: power steering leaking?

carguy16
03-23-05, 11:04 PM
Today, i started my car up and there was some minor whining from the power steering, turned the radio on.

I turned the radio off, and I realized it was still whining. When I got to work, it was whining louder, I pulled into the parking lot and popped the hood with the engine still running. I opened the power steering fluid reservoir, it was kinda low, the power steering fluid was bubbling, I added more fluid to it, and now its not whining any more. I dont know how it got low, other then the fact it must be leaking some where, and it will spew out of the cap some times...

The odd thing, the fluid smelled bad and brownish in color again, even though I flushed most of it last week.

I had to add 6 to 8 oz of fluid today to fill it up.

DanTheMan
03-24-05, 09:50 AM
Air bubbles will make that whining sound. Often times just after a flush there will be bubbles. They should go away after about a week or so, not appear as in your case. You're right about probably having a leak in your hose somewhere. I'd go over the system and check all the connections. Although you should be aware that a ten year old car with some miles on it will probably have some dryrot. You might need to (or just want to) replace all the necesary hoses so that this is a one time issue. My leak (when this happened to me a while ago) was right where the fluid enters the ps pump from the resivour. That's where I'd start. It also has easier access then most other hoses.

The service manual suggests that to flush air bubbles out of the system you raise the front of your car off the ground and turn the steering wheel lock to lock 20 times, let the car sit for about 15 minutes and try it again. This pushes all the fluid through the system and allows the bubble to collect and disipate in the resivour. This will not work though if you have a leak and are just making new bubbles every time you turn the car on.