: '06 CTS V programmer

06VaporTrail
08-19-13, 12:19 AM
Does any one have a recommendation for a programmer? I have a '06 CTS V and just wanted to know if it is worth buying, any noticeable performance gains?
Thanks in advance.

Randy

Naf
08-19-13, 06:07 AM
Hp tuners or efi live

sssnake
08-19-13, 01:21 PM
HP Tuners here. It was a tough decision for me as I initially settled on EFI Live. However, my tuner uses HP Tuners so I caved and went that route. And yes even with HP Tuners I am using a tuner. I am a newb but want to learn.

Naf
08-19-13, 01:33 PM
I have both, hp is easier to navigate but efi is easier to calibrate.

Go with the hp tuners, its still a good tunin device

RyRidesMotoX
08-19-13, 04:35 PM
And yes even with HP Tuners I am using a tuner. I am a newb but want to learn.

No shame in that... I'd rather pay a few hundred to have a pro tune it rather than pay thousands to have the motor rebuilt

06VaporTrail
08-20-13, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the help. So is it a noticeable difference? I have been into the GN's for years and this is all new to me. I have owned this car for 2 months and it's a blast to drive. I have the K&N cold air intake, skip shift elimination kit, Corsa exh, 180 thermostat and just changed plugs, wires and all fluids. Not looking to make a drag car but something quick and handles good. I have plans for all of the bushing and motor mount replacement.
Ok, has anyone changed the clutch fluid , is it recommended often?
Thanks for all of the posts!!

Randy

sssnake
08-21-13, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the help. So is it a noticeable difference? I have been into the GN's for years and this is all new to me. I have owned this car for 2 months and it's a blast to drive. I have the K&N cold air intake, skip shift elimination kit, Corsa exh, 180 thermostat and just changed plugs, wires and all fluids. Not looking to make a drag car but something quick and handles good. I have plans for all of the bushing and motor mount replacement.
Ok, has anyone changed the clutch fluid , is it recommended often?
Thanks for all of the posts!!

Randy

With the two systems mentioned you are changing data in the ecu. The emphasis there is on you. You can make it better or you can make it worse. Neither provides a canned tune although you may be able to find one through forums or their websites. The point is these systems let you calibrate for your car, your set of mods, and if you are really adventurous your set of atmospheric conditions.

With the mods you listed I would expect to see gains but not dramatic gains. One of these tuning packages with wide band O2 will be in the $1000 range. You could likely spend that money elsewhere and see bigger gains but those additional mods will likely put you in a situation where you need a tune to realize the majority of the benefit of the mod.

Changing tranny fluid is a good idea. There are threads on this forum giving you an optimal mix of fluids.