: Considering selling my 99

andyman
03-23-05, 03:33 PM
It's mint condition, black with black int. loaded. Its got 69K on it and has never had a problem. That is why I am thinking of parting with it before one of the many things that go wrong with these cars inevitably happens. So how much should I start it at? I'm in the Chicago area, if that matters. Dealers were saying $5300 on a trade in, so I'm thinking I could sell it privately for alot more. I was thinking around 9K. Any suggestions?

CateraSport2000
03-23-05, 04:04 PM
Realistically, you should get between 7K and 8K.

Jeff

andyman
03-23-05, 04:53 PM
really, only 7 or 8 K? Dealerships in the area are selling 99's for over 9k. I saw one 99 advertized at $9800.

stevehogan
03-23-05, 05:11 PM
FWIW, Edmunds says a 99 with every available option in outstanding condition is worth $8,733 retail and $7,127 in a private party sale in the Chicago area. :disappoin Trade-in was shown as $5,714, which compares pretty well with your experience. They have been pretty close in my experience. You can check this out at www.edmunds.com

tatvamasi
03-28-05, 10:02 AM
really, only 7 or 8 K? Dealerships in the area are selling 99's for over 9k. I saw one 99 advertized at $9800.
I bought mine 2000 sedan with only 40K on it for 9K + TTL + $2K in warranty = 12000 here in Minneapolis with clean carfax history.

CateraSport2000
03-28-05, 02:54 PM
These cars have horrific resale value (97-99 especially!) and it's just one of the facts of life of ownership. I bought my 2000 Sport in June 03 with 28K and a certified warranty for $15,900. That was a steal then but the car is still depreciating faster than I can pay it down. It's a shame, these are very nice cars!

Jeff

Vesicant
03-28-05, 03:06 PM
The resale value is somewhat of a curse with Cadillac's ... and its only worse because of peoples perception of the Catera and the quality problems that some have. Got our 00' in 2003 for 15k

andyman
03-29-05, 10:51 AM
Yea, I've been find out the hard way about the resale value. I'm going to a dealer on Thursday to see about trading it in for a 2005 Honda Accord v6. The dealer said he could give me 5500 for the Caddie on a trade.:mad: I guess I should just take what I can get. I could try to sell privately, but I'm affraid it will take forever to sell it.

stevehogan
03-29-05, 11:07 AM
You might give eBay a shot. Costs you $40 to list it and another $40 if you sell it. Post a bunch of pictures and, if it is as sharp as you say it is and it has a clean service history and you have good service records, you should get more than $5500. Worst case, you are only out $40 and 7 days of time :). I had a good expereience selling my 93 Corvette that way. Ended up getting the "private party" Edmunds sale price.

tatvamasi
03-30-05, 12:09 PM
You might give eBay a shot. Costs you $40 to list it and another $40 if you sell it. Post a bunch of pictures and, if it is as sharp as you say it is and it has a clean service history and you have good service records, you should get more than $5500. Worst case, you are only out $40 and 7 days of time :). I had a good expereience selling my 93 Corvette that way. Ended up getting the "private party" Edmunds sale price.
This brings up a good point i guess, I have this Camry 1999 CE, when I bought it it had around 17000 miles. I started synthetic oils (yes transmission, engine, power steering, break fluid) in it. services are done before time as in transmission oil change every 20K, timing belt change @ 70K and stuff like that. still performs like "just outta factory" @ 155000. still gives me around 38 to 40/MPG on highway and edmunds says private party price would be around 5 to 6 grand. so whats the point spending all those money for all those good stuff? so I concluded, once you buy a car and maintain it nicely, don't sell it just drive it untill wheels falls off.

andyman
03-30-05, 12:26 PM
I'd keep it till the wheels fall off, but this is a Catera and that could happen at any time.:)

stevehogan
03-30-05, 12:30 PM
Your point is excellent. I tend to do the same type of maintenance as you describe and only dump the car for some external reason - such as selling my beloved 93 vette roadster when I moved to Wisconsin :crying2: I also tend to acquire cars that are two to three years old but that have been maintained well, unless it is a company car and someone else is paying for it :) A properly-maintained vehicle will run "forever" and, as long as it still looks good, there is no real reason to replace it. Even when the maintenance costs seem to exceed the "value" of the car you can make the arguement that it still makes sense to do the repairs. And in many states, when a car passes a certain age, license plate fees drop considerably.