: DTS 2006 white/blue smoke from tail pipes

Kirsa
08-20-13, 02:21 PM
I just bought a 2006 DTS for my son and have had nothing but problems with it. The motor runs rough and burns gas like crasy....smoke coming out of the pipes all the time. Smells bad of gas. It does not run hot and I do not see any milky stuff in the oil. The transmission shifts rough too. Tried to check compression and the front cylingers from left to right read 170 psi, 185psi for the rest. It ran normal for 5 miles after we took out the plugs and tested the compression, but the problem returned and the engine check light came on O2 sensor. The engine has 103455 miles on it. would any of your experts come with some suggestions to my issues?

Superjim
08-20-13, 03:11 PM
Fix the o2 sensor...
If it has never had the plugs changed... change them also.
If the o2 sensor is bad... it will make it burn a lot more gas... and eventually damage the catalytic converter.

Kirsa
08-20-13, 04:17 PM
Thank you for your response. Would it be the up or downstream sensor? I have found one "DENSO 234-4337 Oxygen Sensor-OE Style Oxygen Sensor" is that the right one. Does the difference in PSI on the front cylinders mean anything?
:hmm:

Superjim
08-20-13, 04:24 PM
Thank you for your response. Would it be the up or downstream sensor? I have found one "DENSO 234-4337 Oxygen Sensor-OE Style Oxygen Sensor" is that the right one. Does the difference in PSI on the front cylinders mean anything?
:hmm:

That small difference in PSI probably means nothing...
You need the ERROR CODE to tell which sensor it is...
I think your car has three of them... one on each bank of cylinders and one in the exhaust pipe by the catalytic converter.
It "MAY" have two by the converter... one in front of it and one behind it.

Submariner409
08-20-13, 05:16 PM
Does this engine have a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) on the fuel injector rail ?? If it does, that is a prime suspect for rich fuel mixtures. It's a domed thingy with vacuum line, set into a receptacle on the fuel rail tank return line end. With the engine idling (engine cover off), pull the vacuum line off the FPR nipple. ANY raw fuel in that nipple or line means replacement.

NAPA, RockAuto or Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>

......... but don't simply throw parts at it - a rich fuel mixture might well throw an O2 sensor code and the sensor(s) would still not be the culprit.

here's a FPR from my 2002 - probably close in appearance to yours...............

Kirsa
08-21-13, 12:18 PM
Thank you guys. I appreciate the suggestions.