: Tranny problems. (Wow that sounds wrong)

thepitboss
03-23-05, 08:05 AM
I have an '83 deville w/ 4.1L the tran. started shooting craps about 6-8 monts ago. Started by not shifting out if 3rd into overdrive. Then one day driving 70mph down the highway I heard my engine rev. really high and so I started to pull over because the transmission was not doing anything. So I get off the road and shut the car off. I go and pull the tran. stick and check the fluid level and looks a little burnt. I call my friend to come and pick me up and started waiting. Figured I would try it out and I was able to drive it to the next exit. After doing this for a couple of times I was able to get it home. I did a tranny filter kit and replaced the fluid and it worked ok, but it still has the high shift points. I am thinking about replacing the tranny with a junk yard one, but I figured that I would get some opinions before I do that much leg work.

The Ape Man
03-23-05, 08:37 PM
Check the detent cable. That is the cable which goes from the throttle body to the trans. Look for binding or broken strands. The cable can be adjusted. Perhaps someone will scan and post the proceedure here if you don't have access to a shop manual.

thepitboss
03-24-05, 07:04 AM
I tried/replaced it about a year ago, I will double check it and see. Thanks

caliguy65
03-25-05, 01:41 PM
Just wanted to see if the cable helped? I am having the same kind of problems with my transmission. I was just going to rebuild it but if the cable works it would be allot less trouble.

N0DIH
03-25-05, 02:00 PM
Check the detent cable. That is the cable which goes from the throttle body to the trans. Look for binding or broken strands. The cable can be adjusted. Perhaps someone will scan and post the proceedure here if you don't have access to a shop manual.

What Ape said and below.
Just press in the detent that locks the cable adjust and press the cable IN towards the firewall a little bit. Then move throttle to WOT, it will click till it self adjusts. Do this ever 6 months to accomodate cable stretch. Make sure it is is properly adjusted. A mis adjusted TV cable can lunch a trans in a few miles.

Personally, I adjust using the gas pedal, not the throttle on the TBI. It is more accurate to your driving and what you can actually make it do. My THM200C w/307 Olds in a Cutlass lasted 260K+ miles and never had the trans out of the car. Just synthetic trans oil at 3rd trans oil change starting at 150K and all has been fine. Even put in a Olds 350 at 186K and still no issues. Don't abuse it and it was a good trans. The THM200C is still on the road to day with the 5th owner of the car...

Or do the factory set and then move the set back in 1 notch, this will allow for a little higher shift points and firmer shifts (aka, more pressure, leading to a longer trans life). It worked for me but anytime you stand on the gas you will need to go readjust it if it resets again.

Do this with engine off, please....

Tom

Spock
03-26-05, 01:14 AM
I just bought a 88 brougham and have been busy fixing her up. The transmission worked fine when I bought it, and I changed the fluid/filter recently and a few days later it slips from OD to 2nd. I've been driving it in 3rd (since I don't go above 80km anyway heh) but I'm wondering if it's that cable too?

Perhaps even too much fluid would do that too? It was a little high...not frothing high...but I didn't think that'd make a difference. Busy busy busy! Have to overhaul the carb and clean it some more!

On an aside, this is the second time when I've cleaned the engine the check engine light goes on lol! My 86 did it, and now the 88! Like father like son.

thepitboss
03-26-05, 07:57 AM
Over filling can have a big effect on the trans. just like being low. That is why trans. are so tempermental to work on.