: Sony PSP (PlayStation Portable)

gothicaleigh
03-24-05, 06:53 PM
So, has anyone bought one yet?

Very cool device. I'm seeing how long I can hold out before I end up purchasing one (historically, chances aren't very good that I will show restraint for long :p ).

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/images/2827_super.jpg

If you picked one up today, what do you think of it?
How does it compare to the DS (admittedly, one of the reasons I didn't get it today is that between my PDA and DS, I really don't need one other than for the 'gadget' factor)?

http://www.futurebytes.ch/images/news/psp_large.jpg

ben72227
03-24-05, 07:28 PM
I'll probably get one within a month or two. I'm just waiting to see how the public reacts to them. If I do get another handheld, it will definately be the PSP, because I've been satisfied with my PS2 and all my other Sony products. Besides, Nintendo doesn't make any games that really appeal to people my age. I mean, Mario's cool and everything, but I need some Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, and SOCOM every now and then.

Not to mention the PSP is a multimedia device (so I don't have to buy an Ipod since the PSP can play MP3s) and it looks much sexier than the DS. Graphics will be better too.

Playdrv4me
03-24-05, 07:32 PM
I was just discussing this with my brother. The WalMart site was completely down earlier, probably due to demand. I will probably be purchasing one tonight to send to him, and to play with for a couple of days. If I do I will update.

Blackout
03-24-05, 08:46 PM
The DS is no comparison to the PSP. The PSP destroy's the DS in every way shape and form. The PSP plays DVD's *well they're specially made just for the PSP* but the biggest thing that sux about the PSP is that the DS got out before the PSP did and forced Sony to take a big hit for each PSP they sell. I think heard numbers like $200 a unit they were losing money on. So to compensate the memory sticks for the PSP will be unique for the PSP and the regular memory sticks that they use for digital cameras and what not so they can gain back some of that money and the DVD videos will be extra so they can make some money off of them and I'm sure there are others that I am missing as well. But yeah the DS is a joke and the guy i talked to from EB games said I had mine for 48 hours and traded it in for a X-Box game

Playdrv4me
03-25-05, 12:03 AM
I got it, it was 249 at Wally world. Im waiting to ask my brother if its ok for me to open it up and play with it and Ill let yall know how it is. I think Sony is gonna be hurting with this one cause honestly? There were at least 9 or 10 in the case, people are NOT rushing out to buy it, it was 10pm when I went in the store and theyve been on sale since midnight last night. Now, what I heard was that the reason for the delay was that they were stockpiling em to make sure they had enough for everyone, but I just cant believe any store would have had enough of such a hot product to still have supply by the end of premiere day. And whats with a Thursday as premiere day anyway, in the middle of March? :cookoo:

illumina
03-25-05, 12:06 AM
Gothica wants a PSP?

I find that hard to imagine. She doesn't seem like the gamer type to me... :hmm:

RBraczyk
03-25-05, 12:09 AM
They both suck and should be destroyed.

DopeStar 156
03-25-05, 01:37 AM
I goooooot one I gooooooot one! It's nice.... MP3's, UMD Movies, and a very good selection of launch games. It's the first handheld I've bought since my Game Gear way back when. I picked up Twisted Metal: Head-On as my starter game. My brother has the DS and there's just no comparison. The DS has slightly improved GameBoy graphics and the PSP has slightly downgraded PS2 graphics. Also since it plays MP3's and does so much more, I finally have something over those iPod toting jerks at my school! LOL! The fact that the PSP has removable memory sticks, you can put as much music as you can afford to buy mem stix. So you're not limited to how much music you can fit, you'll just have to carry around a few mem stix. I think Sony really hit it big with this thing, it just seems to be off to a slow start.

Playdrv4me
03-25-05, 01:54 AM
It came with Spiderman 2 the movie and I must say the video quality is nothing short of ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR. This is BY FAR the highest quality LCD on the PLANET, I am not kidding guys it is THAT good. There is not an angle at which the display can NOT be seen. The games quality is just below that of PS2 games, necessary due to the 1.8gb limitation of the discs and the smaller screen. This is the first game unit ive messed with personally since my Sega Nomad and I have to say it is DEFINITELY the next leap in handhelds, if you bought a DS because you didnt want to wait, go trade it in on a game.

On a side note... some things you cant tell from the press photos. The entire front of the unit is gloss black plastic, screen protectors will be a must or itll be trashed in no time. The two L and R buttons are clear NOT silver as the pics make it seem, they are clear hard plastic. The rear of the unit appears to have that rubbery feel to it like the cheap CTS Nav buttons, but it is NOT, it is textured hard plastic, so it wont chip or flake and finally, the ring in the back is not a window into the disc like some think, its just a metal insert bezel.

davesdeville
03-25-05, 03:11 AM
I once found a Game Boy Color on the side of the road. It's missing the battery cover and has a touch of road rash too. It powers up fine, but I never gave enough of a crap to even buy a single game for it. So there it sits in my drawer... Now that I think about it I might hit up ebay and pick up a game now that they're obsolete and games should cost like a dollar..

Ralph
03-25-05, 04:18 AM
Well they are selling here like hotcakes! People lined up overnight to get one. The news also mentioned that Nintendo warned Sony can never make a portable as good as them and thinks it will fail! Fat chance Nintendo, your portable reign is about to end. You're just concerned about profits.

EvilXbox
03-26-05, 08:13 PM
Uhhh....Yeahhh like I'd actley buy one of those. Lol, maybe in about 3 years when the price goes down. It doesnt seem like a bad rig, except maybe a little bulky but I heavent see one up close to judge....

ben72227
03-26-05, 11:23 PM
The DS definately looks bulky and just not sexy at all. The PSP on the other hand is sleek and beautiful. Nintendo is trying to diss Sony because they say that people don't want better graphics, and "more horsepower" but instead people want touchscreens and microphones. I don't know who they are talking to:bonkers: cause they must be crazy if they think that.

I'm really not sure if I want a handheld right now (I'm more into PC games at the moment) but if i do get another handheld, it will definately be the PSP...

DopeStar 156
03-27-05, 11:34 PM
Well they are selling here like hotcakes! People lined up overnight to get one. The news also mentioned that Nintendo warned Sony can never make a portable as good as them and thinks it will fail! Fat chance Nintendo, your portable reign is about to end. You're just concerned about profits.
LOL! That sounds like a little kid comeback. They might as well called them poopieheads. The PSP has so much to offer than the DS so I can't see why it'd fail. With the packages places like Best Buy and Circuit City are offering whatever you spend is worth what you get. I simply can't put my PSP down, I even got yelled at for ignoring my Easter company to further my Twisted Metal: Head-On game. By the way Shadow in TM:HO is a '59 Caddy hearse, really fast too, the special weapon when armed makes the car look like it has a neon purple underglow.

Nintendo is trying to diss Sony because they say that people don't want better graphics, and "more horsepower" but instead people want touchscreens and microphones. I don't know who they are talking to cause they must be crazy if they think that.
Sure because when you're playing a game you really wanna use a stylus pen. :helpless: If no one wanted better graphics Nintendo could repackage the NES from 85 and sell it successfully for $225. Face it, even though old machines are fun, people will always be attracted to the better deal and the PSP, which doubles as a portable media device has sooooooooo much more to offer than the DS which doubles as a PDA minus an internet browser. I think the DS will go the way of the Dreamcast and the Sega Saturn.

Devil_concours
03-28-05, 03:25 AM
I got one on thursday during lunch. I've been thinking of getting an ipod mini but when i saw one in action, i had to get one.

This is a crazy little device. It plays mp3, mp4 (you can convert your dvd, mpegs, avi, wmv, etc. into mp4 and store it in your memory stick) as well as umd (sony's new format which they will be releasing movies as well as their games on. I just hope that sony doesn't make the same mistake they made with md)

There is a lot of rumors of emulators getting released very soon for this device.

ps- games take little bit too long to load but graphics are up to par with its brother PS2.

currently i use mine more as a mp3 player then portable gaming device

DopeStar 156
03-28-05, 01:41 PM
If you're gonna use it as an MP3 player, you're better off buying one of those huge memory sticks. the Memory Stick Duo that comes with it won't hold much if you have a game save on there. I gotta grab a few memory sticks.

Devil_concours
03-28-05, 11:27 PM
If you're gonna use it as an MP3 player, you're better off buying one of those huge memory sticks. the Memory Stick Duo that comes with it won't hold much if you have a game save on there. I gotta grab a few memory sticks.
i already bought a 512mb and i'm going to soon be getting a gig unless i find a 2gig from somewhere else

ben72227
03-29-05, 01:43 AM
I've already heard that they've found an exploit in Wipeout: Pure which allows the downloadable content area to function as a web browser:histeric:I bet Sony wasn't expecting that...:sneaky:

Devil_concours
03-29-05, 03:48 AM
I've already heard that they've found an exploit in Wipeout: Pure which allows the downloadable content area to function as a web browser:histeric:I bet Sony wasn't expecting that...:sneaky:
http://www.fumanchuu.com/pspdev/

DopeStar 156
03-29-05, 01:39 PM
LOL! There's a PSP forums. I dunno if I'd ever need to join that.

SHERIFF
03-31-05, 06:09 PM
I bought my 12-year-old daughter one the other night. I am quite impressed with it. She got the PSP, 2 games and the free Spiderman2 Movie to start with. The resolution on the screen is absolutely amazing and puts the DS to shame!

Devil_concours
04-02-05, 11:05 PM
Battery life on mp3 playing is right around 9+hrs and my psp happened to have 9hrs of music stored in it.

DopeStar 156
04-03-05, 03:30 AM
9 hours is impressive for music storage, I still need to get a better mem stick. Did you notice that the background color on the screen changed color every month? In March it was lime green and now in April it's pink! Amazing.....

HollywoodHicks1
04-04-05, 03:52 AM
My step bro bought one. I'm not really into handheld games, but I was quite impressed when he showed it to me. Sony did a good job once again with this. Unfortunately though, I won't be buying one anytime soon...

Devil_concours
04-05-05, 02:09 AM
i just ordered a gig stick from amazon for 122bucks :)

gothicaleigh
01-01-06, 12:47 PM
Been browsing a few PSP sites lately to see what Ican do with my new toy (I received one for christmas) and I came across a wallpaper that I thought anyone here who had a PSP may be interested in:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9259/28ei.png

The image needs to be placed in the PSP/Photo folder on a memorystick to be selected as a wallpaper/background. Then go to your photo settings, select the image, hit triangle and select "set as wallpaper".

Voila. You have a classy Caddy themed PSP. :D

Note: you need to have updated your PSP to firmware v2.00 or above to apply wallpaper.

mccombie_5
01-01-06, 01:22 PM
My son got one of these for Christmas, he thinks tis fantastic....

£200 though :(

DopeStar 156
01-01-06, 02:41 PM
I got mine on release date. $300 then. I updated the operating system on it and I now have an internet browser. I'm on it right now!

Jesda
01-01-06, 04:29 PM
PSP + Grand Theft Auto + 2GB Memory Sticks = Boredom cured. Its seriously the coolest damn toy in the world, especially with the web browser to kill boredom at airports.

Like the iPod, just convert the TV shows and movies you (arrrrrr!) downloaded and hit the road.

I'll be happy when a Gameboy emulator comes out and I can play Kirby.

gothicaleigh
01-01-06, 04:42 PM
PSP + Grand Theft Auto + 2GB Memory Sticks = Boredom cured. Its seriously the coolest damn toy in the world, especially with the web browser to kill boredom at airports.
Like the iPod, just convert the TV shows and movies you (arrrrrr!) downloaded and hit the road.

I still use my Clié for all my pirating needs. ;) My PSP is staying legit and up to date at v2.60, although I do my fair share of movie watching on it with UMDs.

As for your Gameboy emulator, there are a few out there now. Google for PSP Homebrew and you're bound to run into one or two.

DopeStar 156
01-01-06, 10:04 PM
See that's the thing. Because you upgraded the operating system all those security elements that were missing from the original version that allowed emulators to run, are now there. You can't install anything on a PSP that's properly updated. And if you have one that you never updated you can't play the new games like GTA. I wouldn't look forward to any Kirby playing on your PSP.

gothicaleigh
01-01-06, 11:17 PM
You can Homebrew up to v2.0 now as they have found ways around the security elements to that point. Upgrade beyond that and you're restricted to the UMD games and Sony authorized programs.

How I see it though (I don't support the homebrewers by the way) is that I have a PSP to play PlayStation-style games and UMD movies. If I want to play Nintendo games and classics, I will use my DS (Nintendo does a fine job of porting many of their past titles to that system). It's kind of silly to not upgrade and then be unable to play the latest PSP games just so you can play past titles from other systems and crappy games made by amateurs.

In the beginning, homebrew made sense (from what I understand) because it allowed PSP owners to browse the internet and use different music and video formats. Well now you can do all that using the Sony released upgrades, so the only reason remaining to use the homebrew programs is to play illegal roms and isos of old games.
Not worth preventing yourself from enjoying the latest PSP games in my opinion.

DopeStar 156
01-02-06, 02:53 AM
Precicely.

davesdeville
01-02-06, 08:49 AM
PSPs were flying off the shelf at CC this season. I'm not a gamer really at all so I'm not about to buy one. My PDA will handle all my other stuff I want to do on the go.

Now that Cadillac crest background is cool. I had the same idea and have that as my cell phone background and will be going on the PDA whenever I get motivated.

gothicaleigh
01-02-06, 01:47 PM
To tell the truth, I use my PSP more for UMD movies (the PSP has to be one of the clearest portable movie players I have seen) than I do for games. The sound quality with a decent set of headphones (i.e. not the cheap micro set they package it with) is pretty good too, and makes it a good alternative to carrying half a dozen gadgets (iPod, portable movie player, gameboy, internet browser, etc.).

The PSP will never replace my PDA due to a lack of easy text input (that and it doesn't look very professional to whip out your playstation to check your datebook or notes), but it is in my opinion the best portable multimedia option out right now.

davesdeville
01-03-06, 07:27 AM
As far as video goes I can load a good quality DivX compressed movie onto my 1GB SD card, slide it into my Axim x50v, and play it on the 3.7" screen at VGA resolution perfectly thanks to what's basically a 16mb video accelerator and the 624mhz main processor. PDAs just keep getting better... (would've sprung for an HP Hx4700 if I had the cash.)