I realise who it is but that gross old lady is still in my head. :nono:

Ah, yes. The Corsica de la Muerte. No doubt it will be a formidable commuting vehicle for your Father, the envy of his peers!

Good times, good times.

The Corsica de la Muerte is going to the track next weekend if the weather is good. We're bringing both hoods (if we can talk our friend with the F250 into going) to see if the ram air makes a differance. My dad will enjoy it because it has a working radio and heater (both lacked by the 81 Corolla) and gets better mileage anyway.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-27-05, 12:38 PM
BTW ..thought id would chime in ..you all will be pleased to know the caddy is on its way to being the car ive owned the longest ....

The longest was my G20 @ 2000-2002

The caddy was bought 2003 itll be the first car ive kept over 2 years ....hopefully ....damn i havent had one yet thats not been sent to the junkyard ....damn bad drivers and and damned ice ..

Kev
03-27-05, 12:49 PM
I wish Liv Tyler had a differant name. I read it and think, Liz Taylor?... Then I realise who it is but that gross old lady is still in my head. :nono: Hey, Liz Taylor was one hot tomato in her prime! She looked very similar to my grandmother. Both ladies started out beautiful and aged as well as can be expected. Better than some, not as well as others.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-27-05, 01:07 PM
Hey, Liz Taylor was one hot tomato in her prime! She looked very similar to my grandmother. Both ladies started out beautiful and aged as well as can be expected. Better than some, not as well as others.
thus proving my theroy , women are beatter leased .....thataway you can turn them in after 2 years and not be charged with excess wear and tear ... :banghead:

Kev
03-27-05, 04:47 PM
thus proving my theroy , women are beatter leased .....thataway you can turn them in after 2 years and not be charged with excess wear and tear ... :banghead:(in the voice of Jim Neighbors) "Oh yer gonna burn in hell fer that!"

TomDeville
03-27-05, 05:33 PM
Yo Kev,
The Stonester might being on the
highway to hell ;but, all the non whipped
and studley fellas will be
high fiving him en route.
Hey Ralph,
With all the views and posts why do
you think the voting numbers on this
poll are so comparatively low?

Elvis
03-27-05, 05:48 PM
Until about 1992 I was averaging a trade every two years or less.

Then I got old. Here are my last three cars:

1990 Acura Legend LS - 57 months
1997 Acura RL - 37 months (leased)
2000 Honda Prelude - 62 months (and counting)

Ralph
03-27-05, 06:24 PM
Yo Kev,
The Stonester might being on the
highway to hell ;but, all the non whipped
and studley fellas will be
high fiving him en route.
Hey Ralph,
With all the views and posts why do
you think the voting numbers on this
poll are so comparatively low?

I don't know that the voting numbers are low, remember there are a lot of repeat posters here, and sometimes people have voted but check the poll again.

I guess people keep ther vehicles longer than I thought, although a lot of people seem to only keep them during the warrenty period and then dump them. I guess it sort of supports my old theory that constant trading in makes them too plentiful and dealers can't get rid of them, thus contributing to depreciation. But at the same time, I'm not sure if Mercedes Benz, etc. owners keep their cars longer, etc. That's why I asked that question about imports in the first post but it might be too difficult to answer.

Tom, you might like my old thread I started called "My theory for why Cadillacs depreciate Faster Than Others..." in the Non-specific section last year. People here had really good ideas, etc.

TomDeville
03-27-05, 11:58 PM
You are correct Ralph, and I thank
you kindly for the reference. I miss hockey.

Kev, Elizabeth Taylor was super hot in
her (way way way way way back
in the day) prime, but super fine in any
event. BTW what good novel would you
recommend?
Incidentally, I am hoping that six (6) years
plus wins the poll.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-28-05, 12:07 AM
Also remeber ralph , you can rent a cadillac at the airport ...you cant rent a benz at th airport ...rental and fleet sales drop resale values ....one big reason hondas do so well on resale ....

Ralph
03-28-05, 12:10 AM
Also remeber ralph , you can rent a cadillac at the airport ...you cant rent a benz at th airport ...rental and fleet sales drop resale values ....one big reason hondas do so well on resale ....

Good point!!! There must just be more of them to drop values. (Cad. Linc.)

Kev
03-28-05, 12:13 AM
You are correct Ralph, and I thank
you kindly for the reference. I miss hockey.

Kev, Elizabeth Taylor was super hot in
her (way way way way way back
in the day) prime, but super fine in any
event. BTW what good novel would you
recommend?
Incidentally, I am hoping that six (6) years
plus wins the poll.

TomDeville :coolgleamWhat good novel? Hmmmm... I would have to contemplate that for a while. It's been some time since I have read a good one. I imagine you have read most of the classics but, I would think you enjoyed Rudyard Kipling and 'Oliver Twist' by Charles Dickens is one of my favorites.

illumina
03-28-05, 12:36 AM
And come to think of it, I have a beautiful wife to go to bed with now. So, abade , abade ,abade, a That's All Folks! G'night!

Lucky man.

Had I been complacent, I would have been married to my "X" by now and would be happy...I think...

Kev
03-28-05, 12:40 AM
Lucky man.

Had I been complacent, I would have been married to my "X" by now and would be happy...I think...There's still time for you man!
"Never give up! Never surrender!" Tim Allen as Jason Nesmith/Cmdr. Peter Quincy Taggart

Ralph
03-28-05, 12:42 AM
It's been some time since I have read a good one.

They have books in the U.S. :confused: :devil:

Kev
03-28-05, 12:47 AM
They have books in the U.S. :confused: :devil:Yes, at least three but, Ralphie, did it escape your notice that I mentioned British writers?
(Victorian British writers at that)

Ralph
03-28-05, 12:50 AM
Yes, at least three but, Ralphie, did it escape your notice that I mentioned British writers?
(Victorian British writers at that)
I'm too lazy to read and this thread has gone to HE**. :canttalk:

Stoneage_Caddy
03-28-05, 12:11 PM
Never Surrender ....hmm didnt corey heart sing that in the late 80s ? no wonder why the french run away from conflict.... they must have heard that vile peice of crap ...

ShadowLvr400
03-28-05, 01:45 PM
I don't willingly give up my cars. The Lincoln went to a wreck, the Eldo went to a wreck, this Fleetwood I'm trying to keep forever though.

Jesda
03-28-05, 02:05 PM
Today's Natasha picture is especially sexy!

Ralph
03-28-05, 09:06 PM
Today's Natasha picture is especially sexy!

Thanks. Here is the FULL size version. Put it on your cool homepage. :sneaky:

I guess most people keep their car only during the warrenty period after all.

davesdeville
03-29-05, 02:52 AM
If that were true... what happens when a car is out of warranty? Do people throw them in the crusher? :histeric:

Ralph
03-29-05, 02:56 AM
If that were true... what happens when a car is out of warranty? Do people throw them in the crusher? :histeric:

No. You know what happens. ;)

davesdeville
03-29-05, 06:37 PM
The headgasket blows? :eek:

TomDeville
03-30-05, 01:25 AM
Sir Ralph's Natasha avatar of
this date truly exceeds the
capacity of an average headgasket.
I wonder what the factory warranty
on her headgasket would be?; if
purchased new.
Jesda is that your picture?
What compelled you to compete
with Natasha? Moreover, when are
you buying that CTS to put in your
import oriented, but well adorned
driveway?

Ralph
03-30-05, 01:28 AM
Jesda is that your picture?
What compelled you to compete
with Natasha?

You should see the FULL size pic on this one! :yup:

Laughed pretty hard reading THIS! :histeric:

chevyorange
03-30-05, 01:16 PM
Longest ownership was my great 1994 Caprice Classic, 6 years. Bulletproof and respected on the highway.

The STS will not be with me that long, I'll probably trade up on a newer one.

Jesda
03-30-05, 09:09 PM
Sir Ralph's Natasha avatar of this date truly exceeds the capacity of an average headgasket. I wonder what the factory warranty on her headgasket would be?; if purchased new.
Jesda is that your picture? What compelled you to compete with Natasha? Moreover, when are you buying that CTS to put in your import oriented, but well adorned driveway?

LOL!!!!!!! I've got nothin' on Natty. If I was that pretty I'd be questioning my identity. :D

Gonna get me a CTS soon as I can afford one. Right now, the old Q has another 100k of life on her (gonna hit 200k early this summer). I'm pondering a used car -- possibly a Seville, possibly a Sebring vert, possibly a Miata. If I could find a 98+ Seville that's had proper coolant flushes (dont want to have to do the timesert thing, ever), I'd be up for it.

A roomy and affordable luxury convertible really would do the trick for me. A damn shame GM never offered any through most of the 90s and turn of the century. All they had to do was chop the top off the Riviera:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/trombinoscar/buick/bk950102.jpg
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/trombinoscar/buick/bk950101.jpg

Elvis
03-30-05, 10:21 PM
Jesda, you're in St. Louis, did you ever run across a fellow in a green Prelude who goes by the nickname Jacques? I think his last name is Sarino. He was really active on some Honda boards I used to visit a lot.

The last time I checked he still had his Prelude. He did some very nice mods to it. Not ricey at all.

Sandy
03-30-05, 10:30 PM
I only buy new, because it's important to me to get absolutely every option and the exact color scheme that I want. I always pay cash, never lease and keep it for four to five years, when I sell it myself. Always a Cadillac or a Lincoln, well since 1975 when they stopped making Imperials.
5 Imperials + 3 Cadillacs + 3 Lincolns = 11 in 40 years of driving, or an average of every 4 years, but several I kept 5 years.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-30-05, 10:41 PM
I only buy new, because it's important to me to get absolutely every option and the exact color scheme that I want. I always pay cash, never lease and keep it for four to five years, when I sell it myself. Always a Cadillac or a Lincoln, well since 1975 when they stopped making Imperials.
5 Imperials + 3 Cadillacs + 3 Lincolns = 11 in 40 years of driving, or an average of every 4 years, but several I kept 5 years.
btw sandy i saw a TC with fogs , and the other exterior options yours has ....your right it doesnt look right without the foglamps ....BTW you got good taste in TCs ....man that car was pretty

Jesda
03-31-05, 12:10 AM
I dont really talk to Honda people. They tend to be like mosquitos. ;)

Ralph
03-31-05, 04:50 AM
I've never seen a newer Buick convertible, EVER!

davesdeville
03-31-05, 06:03 PM
That Riviera is awesome. Pretty potent with the 3800s/c too. It looks weird as a normal car but the drop top.. :worship:

Kev
03-31-05, 06:16 PM
I've never seen a newer Buick convertible, EVER!I have once, it was an Electra, yeah, it was a custom job though, something about a tractor trailer, car didn't stop in time? I don't know for sure but, I dont' think the interior was origianlly red? :bighead:

Ralph
03-31-05, 06:22 PM
I have once, it was an Electra, yeah, it was a custom job though, something about a tractor trailer, car didn't stop in time? I don't know for sure but, I dont' think the interior was origianlly red? :bighead:

I said "newer" Buick, not 1975. :shhh: ;)

I heard that convertibles became unpopular in the 1970's because there were some lawsuits concerning deaths by horses stampeding and killing some people in them. Probably just a rumour.

evilrussian
04-03-05, 09:31 PM
Longest: my '83 DeVille, I've had it since 1995. My first car :)

Shortest: '82 Camaro with Crossfire fuel injection, rare car, had it for 3 months. Didn't have any money to have it fixed to pass emissions to get a tag, got some nasty tickets with it and had to get rid of it.