: cheapest place to get plasti dip

seeyouinajif
08-21-13, 06:19 PM
Where do you guys buy plasti dip from? I want to black out my grilles and paint headlight surrounds, I like the fact that for the headlights if I mess up I can peel this junk off. Where's the cheapest place to buy a spray can of this stuff? I just need one can of black, unless I love it and maybe I'll do my roof too.

platinum_V
08-21-13, 06:26 PM
Walmart is most likely the cheapest place. I was so happy with it, that I ended up painting my whole car with it.

stever06
08-21-13, 06:27 PM
If you have a Menards near you they should have it for about $6.00 bucks.

seeyouinajif
08-21-13, 06:48 PM
No Menards, never heard of it!

Didn't realize walmart carried the stuff, I'll shoot over there for sure. Definitely not doing the whole car, at most would be grille, roof, and if I get the raised fiberglass hood just do raised part.

thebigjimsho
08-21-13, 08:02 PM
You'll want at least two cans for the grilles...

seeyouinajif
08-21-13, 09:58 PM
You'll want at least two cans for the grilles...

Really? Maybe ill just rattle can the grilles and save the plasti for the headlight surrounds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

joshuajohn1981
08-21-13, 10:27 PM
Really? Maybe ill just rattle can the grilles and save the plasti for the headlight surrounds.

I would splurge and spend an extra $6. Rattle can on the grill will look like shite in no time. My plastidip still looks great. Definitely worth it. In my opinion, the headlight surrounds would look better with a nice gloss black and some clear coat over it. The gloss looks much better on the light. However, depending how good of a job you want to do, that may turn into much more than you bargained for (full front bumper removal etc.).

BigDaddy-V
08-21-13, 11:56 PM
On the grilles are you guys doing the chrome surround too or just the mesh? I have seen both and not sure what I would do. I think just the mesh but thinking about doing them when I hit the rims up.

BDV

RyRidesMotoX
08-22-13, 12:04 AM
I used 1 can per wheel and had some left over in each can. I would get 2 cans if you were going to do the grilles and emblems all together. Put on a lot of layers too. I didn't put on enough layers on the wheels. Its stuck for over a year so far so I'm not going to mess with it but I'll probably double the amount t on each wheel I put down. Just remember the more coats you do the better t will stay AND conversely the easier it will peel off.

joshuajohn1981
08-22-13, 05:20 AM
I used 1 can per wheel and had some left over in each can. I would get 2 cans if you were going to do the grilles and emblems all together. Put on a lot of layers too. I didn't put on enough layers on the wheels. Its stuck for over a year so far so I'm not going to mess with it but I'll probably double the amount t on each wheel I put down. Just remember the more coats you do the better t will stay AND conversely the easier it will peel off.

This x2!!!

I thought I had enough on my wheels (looked good in the garage when I did it) but I did not! Wish I had done twice as many coats! More is better with this stuff.

As far as the grill surround, I looked at a lot of pictures of both and decided that I personally like it better leaving the chrome on the grill surround. To each their own though.

jcollege
08-22-13, 09:57 AM
Home Depot had it for around 6 or 7 bucks. I used almost 2 cans doing both of my grills. Has held up solid for over a year.

CTSV_510
08-22-13, 02:47 PM
+1 on the plasti dip over regular spray. Walmart is cheapest around for pretty much any spray products that I have found. It's still only maybe a $1 more at home depot or lowes.

Becker
08-22-13, 08:33 PM
I will be doing my grill surroundings soon, leaving the mesh chrome and doing all the trim. Should I plasti dip or vinyl my trim peices??? which would look closer to the black paint on the car and not be too noticeable. Any input?

CTSV_510
08-22-13, 11:13 PM
Plasti dip does not match the black raven paint. Its a matte finish. Noticeable from up close but not really from far away.

I used it on my grill and trim anyway and liked it.

seeyouinajif
08-23-13, 09:13 PM
Maybe I have this backwards then, regular spray for the headlight surrounds and plasti dip for grilles. I also plan on doing the emblem and chrome surround.