View Full Version : 72 Deville pitman arm

03-24-05, 11:43 AM
Was told by the alignment shop teh pitman arm was bad. How do you tell if it is bad and anyone know where to buy a replacement?

03-24-05, 12:19 PM
The pitman arm can also be known as a Grease Fitting. I belive they are talking about one of them. I heard someone call the Idler arm the Pitman Arm but the terms are thrown so loosely who is to know if he used the right word for the right part. I know for a fact its for steering Linkage.

The (pitman arm) fastens to the gearing shaft which moves the intermediate rod back and forth. The Rod inturns connects to the Tie Rods which you use for steering the vehicle.

Jack up the front of the car and follow the tie rods from the wheels back to the last 4 to 6inch bar and that should be your pitman arm

Get the part from your local Junkyard if u dont want to spend more then 10 bucks. They tend not to go bad too much.

03-24-05, 12:36 PM
It's off the steering gear. I've never heard of one going bad, but I guess the end where it meets the center link could get worn. They aren't that expensive and easy to replace.

03-24-05, 04:24 PM
I know where it is located. I've never heard of one going bad either. It's just splined so I'm not sure if he meant the pitman arm or the idler arm. Guess I'll have to take it back to ask. My son took it in the first time.