: Hello From Billy Boat Performance Exhaust

Jon@bbexhaust
08-20-13, 05:49 PM
Hello, my name is Jon Light, and I am with Billy Boat Performance Exhaust. We just started as a Vendor Member with Cadillacforums, and are pleased to be here.

Some of you (or perhaps all of you – who knows?) may be familiar with Billy Boat Performance Exhaust. We are 23 year old exhaust manufacturing company and produce premium exhaust systems for a variety of makes and models, and with strong focus on the LS V8.

We have developed complete exhaust systems for the CTS-V including headers, high-flow catalytic converter pipes, center resonators, and cat-back exhaust systems. Our CTS-V exhaust systems have been proven to produce an additional 412 rear wheel horsepower. Just kidding – I wanted to see who was paying attention. Actually, with a combination of our headers, cat pipes and Sport Exhaust our in-house dyno results showed an increase of 45 rear wheel horsepower, and 46 lbs.-ft. of torque. Which is still pretty cool. Plus the Sport Exhaust uses our Purge Resonance Technology (PRT) which eliminates drone. So the system adds good power, has a great muscle car sound, yet is easy on the ears at cruise. More info and hear exhaust sound clips at http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/vseries/

Something else I wanted to share as it does a good job of summing up what Billy Boat Exhaust is all about: Earlier this week I was putting together an interview with our company owner Billy Boat for another website (FYI: Billy raced most of his life – was a USAC Champion during the nineties and raced Indy Cars for AJ Foyt in the late 90’s) and I asked him what his philosophy was for Billy Boat Performance Exhaust. He said: “I think most of the philosophy for the exhaust company came from my background in racing. Racing is very precise, low tolerance for error - very performance focused. Nothing less is accepted. So we build parts the same way as we would build them if were putting them on the track. We make the highest quality parts, and use the highest quality materials, and we make sure they perform.” FYI: Billy builds all of our products in-house at our Phoenix, AZ facility and is the company’s production manager – so he is all over it.

So there you have it.

I plan to regularly communicate on Cadillacforums – so if you have any questions about CTS-V exhaust (or XLR or Escalade for that matter – we do those too) please let me know.

heavymetals
08-20-13, 06:01 PM
I am waiting for B&B to reply to my email and requests.

Having had both the "1st generation" CTS-V exhaust and the subsequent reiteration, I am very happy with the performance.

I just wish Calif was.

FuzzyLogic
08-20-13, 06:56 PM
I own Kooks headers and a Magnaflow 16637 (2.5" with X-Pipe), but I've got the B&B X-Pipe on bucket list for later when I start pushing 700+ RWHP. How do your headers differ from the 1-7/8" Kooks and how have you seen catalytic converters affect the performance of your catbacks?

Becker
08-20-13, 09:27 PM
PM Sent to you Jon - Hope to hear back soon :)

ctsvoom
08-20-13, 10:59 PM
I so want a BB setup. Prolly just cutback with x pipe. Haven't decided if I want headers too. Sounds awesome guys keep up the good work.

heavymetals
08-20-13, 11:18 PM
Got an email back and all the info I needed.

Thanks for the support.

B&B makes the best.

Nate37AZ
08-21-13, 12:41 AM
Where in Phoenix is your shop? We should have a V meetup there sometime....

DDS rollin a CTS
08-21-13, 09:31 AM
I have a complete B&B headers and exhaust setup sitting in my garage that I've scrounged up from the forums here over time but have yet to have the time to install myself, or the $ to pay someone else to do it. Is there anything you can do to help with that? ;)

rand49er
08-21-13, 09:53 AM
I have a complete B&B headers and exhaust setup sitting in my garage that I've scrounged up from the forums here over time but have yet to have the time to install myself ...:thepan:

lollygagger8
08-21-13, 10:22 AM
B&B is the absolute BEST sounding exhaust made for the V's.

Headers/Xpipe/Catback here.......wouldn't trade it for the world. Thank you for making such great products!!

CTSV_Rob
08-21-13, 12:29 PM
Agree with Lolly.

Headers/Resonator/Catback here.

PISNUOFF
08-21-13, 01:58 PM
I agree it's the best and the collector design produces the most horsepower of any header I've seen tested. But saying there is no drone on the first generation CTS-V is far from reality. I've had it on with a stock LS2, heads & cam LS2, 418 LS3 and a 427 LSX and all have droned between 1600-2000 rpms (with and without the center resonator).

jcollege
08-21-13, 02:42 PM
I have the cat back exhaust with x-pipe and have the B&B headers waiting to be installed. I heard that drone was an issue, and that B&B has a "fix" to this, any additional information?

PISNUOFF
08-21-13, 03:57 PM
Maybe there isn't with just the cat back system. They do have exhaust cones that can be welded into the exhaust tips that are supposed to help if not eliminate it all together. They sent me a set but I bought and installed cutouts before installing the cones. Slightly cracking the cutouts open eliminates the drone.

thebigjimsho
08-21-13, 08:01 PM
There is a little drone. It's in the 1800rpm range and it is very easy to avoid. It was a complete non-issue for me...

CTSV_Rob
08-21-13, 10:26 PM
^^ That.

lollygagger8
08-22-13, 09:21 AM
To get rid of the drone, drive around it. Either shift into another gear, or change your speed. Easy peezy.

DDS rollin a CTS
08-22-13, 09:27 AM
I'm currently running the "muffler delete" mod that has some drone at the exact same rev range so I'm used to "driving around it".

chitown21y
08-22-13, 02:11 PM
PM sent.

Gilbert CTS-V
08-22-13, 07:35 PM
I have the complete B&B setup from headers, cats, to exhaust. The system is awesome and the guys at B&B were fantastic to deal with. They installed it for me at there shop and did a fantastic job. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a true performance system. If my memory serves me right....Billy actually drives a V1 with his system. Nate...that would be a great place to meet up for our monthly get togethers.....

Becker
08-22-13, 08:28 PM
My catback is going in for ceramic coating very soon, cant wait to get it and install it ! So far ive had a great experience with Mike @ B&B - I am glad I chose to go B&B :)

Jon@bbexhaust
09-09-13, 11:07 AM
Dear Everyone:

My apologies for not responding sooner. I thought replies to this thread were set up to go directly to my email. They weren't. I opened this thread to see why it had been so quiet... Surprise!

I'll get back with responses ASAP.

Jon@bbexhaust
09-09-13, 04:41 PM
I own Kooks headers and a Magnaflow 16637 (2.5" with X-Pipe), but I've got the B&B X-Pipe on bucket list for later when I start pushing 700+ RWHP. How do your headers differ from the 1-7/8" Kooks and how have you seen catalytic converters affect the performance of your catbacks?

I don't have a side by side analysis, however, I can give you info about ours:

1. B&B headers are 16 gauge T-304 stainless steel. The thicker gauge makes them more durable, and T-304 is top quality.
2. The header design is influenced by our race engineering background - the collector has a pyramid inside it.
3. B&B headers are produced by hand for better quality, and better fitment.

With regard to catalytic converters:

Our 200 cell catalytic converters provide far better flow than the stock converters. While having no converters ultimately provides the most free flow, we actually found running our 200 cell converter, instead of no converter, helps in the following ways:

1. We found the car is easier to tune
2. Low end torque is improved - for better off the line punch
3. Deepens the exhaust tone
4. Eliminates the "gas smell" from the exhaust

----------

I so want a BB setup. Prolly just cutback with x pipe. Haven't decided if I want headers too. Sounds awesome guys keep up the good work.

Go for it! :D

----------

I agree it's the best and the collector design produces the most horsepower of any header I've seen tested. But saying there is no drone on the first generation CTS-V is far from reality. I've had it on with a stock LS2, heads & cam LS2, 418 LS3 and a 427 LSX and all have droned between 1600-2000 rpms (with and without the center resonator).

Our '09 up systems use the PRT to eliminate drone.

The systems for the earlier models don't have PRT. Billy has an earlier CTS-V with B&B headers, cats, x-pipe and cat back. He pointed out that during some RPM/gear selection scenarios a drone may occur, however, it can be easily adjusted out with a speed or gear change.

----------

B&B is the absolute BEST sounding exhaust made for the V's.

Headers/Xpipe/Catback here.......wouldn't trade it for the world. Thank you for making such great products!!

Thanks!

----------

I have a complete B&B headers and exhaust setup sitting in my garage that I've scrounged up from the forums here over time but have yet to have the time to install myself, or the $ to pay someone else to do it. Is there anything you can do to help with that? ;)

There is a place in Georgetown, Indiana we recommend: Unleashed Performance. The contact there is Brenton Brown.

PISNUOFF
09-09-13, 04:56 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love my B&B exhaust and you guys have taken excellent care of me over the years. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I was at a gathering this weekend with about 70 other cars where mine was in the bottom 10% for speed and I have a 427 LSX. However, the general consensus is my car sounded the best.

Becker
09-09-13, 09:39 PM
I should have my catback shipped by next week, maybe in a couple more weeks I can make some more noise :want:

liqidvenom
09-11-13, 05:26 PM
I am waiting for B&B to reply to my email and requests.

Having had both the "1st generation" CTS-V exhaust and the subsequent reiteration, I am very happy with the performance.

I just wish Calif was.

you moving to Cali?

ctsvoom
09-13-13, 03:40 PM
So those of you that have B&B was the best price going direct or a distributor?

Becker
09-13-13, 08:22 PM
Hands down direct. I dealt directly with mike boat and am impressed so far minus that I still am waiting for the custom shipment

kw3kw
09-14-13, 12:55 AM
So those of you that have B&B was the best price going direct or a distributor?
LMPerformance has a good deal right now

DDS rollin a CTS
09-14-13, 09:12 PM
There is a place in Georgetown, Indiana we recommend: Unleashed Performance. The contact there is Brenton Brown.

Thats the opposite end of the state from me. Do you know of anything in northern or central Indiana, or maybe even north-eastern Illinois?

Jon@bbexhaust
09-16-13, 03:01 PM
Your pricing will best going to one of our resellers. Direct is MSRP.

wait4me
09-17-13, 05:14 PM
I have a kit brand new in stock if someone wants one quick. jessebubb @yahoo.com if you have any questions about it. I like the B&B kits the best out of all I have heard for the first gen V.

Jon@bbexhaust
09-18-13, 11:01 AM
I have a kit brand new in stock if someone wants one quick. jessebubb @yahoo.com if you have any questions about it. I like the B&B kits the best out of all I have heard for the first gen V.

:thumbsup:

BlueZ06
09-20-13, 10:27 PM
I have a question about your FDOM-0305, B&B Exhaust System with Xpipe 4 inch Double Wall Tips 2004-07 CTS-V.

I recently read here on the forum that the current version has two small resonators added onto the piping to help with drone. Is this true? I'm leaning towards this system for my V but I only want the mufflers, and no resonators. Drone is of no concern to me.

Jon@bbexhaust
09-26-13, 06:39 PM
I have a question about your FDOM-0305, B&B Exhaust System with Xpipe 4 inch Double Wall Tips 2004-07 CTS-V.

I recently read here on the forum that the current version has two small resonators added onto the piping to help with drone. Is this true? I'm leaning towards this system for my V but I only want the mufflers, and no resonators. Drone is of no concern to me.

Hello:

FDM-0305 includes an X-pipe, rather than resonators. The X-pipe does two things: Increases power through more efficient scavenging and it reduces drone (not a concern to you though).

BlueZ06
01-25-14, 07:47 PM
Hello:

FDM-0305 includes an X-pipe, rather than resonators. The X-pipe does two things: Increases power through more efficient scavenging and it reduces drone (not a concern to you though).

Well I just received this system and it Does include two resonators on the mids... needless to say I'm not happy since I'll have to have those taken off and have a replacement straight pipe section put in.

Becker
01-26-14, 03:46 PM
BlueZ06 - I actually called and made a "custom" request which they said would be no problem. I said I want straight pipes into an x-pipe then bullet style mufflers from the C6 bullet muffler package.

I got front resonators (didnt fit) an x pipe and coffee can style canister mufflers (looked like shit when mounted, all the hangers were off).

I was so pissed. I finally got the front mated and it was directly sitting against the floorboard, the entire system was 2" out of center from the tunnel. The rear pipe contacted the diff, and the bumper hang was so far off, I basically had to start over.

I took to a shop and we cut the front section out and straight piped, re-centered all, added some nice dimples to avoid the diff (hammer smacks!!!) and bent the shit out of the hangers to get it close to matching from each side.

Now it doesnt hit anything and it sounds ----okkkkk....wish it was what I asked for, I still want to remove the rear section and try different mufflers. B&B kinda screwed me and did nothing to help me..

Becker
01-26-14, 03:50 PM

Not what I asked for, I wouldve already had it cut and swapped but I paid for the black coating and I just dont want to ruin it yet...It is on the list... I wish B&B would work out a deal to just make me another rear section with the mufflers I wanted.

Mongopush
01-26-14, 06:18 PM
I just ordered the B&B sport with resonators form Maryland speed. How does this system differ from the touring? There is not many pictures to go off of on these systems. Jon, can you provide us with some photos of the different setups ?

fweasel
01-26-14, 09:09 PM
B&B kinda screwed me and did nothing to help me..did you buy direct or through a vendor? What did B&B say when you contacted them about the mix-up?

Becker
01-28-14, 08:57 PM
Bought direct, dealt with Mike the whole time. He at first was awesome and then kind of got "snippy" with me one day (3 weeks later) when I was calling on an update. Then I got half the parts shipped and they forgot to ship the others. After calling on fitment they said, "they have never had this issue" basically they held zero accountability for fitment. As far as the wrong mufflers, they said thats all they offer. When clearly I can see on the C6 bullet exhaust on the website it shows just small bullets.

I would appreciate if B&B would do anything to help me, all fitment has been fixed by myself. But the wrong rear section is what really angers me.

fweasel
01-28-14, 09:23 PM
Wow, that is definitely a terrible experience and with the reputation that B&B has as a top tier supplier, I'm amazed they let it get that far without acknowledging any responsibility.

BlueZ06
01-29-14, 04:48 PM
I had the system put on and the resonators chopped off and fitted with straight pipes. I still find this system to be very mellow, it doesn't sound aggressive like the sound clips I listened to online at all :/

Becker
01-31-14, 03:05 PM
I agree BlueZ06 but I am still overall happy compared to the sound of stock. I really wanted to hear it with bullets, I might sometime in the future have another rear section built up to compare. I am very particular in the way exhaust looks exiting the car and mine is nowhere near perfectly symmetrical. But at the time of install we adjusted the hangers so much just to get it where it is now. I am just shocked about the numerous issues I experienced and nobody else did. Even after cutting and moving everything the left rear pipe still ran directly into the differential bolt, so my fresh black coated rear section got a nice dime sized dent to give me 1/4" clearance.

Before buying my B&B setup I called numerous shops looking for mandrel benders, none that I could find so thats what steered me to B&B. That and I do love the black coating!

BTW where is B&B in this thread recently? :)

fweasel
01-31-14, 11:11 PM
BTW where is B&B in this thread recently? :)disappointingly absent.

Bueller
02-03-14, 02:43 AM
You would expect to tighten front to back but if will fit better if you start and tighten mufflers to xpipe then continue to go forward.

Becker
02-04-14, 03:40 PM
didnt matter, front pipes on the cats with nothing else on had two resonators. One hitting the left floor board and the second hitting the other pipe. I had everything loose and couldnt get anything to fit so I dropped the x pipe, removed the cupped exhaust donut from the cat and bolted it square on the flange. Thats when the front pipes hit all over, I managed to get the xpipe into the front pipes and attached to the rear everything loose finally. Upon tightening from either direction (didnt matteR) the entire x- pipe and front pipes went to the driver side floor board. I had all the room in the world on the passenger side. Looking at it from the under side showed how many inches the entire system was from being centered in the tunnel.

Just my experience...

Mongopush
02-05-14, 09:21 PM
didnt matter, front pipes on the cats with nothing else on had two resonators. One hitting the left floor board and the second hitting the other pipe. I had everything loose and couldnt get anything to fit so I dropped the x pipe, removed the cupped exhaust donut from the cat and bolted it square on the flange. Thats when the front pipes hit all over, I managed to get the xpipe into the front pipes and attached to the rear everything loose finally. Upon tightening from either direction (didnt matteR) the entire x- pipe and front pipes went to the driver side floor board. I had all the room in the world on the passenger side. Looking at it from the under side showed how many inches the entire system was from being centered in the tunnel.

Just my experience...

That sounds really off, you sure they didn't ship you a V2 setup ?

Becker
02-07-14, 01:53 PM
Ya I'm not sure. All fits now just wish I had different mufflers

dedeaux89
04-04-14, 07:25 AM
Can I order the gaskets that go on the connection between the resonator and mufflers. Also what would it cost for an x pipe with a set of those prt mufflers. Tried emailing a couple days ago but no response yet.

Becker
04-06-14, 10:11 AM
Yea just google ' 3" 2 bolt exhaust gaskets ' and that should be what your looking for

dedeaux89
04-06-14, 09:00 PM
Awesome thanks for the info