: Interior lights won't turn off

joshie4ever
03-23-05, 04:33 PM
Like the title says, the interior light wont cut off even when all the doors are closed and when the engine is off. I can get them to turn off if i pull the fuse out for the body, but that a lot of trouble to go through when I need the lights on in the car.

I have a 86 Fleetwood Brough. Anybody know what this might be ?

carnut
03-24-05, 10:06 PM
Try rotating the chrome ring behind the headlight switch, might be rotated to the domelight "on" position? Also one of the jamb switches at one of the doors could be out of adjustment, not fully pushed in when door shuts.

scurling
03-25-05, 06:50 PM
Josh
Do the lights ever turn off?

Even if a door switch is bad, or the light switch is rotated "on" , the lights should go out after 8 to 10 min.

Oh, what vehicle are we talking about?????

brougham
03-25-05, 07:09 PM
The knob behind the headlight switch doesn't have anything to do with the inside lights. If the lights are turned on with the headlight switch or a door is left open I think the lights will always stay on. At least they do on my 1991 Brougham D'Elegance.

He said he has a 1986.

scurling
03-25-05, 07:36 PM
Doh! ...my bad.

I'm not specifically familiar with the '86. I was seeking more info. on the problem.

fleetwood76
03-26-05, 05:25 PM
Hello.
On the -87 brougham there is also a switch in the door handles on the driver and front pass. door, that turn on the interior light as soon you push the knob on the handle in. I belive it is so on the -86 as well, so there you have one more place there could be a fault. Since the switches in the handles are located in the door the wires to them must pass from the body to the door, and that is a classic place for making spooky electrical faults, due to cracked and broken cables. I hope you find the fault without have to take the car to much apart.
Good luck. / jolle

Cadilac
03-27-05, 01:35 AM
For what it is worth, I can tell you what a likely cause is on a 93-96 (can't say for sure on an 86).

The lights will eventually time out (about 10 minutes) on those models (battery saver). If your car does that, try opening and closing a door other than the one you have been opening and closing. If the lights then go out, it is not that door. You may be able to do the same thing by pulling the fuse if putting the fuse back in doesn't turn the lights back on. At any rate, this would help you isolate which door is causing the problem.

If you get that far, the most likely cause is the wedge switch. The door lock cylinder is held on by a C-Clip spring. The wedge switch is part of that that C-Clip and attached to it. It's the same attachment as many other GM cars only most GM cars don't have the switch. Most likely it is just loose. You can also clean it with some electrical cleaner like they have at AutoZone if that doesn't do it, because it might be dirty. Don't soak the little rubber cap. You can test it if you have it out, just use an ohm meter to see if it goes to full resistance when you push the switch - it's the same as touching the two test probes together on the ohm meter without the switch.

You have to take the door panel off to get at it. On the later models there is a three way extension harness in the lower back corner that also goes to two other electrical connections near the door hinge as well as the wedge switch. If the above doesn't fix it (it probably will), you can start there to do some more cleaning and look for a short.

joshie4ever
03-27-05, 03:29 PM
For what it is worth, I can tell you what a likely cause is on a 93-96 (can't say for sure on an 86).

The lights will eventually time out (about 10 minutes) on those models (battery saver). If your car does that, try opening and closing a door other than the one you have been opening and closing. If the lights then go out, it is not that door. You may be able to do the same thing by pulling the fuse if putting the fuse back in doesn't turn the lights back on. At any rate, this would help you isolate which door is causing the problem.

If you get that far, the most likely cause is the wedge switch. The door lock cylinder is held on by a C-Clip spring. The wedge switch is part of that that C-Clip and attached to it. It's the same attachment as many other GM cars only most GM cars don't have the switch. Most likely it is just loose. You can also clean it with some electrical cleaner like they have at AutoZone if that doesn't do it, because it might be dirty. Don't soak the little rubber cap. You can test it if you have it out, just use an ohm meter to see if it goes to full resistance when you push the switch - it's the same as touching the two test probes together on the ohm meter without the switch.

You have to take the door panel off to get at it. On the later models there is a three way extension harness in the lower back corner that also goes to two other electrical connections near the door hinge as well as the wedge switch. If the above doesn't fix it (it probably will), you can start there to do some more cleaning and look for a short.

Thats what it was. I recently just replaced a door on my car, and the lights were working fine for a few days. I just got out of it one day and closed the dorr and the lights stayed on all night and killed the battery. Thanks for your help guys =)