: XTS Navigation and weather with XM or Onstar

Bejaip
08-19-13, 07:38 AM
I am a lil confused is the navigation in my XTS with onstar or with XM radio. Onstar says its with them but then XM says the weather is through them.

gohawks63
08-19-13, 06:05 PM
I am a lil confused is the navigation in my XTS with onstar or with XM radio. Onstar says its with them but then XM says the weather is through them.

Do you have in-dash navigation? If so that navigation is separate from On-Star and does not require a subscription. Regardless, On-Star does offer turn by turn that requires a subscription.

The only "Navigation" features you get from XM is Navtraffic and that can only be had if you have the in-dash navigation.

Cadjiek
08-19-13, 06:18 PM
Weather is thru XM.

Bejaip
08-20-13, 07:57 AM
so if I cancel my xm or get a cheaper package it will not affect my navigation. I have a in dash navigation. How does nav traffic work. What are other XTS owners recommendation on xm and on star

RockvilleXTS
08-20-13, 09:35 AM
Nav traffic is inadequate, in my opinion. In the DC area, it only displays traffic on the interstates and it is slow to update. Compared to MapQuest, it's a complete waste. I told the XM rep when she called at the end of my 3-month trial period that after this year (pre-paid year) I would not be renewing. I only wish we could have a MapQuest app within CUE and have live traffic on all roads!

Bejaip
08-20-13, 10:24 AM
I hope when they do the new stuff on the iphone that it integrates better with CUE. Maybe you can use your phones maps or something. So but let me make sure I understand this correct the maps in my XTS will still work if I cancel the XM package?

gohawks63
08-20-13, 10:06 PM
so if I cancel my xm or get a cheaper package it will not affect my navigation. I have a in dash navigation. How does nav traffic work. What are other XTS owners recommendation on xm and on star

It will not affect navigation, but could affect Navtraffic.

Navtraffic highlights traffic flows on the interstates.

Red dots = congestion
Yellow = slow
Green = full speed

It will also highlight accidents, incidents and construction.

----------

Nav traffic is inadequate, in my opinion. In the DC area, it only displays traffic on the interstates and it is slow to update. Compared to MapQuest, it's a complete waste. I told the XM rep when she called at the end of my 3-month trial period that after this year (pre-paid year) I would not be renewing. I only wish we could have a MapQuest app within CUE and have live traffic on all roads!

I have had Navtraffic since 2006 when I bought my Acura RL and now with my '12 CTS coupe. It works well enough for me. I also like how it will find alternate routes for you if your set route takes you through a congested area.

----------

I hope when they do the new stuff on the iphone that it integrates better with CUE. Maybe you can use your phones maps or something. So but let me make sure I understand this correct the maps in my XTS will still work if I cancel the XM package?

Yes.

Bejaip
08-21-13, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the info. What about the built in weather app will that still work if I cancel either onstar or xm

gohawks63
08-21-13, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the info. What about the built in weather app will that still work if I cancel either onstar or xm

Yes I believe it will stop working if you cancel XM.

Onstar has nothing to do with the in dash Nav aside from the ability of OnStar mobile app to send an address to the in dash Nav.

Bejaip
08-21-13, 10:18 AM
Well thats a bummer because I kind of like the weather app. Maybe I can talk XM down

r34220
08-21-13, 01:14 PM
Well thats a bummer because I kind of like the weather app. Maybe I can talk XM down

I just pay XM for weather (included in travel link) and traffic for 3 months its $17.94. Just weather (Travel link) is 5.97 for 3 months. One month prices are $3.99 for Traffic and $1.99 for Travel Link

Bejaip
08-21-13, 02:17 PM
see i wouldnt mind paying for traffic and some of the basic stations you know. But they try and lock you in for years. Your best bet is to say you want to cancel and then they will transfer you and then try to give you a better deal

gohawks63
08-21-13, 02:49 PM
see i wouldnt mind paying for traffic and some of the basic stations you know. But they try and lock you in for years. Your best bet is to say you want to cancel and then they will transfer you and then try to give you a better deal

I only go year to year and don't automatically renew. The best price I have ever gotten is $70 annually for the music and $40+ for traffic.

Travlcub
08-24-13, 06:08 PM
I live in Seattle and it never has accurate reports. XM Traffic is junk

----------

I traded in my 2012 VW Passat and the gas prices would be posted, does the XTS have this with XM? XM says yes the dealer is not sure...