: what do yall think

elwesso
02-08-03, 09:07 PM
If you havent already noticed, i am in the used car market. Today, I went to go look at a seville, and as soon as i asked the guy said it was a piece of junk, and he didnt want to sell it to me. But, he offered my a 94 or 95 infiniti Q45. If you dont already know, it has a 296hp V8 with 296 ft/lbs of torque. Also, he had a mercedes in stock, but it was on a test drive, so i didnt get to see it. Let me know what you guys think of those, ill hopefully get some more info soon.

Brett
02-08-03, 09:19 PM
what model of mercedes?...what year seville?...i would say no to the Infiniti...it wasnt just a bad ad campaign that sunk them in the early nineties..in my opinion if youre looking at japanese a used LS400 is the best way to go...they are not cheap and hold their value extremely well but if you were looking at a mercedes its probably in the same ballpark

elwesso
02-08-03, 09:25 PM
Well i dont about the mercedes, he said he had one, and I was in a hurry so i had to go. I emailed him, and hopefully he'll get back to me tomorrow.

Anyway, it was 94 STS. He said it was a consignment, and said it ran bad. He said the tranny jerked, and it was "on its way out".

I kinda liked that Q45, i didnt drive it, but it looked nice. The only thing i saw is that the drivers side had a rip. It was really dirty, so i didnt inspect the outside too well. I dont really like the exterior design a whole lot, but it was ok. I liked the fact that it can really move, and he said they really last forever.

I will give you information as it is given to me.

Thanks for your help

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 11:03 PM
Q45 does look like a nice alternative to our big ol cads. For some reason you don't see them as often as other luxury sedans of its class.

elwesso
02-08-03, 11:05 PM
I noticed that. I looked at it, and i thought to myself that i wanted something that moved. The moment he said "32 valve, 300hp", that opened new doors for me.

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 11:07 PM
new q45 is faster than our cads and they seem more advance than most other sedans out there
345hp with lots of tech gadgets

elwesso
02-08-03, 11:10 PM
How would a 94 Q45 stack up against cads. I am almost more leaning toward the Q, because they are more reliable than the northstar. I know you all are going to say they aren't, but i think OVERALL they are.

Also, what do you think of maybe a 91 MB 300SE, 92Lexus Ls400, or a 97 infiniti I30?

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 11:14 PM
i don't know much about the q but you don't see too many of them. If you don't mind me asking what's your budget for the car?

elwesso
02-08-03, 11:16 PM
Well, i am not spending too much more than 8k. The one i was referring to was a 94, with 118k. He wants 5300. I think it is a good car, he has been driving it for 3 months.

Brett
02-08-03, 11:21 PM
the original Q's are not well known for reliability...thats not to say they are bad...my advice is the Lexus...probably not good advice on a cadillac board, but these cars are very well known for reliability....i guess it depends on the actual car

elwesso
02-08-03, 11:22 PM
I looked it up, and the 94 year is when they started to have the better reliability. It was 93 and down that was bad, but you may know something i dont.

Brett
02-08-03, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Devil_concours
new q45 is faster than our cads and they seem more advance than most other sedans out there
345hp with lots of tech gadgets

the tests ive seen they are similar to the cads and they still lose to the LS430 which has 50 less hp...infiniti is finally getting it together with the G35 and FX45 but the Q is still not a worthy flagship...imho

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 11:25 PM
make sure you get a carfax report before you make your purchase.

Brett
02-08-03, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by elwesso
I looked it up, and the 94 year is when they started to have the better reliability. It was 93 and down that was bad, but you may know something i dont.

very possible i am far from an expert on mid 90's Infinitis

elwesso
02-08-03, 11:26 PM
Well your not a cadillac fan to know alot about nissan.

elwesso
02-08-03, 11:28 PM
What do you think about the benz's

Brett
02-08-03, 11:29 PM
imho a car purchase should come down to what you like...when i bought my sls people asked why not a bmw or a lexus...but the thing is, i liked the cadillac...it sounds like you like this Q, so I say go for it

Brett
02-08-03, 11:31 PM
What do you think about the benz's

you can never go wrong with a benz...always rate as best resale value...dont know much about early 90's benzes either

elwesso
02-08-03, 11:32 PM
I like everything except 1 thing: The exterior. But at that price, i get used to that. And i really didnt get to see that actual color, because it took on the most common color of the midwest--- 2 tone salt white.

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 11:32 PM
94 q45 only has 278hp 32 valve v8
and the gas mileage is horrible.

here is an review i found online

A nose job sometimes works wonders for the appearance.

It certainly has for Infiniti, where the top-of-the-line Q45 sports a new schnoz and the addition of a grille and fog lamps for a midyear entry of its 1994 version.

In an attempt to instill some freshness in a line that's five years old, Infiniti also added larger headlights, new bumpers and fenders, revised door mirrors and chrome exhaust tips to the Q45.

Nothing earthshaking, but enough cosmetics for a slightly younger appearance.

The folks from Nissan also boast of 70 other enhancements to the car, including the addition of dual air bags, an upgraded audio system, softer leather for the seats, wood accents and cupholders in the console. In the Q45a model, traction control and a trunk-mounted compact-disc changer player were made standard.

There's lots of attention to details, such as automatic power mirrors that tilt down when you put the gear selector in reverse so you get a better view of the curb and any objects near it when backing up; and a sun visor with push-button controls so you needn't fight to remove the visor from a holder and leave it hanging in your way when not in use because you can't get it back into the holder.

Also, there are automatic seat and steering-wheel controls so the seat powers backward and the wheel up and forward to allow added exit room when you turn the ignition off-and then return to their former positions when you re-enter and turn the ignition on; and a fuel-filler door-release button under the armrest that's easy to use.

Also, you need only press key-fob buttons to lock and unlock the doors, release the trunk lid, lower the windows or, should you spot a stranger nearby, set off the alarm; plus, you get 24-hour roadside assistance in the event of a breakdown and free loaner cars with scheduled service appointments.

You want pampering, Infiniti gives it to you.

And the Q45 leaves no doubt as to whether it has sufficient power to handle a full complement of passengers or steep hills. The 4.5-liter, 32-valve, 278-horsepower V-8 engine teamed with a four-speed automatic transmission doesn't lack energy. The 0-to-60 m.p.h. time in this rear-wheel-drive sedan is 7.1 seconds. Unfortunately, the price you pay for leading the pack is a 15 m.p.g. city/21 highway fuel-economy rating and a $1,000 gas-guzzler tax.

We test-drove the Q45t. The "t" stands for the addition of a touring package to the regular Q45, including such features as four-wheel steering, alloy wheels, performance tires, rear deck spoiler, front and rear stabilizer bars, speed-sensitive power steering and heated front seats.

Ride and handling are above average, and the Q45 sits flat in the corners, with no perceptible lean or sway, thanks to the suspension, the four-wheel steering and optional ($1,500) traction control. The latter was especially helpful when water covered the pavement. Traction control gets you moving in a straight line without loss of steering control regardless of road conditions, just as anti-lock brakes bring you to a secure stop. Anti-lock brakes are standard in all Q45s.

The combination of traction control, anti-lock brakes and dual air bags is an all-encompassing insurance policy.

That's not to say the Q45t is without flaws.

The most annoying are the stiff-as-a-board seat backs for driver and passenger. Some Infiniti insiders said owners didn't want mushy, sofa like seats because they don't allow aggressive driving. Hogwash. You can have a firm, supportive seat without stitching leather over a block of granite. Sitting in the Q45t seats was as comfortable as trying to sit on a step stool while watching a Bulls game on the tube. The seat stiffness was out of place with Infiniti's luxury image.

The biggest irritant, of course, is the price. Here's a car that was unveiled in Noveber 1989 as a 1990 model with a hefty, $38,000 price tag. Just a few model years later the Q45 is a $47,500 machine, and the upgraded Q45t starts at an even heftier $50,600, which includes the gas-guzzler tax but not the 10 percent luxury tax you'll have to pay on the portion of the transaction price that exceeds $30,000.

History hints price has played a role in the Q45's fortunes. Sales in 1990 totaled 13,908, while last year sales stood at 12,216. Infiniti says 1992 sales were down because people were waiting for the newly styled '93. We can't help but think, however, that the rising value of the yen against the dollar and the subsequent price increases by Japanese automakers have had an impact.

For '93 Infiniti is counting on Q45 sales rising to 16,000 as evidence that price is no object and that what buyers have been waiting for is new styling. Time will tell.

Standard equipment also includes a power sunroof; power, heated outside mirrors; tinted glass; power seats; carpeted floor mats; air conditioning with automatic temperature control; cruise control; power windows; power door locks; rear-window defroster; AM/FM Bose stereo with cassette and power antenna; prewiring for a cellular phone and CD changer; dual trip odometers; and an analog quartz clock that looks like it was lifted from a Jaguar instrument panel.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 01:14 AM
I'd say benz

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 01:15 AM
91 benz looks like a box though

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 01:23 AM
or lexus it a tough choice

kcnewell
02-09-03, 02:02 AM
For day to day driving....If it's not a Cadillac it not worth having...And I would never even consider driving a RICE GRINDER!

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 02:08 AM
well kc current q45 does have more powerful engine than our cads. I guess you have to give little bit more respect than a RICE GRINDER.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 02:10 AM
I couldn't bring my self to buying a rice burner either, a kraut burner on the other hand I'd do :D

kcnewell
02-09-03, 02:18 AM
It's ALL RICE to me!

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 02:20 AM
I guess its the german in me

elwesso
02-09-03, 10:51 AM
Personally, I want a caddy, but if i cant find that, then im gonna have to go with one of those. Besides, they are ricers. Ricers are mainly the subcompacts. Although, you can ricify about anything.

Do you know of any problems that any of these have. I know i am probably asking the wrong people (cadillac people about imports). I have heard that MBs are bulletproof, same with infiniti and lexus. Tell me what you know.

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 11:12 AM
mbs are bullet proof. I don't know much about q45s other than they have the worse gas mileage i've ever seen in a car. Lexus is known to be reliable.

elwesso
02-09-03, 11:14 AM
ok, thanks for the help. How much worse are they than cadillacs?

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 11:20 AM
15 city/21 highway

elwesso
02-09-03, 11:22 AM
thats not too good, but it seems that what my GTP gets, surprisingly. What do the caddys with northstar get?

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 11:24 AM
um gtp is rated at 19mpg/28mpg irc. When i had mine i managed to get 30mpg on the highway and 18in the city usage.
cadillac is about the same except it's rated at 27mpg on the highway.

elwesso
02-09-03, 11:27 AM
ok. Well i drive it hard, so that is why :0

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 11:29 AM
i guess you will be getting lot lower figures with the q.
Let's look at it this way
old benz = solid
new benz = crappy chrysler quality
nissan = not so good in reliability
toyota = very good reliaility

elwesso
02-09-03, 11:31 AM
I always heard nissan was good reliability wise. But is toyota better?

Brett
02-09-03, 11:55 AM
I always heard nissan was good reliability wise. But is toyota better?

Toyota/Lexus is one of the the top 2 most reliable makes out there....the other being Mercedes...imo the bottom line is the LS400/430 is the best luxury car in the world...incredible reliability...incredible resale value...incredible engineering...and the base price is 55k...i dont care much for japanes cars either and the Q is definitely not percieved as a fine luxury automobile by most people/auto journalists...even the newest model which is loaded with gadgets in almost every article i read is always rated below Lexus,MB,BMW,Jag...the rumors from infiniti is that the Q replacement is coming sooner rather than later.

elwesso
02-09-03, 12:39 PM
How much more reliable are they than the northstar-equipped cars?

Katshot
02-09-03, 12:56 PM
Not even in the same town, let alone same ball-park.
It doesn't surprise me to hear KC crapping on anything other than an "American made" car but like it or not, the Japanese imports are what FORCED America to improve their cars.
The Lexus is an incredible car. Until you drive one (a brand new one), you shouldn't comment on them.
The Q from Infinity is a hot-rod and still a well built car.
If the price tag's a little steep for you, they have another car, the M45 that has all the GO with a little less SHOW.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 01:12 PM
I've driven a Lexus a couple of times (A guy I know just bought a 2003 LS something or other top of the line)....I'll take the Cadillac! True the Japanese DID force the American companies to improve their cars.....And we did! So given the choice I will always drive an AMERICAN car first! I would drive them even if they hadn't improved them! I BUY AMERICAN! First and always unless the product I need is NOT made here. If you want to call me a Flag waver....By all means please do!

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 01:19 PM
Flag waver flag waver
i couldn't resist....
Back on the topic. I haven't heard anything good about nissan's reliability. They make worse gas guzzlers than anyone else now including the americans. As noted by the review q45 is said to have an uncomfortable seats. So i guess you need to take it out for a test drive before you make your decision.
and q45 is not rated at 295hp it's 278hp. Japan has a law that prevents automakers from making cars with over 278hp.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 01:23 PM
I've seen 'em drive over there.....They should definetly LOWER the standard! I'm thinkin' bicycle!

Brett
02-09-03, 01:36 PM
Flag waver flag waver
i couldn't resist....
Back on the topic. I haven't heard anything good about nissan's reliability. They make worse gas guzzlers than anyone else now including the americans. As noted by the review q45 is said to have an uncomfortable seats. So i guess you need to take it out for a test drive before you make your decision.
and q45 is not rated at 295hp it's 278hp. Japan has a law that prevents automakers from making cars with over 278hp.

the new Q has 340, and that "law" is a joke, it was more of an understanding than anything else and it was broken all the time...i.e. Supra, Skyline, EVO, it was like the old detroit days...Nissan says yea the skyline has 275 hp..then it runs a 5 flat 0-60...and 13 flat 1/4 mile..hmmm seems more like 350 hp..Nissan will be the first to openly break the agreement...i read an article a few weeks ago that the new skyline will have 400 advertised hp

Brett
02-09-03, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by kcnewell
I've driven a Lexus a couple of times (A guy I know just bought a 2003 LS something or other top of the line)....I'll take the Cadillac! True the Japanese DID force the American companies to improve their cars.....And we did! So given the choice I will always drive an AMERICAN car first! I would drive them even if they hadn't improved them! I BUY AMERICAN! First and always unless the product I need is NOT made here. If you want to call me a Flag waver....By all means please do!

i agree for the most part, i did buy a caddy even though i just posted that i thought lexus was the best luxury car for the money. I have high hopes for the future of cadillac as i will be in the market in 10 months...i hope the CTS-v is as good as their saying or i may wait for the new sts

Brett
02-09-03, 01:42 PM
heres an article about the new skyline and has some info about the japanese hp agreement...the dollars are in australian so the cars mentioned wont cost that much

http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2003/02/06/FFXW0T9KTBD.html

elwesso
02-09-03, 01:45 PM
So, Katshot, you think that lexus, infiniti and MB are that much more reliable than cadillac?

Katshot
02-09-03, 02:10 PM
Reliability is hard word to pin-down when you try to apply it to cars. You could look at warranty claims, recalls, and service bulletins and have a relatively good idea about a car's reliability. But usually, whenever you mention a statistic, or some other claim that is backed-up by numbers, you'll have someone telling you that their brother, mother, cousin, etc. had one and their feelings were just the opposite.
I think the safest statement for me to make is that I feel the Japanese and German cars (overall) are better designed and built. I also think that their fit and finish are better overall. Now does that translate into that I think they are more reliable, or just plain BETTER? I can only say MAYBE.
My take on most European cars, and many Japanese cars is that although they MAY be technically better cars, that doesn't mean I want to own or drive one everyday. They have a sterile feeling to them. They FEEL like machines. Usually, I just don't feel comfortable in them. But that's me ;)

elwesso
02-09-03, 02:45 PM
OK. Thanks for your opionion

I went down and looked at another benz. It is a 1984 380SE with 212,000 miles. It has a newly rebuilt engine, and tranny. Are the older ones like that the bulletproof ones. They want $5400 for it.

I also called the people about that 91 300SE, and it has 143k. They said it was in good condition. Let me know if you think this is too high mileage for these cars. They want 5400 for it.

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 03:42 PM
i know that they sell a lot of cars with figures in 280 when in fact it gets dynoed over 300 (ie evolution, wrx, supra, 300z, skyline gtr r32/33/34....)
But the q in question was from 94 which was not long after the agreement.

elwesso
02-09-03, 03:46 PM
Im not sure i understand what your saying.

All i want to know is how these benz's hold up to these mileages. I hate to say this, but there is not 1 cadillac northstar out there with 212k that has not had a rebuilt engine and or tranny.

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 03:49 PM
just hi jacking your thread to have another discussion with brett. don't mind us.
Anyways q45 is advertised as 278hp here so i guess it's almost safe to say that q's are 278hp.

Brett
02-09-03, 04:54 PM
just hi jacking your thread to have another discussion with brett. don't mind us.
Anyways q45 is advertised as 278hp here so i guess it's almost safe to say that q's are 278hp.

yea i agree...i believe japanese automakers have always advertised correct hp here

Brett
02-09-03, 04:56 PM
Im not sure i understand what your saying.

All i want to know is how these benz's hold up to these mileages. I hate to say this, but there is not 1 cadillac northstar out there with 212k that has not had a rebuilt engine and or tranny.

the old guniess world record high mileage car was a Diesel Benz with over a million miles on it...so if thats an indication you should be in good shape

elwesso
02-09-03, 06:31 PM
Thats a lot of miles

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 06:36 PM
that is quite a few miles for car

elwesso
02-09-03, 06:43 PM
Do you think that they are really that bulletproof?. I joined another board, a mercedes board, so ill se what they say.

Brett
02-09-03, 06:54 PM
Do you think that they are really that bulletproof?. I joined another board, a mercedes board, so ill se what they say.

i think mercedes on average is going to be very reliable, but you will only be buying 1 and a used 1 at that, so other factors will come into play, like how the previous owners treated and maintained it, if you get an average mercedes your good, the people on the mercedes board will probably give you more model specific info than we can, so its probably a good place to start.

elwesso
02-09-03, 07:02 PM
Ok. Thanks for the help.... I know a CADILLAC forums isnt the best place to get information on MBs, Lexus and Infiniti.

I just signed up on a MB and Infiniti board, and they dont look near as good as this one. I browsed around, and there are at least 10 threads per page that havent been replied too. That really isnt too effective, espescially if your trying to get informtion.

BTW, another factor i was thinking of was can regular mechanics work on these puppies. I mean if its an older one, they really dont have too much in the way of sophisitcated computers, so i would assume that they could do it. Let me know what you think.

Brett
02-09-03, 07:04 PM
Ok. Thanks for the help.... I know a CADILLAC forums isnt the best place to get information on MBs, Lexus and Infiniti.

I just signed up on a MB and Infiniti board, and they dont look near as good as this one. I browsed around, and there are at least 10 threads per page that havent been replied too. That really isnt too effective, espescially if your trying to get informtion.

you'll just have to tell the salesman"hey I really like the Q and the Mercedes but cadillac has better online boards so I think i'll take the Seville":D

elwesso
02-09-03, 07:06 PM
Yeah, but there could be a slight problem. IF I CANT FIND A CADILLAC TO BUY!!!!!!! I really dont want to buy from a private seller, unless its a great deal. Id rather deal with a dealer, because if like something goes wrong within a few days, if they are a good dealer, they would at least help.

BeelzeBob
02-09-03, 07:36 PM
You need to check eBay or cars.com or something. Look at the near mint condition Caddy I sold last year for $8k with about 110k on it. Here's a link with pictures and info:

http://www.80sxchange.com/caddy.htm

If you just look and be patient, you'll find something really great.

Here's what I have to say about all of this. If you can get a Lexus LS or GS mid to late 90's for the same price, go for it. But you can't.. Yes, they've got better build quality. And, they're Toyota's.. Know what that means? Less problems than any other car on the road..

No. Don't buy an old used Mercedes. If you're interested in a Cadillac, it's probably because you want to be driving in a prestigious car.. What's so prestigious about an old Mercedes?

Infiniti? Ahh, they're nice.. Good cars.. But don't you want to look at your car and say to yourself, "Wow. That's really my car..."?

A '95 or up STS or ETC is a very nice car to be had for a small price... With 8 or 9 thousand to spend, you should be able to get yourself into a nice Caddy AND buy a warranty for it...

BeelzeBob
02-09-03, 07:47 PM
Oh, P.S. I was just trying to find a guy I know who's had a Northstar Eldorado with over 200,000 miles with NO major problems - and still owns it.. I'm pretty sure he's local, too.. I can't find his email address, though. If I find it, I'll invite him here...

Cadillac is moving into a very good direction.. I think it would be wise to 'get in now'. :) Yes, I'm a bit biased.. But I'm that way because I've owned a few Caddy's and I really loved them all. I'm not some Caddy freak or anything. I'm just a regular guy who's been very happy with the cars. I could have started a Lexus board. Or a Mercedes board.. I think I would have had the busiest board for whichever make I wanted to start-up a forum for. But, I picked Cadillac because I really think they're going places...

elwesso
02-09-03, 07:52 PM
Here is the 1991 that im looking at. Pretty nice looking for 143k. And prestige, i think that has some...... They definitely look modern, since MB hasnt really changed their body style for a really long time.

I agree with you on the Infiniti, im not sure on the looks of that. it doesnt really look as expesnive as it is (or was when new). As far, as lexus, i have heard those puppies last forever, is that really true, and if so, which is better MB or lexus?

MB 300SE (http://www.us.trader.com/USTRoot/PhotoBase/Pubs/INDY/Individual/WHEELS/00610VS.jpg)

kcnewell
02-09-03, 07:53 PM
My old Mercedes is a very prestigious car.....I get compliments on it and offers to buy it every time I take it out. But, It's not a daily driver and I wouldn't want it to be! It has that sterile German feel to it that can't be gotten rid of no matter what you do.

elwesso
02-09-03, 07:55 PM
Do you mean its not comfortable?

BeelzeBob
02-09-03, 07:56 PM
The Mercedes looks pretty nice for the price.. Me? I'd be afraid of buying a Mercedes for 5 grand.. I dunno...

Lexus of Mercedes? What years are we talking about for the Lexus? I think the Mercedes will cost you more either way. When people see you pulling up in a Mercedes, they see dollar signs - that means the mechanics too.. Reliability.. Hmm... I'm pretty sure old Mercedes are good - but I don't know all that much about them. Toyota (Lexus) has been good for as long as I can remember..

Tell me about the Lexus you're thinking of.. Year and model...

elwesso
02-09-03, 08:00 PM
I saw a 91 LS 400 for 6750.

I am sure that with the older MBs, since they really dont have much in the way of computers, that about any ASE mechanic could work on it. Besides, i could get a service manual, and if they are that good, i would be able to do most of the stuff myself. Or do you think im off on this one.

I would preferably want a cadillac, but i cant seem to find one that i like. I dont really like the looks of the SLS, they look kinda grandma-ey. I am still not going to rule out the infiniti, but lexus or MB is what id really like to head toward. If it matters, i have another cars i have access to, so if it out of commision for a while wouldnt be devastating. But it would be my daily. If i had a choice, i would go with the benz, but if they arent too reliable, then i may consider otherwise.....

kcnewell
02-09-03, 08:20 PM
To answer the question.....Yes it's comfortable, Not plush or warm like an American luxury car but roomy and conveniant like a German car. I would not want it to be my only car by any means. It's pretty simple to work on if you're mechanically inclined and own a good set of metric tools. If I had to sell any of my cars I'd sell the Benz first. I'll never sell a Cadillac and keep a foriegn car. That is just unacceptable!

elwesso
02-09-03, 08:25 PM
OH YEA!! I forgot that german cars use metric sizes!!!

So do you think that a lot of shops would be able to work on it with no problems.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 08:25 PM
ahh and for get what you know about american metric :D everything in the us is mostly odd size metrics like 13 15 17 18 21 except 8 and 10. all the foreign metrics fasteners are even size like 12 14 16 18. it gets to be a pain when you work on old american, metric american, then imports.

elwesso
02-09-03, 08:27 PM
Well if that is going to be the least of my worries, then i think ill be OK.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 08:30 PM
MB I think is a very good car

kcnewell
02-09-03, 08:32 PM
Any decent shop could probably fix the thing with no problem! I'd just buy a Factory service manual and work on it myself. That way you know you're getting a good job and not being shaken down by some hack!

Devil_concours
02-09-03, 08:39 PM

they don't have our all star moderator line up. duh.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 08:42 PM
Geniuses Every One! LOL!

Mad'lac
02-09-03, 08:46 PM
Geniuses? And all this time I felt like a cynical madman :D

kcnewell
02-09-03, 08:49 PM
And you are, We just accept you with all of your MANY faults! LOL!

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 08:51 PM
mabey you're just a Redneck Savant like me :D

Brett
02-09-03, 08:57 PM
I saw a 91 LS 400 for 6750.

I am sure that with the older MBs, since they really dont have much in the way of computers, that about any ASE mechanic could work on it. Besides, i could get a service manual, and if they are that good, i would be able to do most of the stuff myself. Or do you think im off on this one.

I would preferably want a cadillac, but i cant seem to find one that i like. I dont really like the looks of the SLS, they look kinda grandma-ey. I am still not going to rule out the infiniti, but lexus or MB is what id really like to head toward. If it matters, i have another cars i have access to, so if it out of commision for a while wouldnt be devastating. But it would be my daily. If i had a choice, i would go with the benz, but if they arent too reliable, then i may consider otherwise.....

Alright thats it....my SLS is not Grandma-ey...i am 6'10" and 350 lbs thats a pretty scary grandma...now im with kc, if you buy anything other than American your crazy:p

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 08:59 PM
thats a big momma :D

kcnewell
02-09-03, 08:59 PM
YEAH!!! YOU GO MAN! Hey have you guys met my GRRRandmother
Say Hello Gramma Brett! LOL!!

Mad'lac
02-09-03, 09:01 PM
All about America!!!!!! Let me get some apple pie and a case of Lone Star beer!!!!! The best thing I like about my Cadillac is the trunk.....I can easily stuff 4-5 bodies in there:devil:

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 09:03 PM
how many in my trunk?

kcnewell
02-09-03, 09:03 PM
If you fold'em just right....6

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:09 PM
Hey thats just my opinion. But i dont care, i like the SLS, and i would take one. I have a fleetwood, do you not think i look grandma-ey in that??? I mean its all good. No hard feelings. I would buy american new, but used might as well go import because in MOST cases they last longer.

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:13 PM
OH, BTW, if you stack and fold you could get 7 maybe 8. In the fleetwood you could get about 9

kcnewell
02-09-03, 09:16 PM
How long you planning on keepin' it? My '91 is like new with 154,000 on it and not an oil leak or a problem! I Mean Really! I was gonna get rid of it when it wore out...But I think it never will.

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:18 PM
So you think that this would be a safe buy, meaning that this car shouldnt give me too many problems.......

I suppose i plan on keepin it until it no longer runs. I think it would be cool in 20 years to show people and say "Hey, that was my 1st car."

Brett
02-09-03, 09:20 PM
Hey thats just my opinion. But i dont care, i like the SLS, and i would take one. I have a fleetwood, do you not think i look grandma-ey in that??? I mean its all good. No hard feelings. I would buy american new, but used might as well go import because in MOST cases they last longer.

Fleetwood reminds me more of my dad than a grandma he had an 84

kcnewell
02-09-03, 09:21 PM
Which one? You've got me confused here! You've talked about so many cars my head's spinnin'!

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:22 PM
OK, anyway BACK ON TOPIC..........

KC, i was talkin about either the 84 or the 91 BENZ. I would probably lean more towards the 91, just because it has fewer miles and its newer.

I think that we have determined that the q45s suck overall, and the LS400 last forever. so basically im down to the Benz or the Lexus, decisions decisions.......

Mad'lac
02-09-03, 09:23 PM
Have you looked at the Cadillac yet? Or just going by what the salesman told you.

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:26 PM
Yes, i looked at that cadillac, and it did look nice, but i didnt drive it. He said that the day before he drove it around and it jerks, and sounds bad. I mean if a salesman says its bad enough that he doesnt want to sell it to me, then it must be bad.

Mad'lac
02-09-03, 09:29 PM
Maybe you should test drive it. I for one never believe a word salesmen tell me. He might want to unload the other cars first.

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:32 PM
I guess i never really thought about that. Ill probably be going back there this week, so i may do that.

He said it was a consignment and he couldnt sell it so he was going to give it back to the owner this week.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 09:32 PM
What model is the Benz? Stay away from the '84 get something with better parts availability. The Benz will be an expensive fix even if you do it yourself! Parts are very expensive. Check out the STS look at it drive it and see what kind of price you can get. If you get the car cheap enough then fix the tranny and you'll know where you stand with it! You can always sell it if there's a problem you can't deal with ( there probably won't be.) I don't think you'll be happy with the Benz as your only car.

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:35 PM
The 91 is a 300SE. Do you think caddy would a make a better daily car. I am pretty sure that you are going to say caddy, becuase you have shown yourself to be american car till the end. To be honest, it would be a primary car, but i may not drive it every day. I am using my parents GTP right now, and i could probably swap for just puttin around town.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 09:40 PM
A good friend of mine has a '91 300CE same car two door instead of four. She bought it used and in the first 6 months that she had it she spent $4500 in repairs. The car had 80,000 miles on it and looked and drove like new! Be Careful, They are VERY expensive to fix!

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:41 PM
But are the repairs few and far between? How are they going to be compared to a cadillac northstar?

Mad'lac
02-09-03, 09:44 PM
If you are going to use the GTP most of the time I say check out the Caddy and if you like it go for it.

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:48 PM
Well i am not saying that i would use the GTP most of the time, it is still my parents car and they need it, but if i had a caddy or benz that wasnt running right then i could use it. whatever car i decide to go for, its going to be my main mode of transportation.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 09:53 PM
Well let's see $4500 in six months. C'mon Wes I know you're not THAT dumb! That's a hell of a lot of money to spend on repairs. Look around, Take your time, find a Cadillac in better condition than the one you looked at and leave the Benz for someone that can afford the thing! A good used Cadillac will leave you with a lot more owner satisfaction than an old Benz!

elwesso
02-09-03, 09:55 PM
Brain fart, need i say more.....

Jeez, if i had to spend 4500 on repairs, another 1000 and that would be the cost of the car. If i did consider it more, i would drive it and have it inspected by a mercedes person.

But the thing is I need a car, and fairly soon. I dont really want to wait a long time for another cad to come along.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 09:59 PM
I know that this will probably tax your systems....But, Have you ever thought of going to look for a car in a larger town with more than three cars to choose from? More choices....is a good thing!

elwesso
02-09-03, 10:02 PM
Is indianapolis big enough for you??? I have searched down there, and there isnt a ton ot choose from. All of the cadillacs, even the older ones, are out of my price range. All the leftovers go to the wholesellers, and that is basically what im stuck with.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 10:04 PM
OK, Let us know what you find!

Katshot
02-09-03, 10:11 PM
Cute Brett ;)
Actually, Brett's right. The "average" MB would probably be very reliable but, when dealing with used cars, anything goes. That's why you REALLY should have a GOOD mechanic go over the car before you buy it. As for your question about "can regular mechanics work on these puppies", I'd say NO. MB's are quite different from most other cars. In some ways, they're actually closer to trucks at least as far as some of their chassis components. They're built very heavy-duty.

elwesso
02-09-03, 10:13 PM
Ok, here is a list of my prospective cars. I have been doing primarily internet searches. BTW, cars.com covers the classifieds for all the area towns.

91 300SE (http://www.us.trader.com/USTrader/vsearch.asp?GSID=942WGH0T25&EDL=3555516&EDI=4&qFromPage=RESULT&qdid=&qSO=UP&qpgN=1&qNpg=1&action=&qZip=46011&qDist=50+Miles&sMake=Mercedes-Benz&sModel=All&qMinYear=1988&qMaxYear=2004&qMinPrice=0&qMaxPrice=8000&qQry=&qSP=ALL&qSF=MAKE&qFavOnly=&qInvOnly=&qAWOnly=&qAWID=&qVPhotos=&qPhotoAdsOnly=&qDealersOnly=&qHotItem=&vItemList=3537557,3556425,3554286,3555516,3555744, 3556230,3542155,3521338&vItemCount=8&NumResults=10&qItemN=4) -- 143k

94 Eldo (http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=121637826&dealer_id=23568273&make=CAD&distance=50&max_price=8500&model=&advcd_on=n&end_year=2003&min_price=&certified=n&address=46011&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&car_year=1994)

94 Q45 (http://us.trader.com/USTrader/dlist.asp?GSID=944IYH0T26&EDL=3548296&EDI=9&qFromPage=DRESULT&qdid=1692&qSO=UP&qpgN=2&qNpg=2&action=&qZip=&qDist=&sMake=All&sModel=All&qQry=&qSP=&qSF=MAKE&vItemList=3548292,3548296,3521840,3548293,3548298, 3548297,3521853,3521846,3521847&vItemCount=19&qItemN=2&btnDetail.x=1) -- i know there is no info about it except the color, but it has 118k miles

91 LS400 (http://www.us.trader.com/USTrader/vsearch.asp?GSID=944BWF0T26&EDL=3547700&EDI=3&qFromPage=RESULT&qdid=&qSO=UP&qpgN=1&qNpg=1&action=&qZip=46011&qDist=50+Miles&sMake=Lexus&sModel=All&qMinYear=1990&qMaxYear=2004&qMinPrice=0&qMaxPrice=8000&qQry=&qSP=ALL&qSF=MAKE&qFavOnly=&qInvOnly=&qAWOnly=&qAWID=&qVPhotos=&qPhotoAdsOnly=&qDealersOnly=&qHotItem=&vItemList=3534754,3552306,3547700&vItemCount=3&NumResults=10&qItemN=3) -- Sorry, no info on this. I sent them an email, so ill be getting some info this week.

Here is a list of the Lexus's in the indianapolis area classifieds (http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/standard/results/multiple/fs_search_results.jhtml?aff=starpres&_requestid=101153)

That is all i got as of now. There are a few other dealerships i have to check out.

elwesso
02-09-03, 10:15 PM
But do you think that most dealers could work on them. There is a toyota dealer here in town, and a few others, but do you think that they couldnt handle it.

Katshot
02-09-03, 10:20 PM
Why would you take a MB to a Toyota dealer?
The BEST place is a private garage that specializes in MBs.

elwesso
02-09-03, 10:25 PM
Yeah, i was just saying that is what we have around town. There are crazier people than that. I dont think that there are any MB garages around here.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 10:28 PM
Another reason to NOT get the thing!

elwesso
02-09-03, 10:31 PM
I think i prolly wont get it, but it is still not out of the question. When people see benz, they think $$$$$$. Not that they wouldnt from a cadillac, but here in GMtown, USA, there arent MBs and other imports driving around. In fact, they are few and far between.

BeelzeBob
02-10-03, 09:03 AM
I would imagine that's because there aren't enough dealers to work on them. I don't know - there must be some reason everyone around you has a domestic automobile..

I'd forget about the Mercedes unless it had a factory warranty.. Maybe that's just because I don't know a whole lot about them.. The lexus is probably nice but 1991 is a long time ago.. I think I'd rather put a down payment on a Hyundai Sonata or XG350 and have a brand new car.. 1991 is kinda old...

Do a cars.com search and look out 50 miles or so.. Call a few people and make plans to see some cars... It sounds to me like there's not much happening near you. If there are very few imports and no good low-priced Cadillacs, that's just not the norm...

Brett
02-10-03, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
I would imagine that's because there aren't enough dealers to work on them. I don't know - there must be some reason everyone around you has a domestic automobile..

I'd forget about the Mercedes unless it had a factory warranty.. Maybe that's just because I don't know a whole lot about them.. The lexus is probably nice but 1991 is a long time ago.. I think I'd rather put a down payment on a Hyundai Sonata or XG350 and have a brand new car.. 1991 is kinda old...

Do a cars.com search and look out 50 miles or so.. Call a few people and make plans to see some cars... It sounds to me like there's not much happening near you. If there are very few imports and no good low-priced Cadillacs, that's just not the norm...

That is probably a better idea, people looking at a 12-yr old mercedes may not think $$$$$$, they may think your trying to look like you have $$$$$$ when you would have been better off with something else

Devil_concours
02-10-03, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano

sal that is a great idea
xg350 - good price and good warranty.

Dead Sled
02-10-03, 01:52 PM
mabey you should lower your standards and start looking for other cars. see if you can find a nice car for a good price insted of a great car at an outrageous price. I know really nice Chryslers can be had for a fraction of the cost od the super luxos and the have many of the same options

elwesso
02-10-03, 04:27 PM
OK, hows a 97 catera with 97k on it. they want 5900 for it. Black
89 BMW 750iL with 164,000. They want 6500.

I will work on calling some private sellers. All the ones that i have been listing have been from dealers.

Dead Sled
02-10-03, 06:31 PM
ahh thats a dealer for you. The best cars I've had were always in some ones yard. no ad in the paper, no flyers, just sittin on the lawn with a sign in the window. those are the ones you get the best deals on because they usually want to get it out of there

Mad'lac
02-10-03, 06:47 PM
ain't that the truth!! I bought my Caddy for $200 from a guy in a small town south of here.

Dead Sled
02-10-03, 06:49 PM
the only thing better is the free ones :D

elwesso
02-10-03, 06:50 PM
Well then, i guess im going to have to investigate that. The catera and the BMW are not from dealers.

What do yall know about 89 750IL

Dead Sled
02-10-03, 06:56 PM
7 series are VERY nice cars. I don't know much about the '89s but they keep getting better from 3 to 5 to 7. Me personly I'd go for a M3 and if I had the money I'd put the V12 BMW between the fenders of the M3

BeelzeBob
02-11-03, 09:36 AM
My friend had a 91 BMW 850 and it was very expensive to maintain... I would expect that to be the same of the 750... Patience...

elwesso
02-11-03, 04:21 PM
I have also heard that the older BMWs are expensive to maintain. Maybe if i could get the guy to knock down the price some, then i could afford the difference.

elwesso
02-14-03, 06:23 PM
Hey, today i just looked at a car. It is a 1991 Jaguar XJ6. 133k, blue, really nice shape, they want 4500. The only thing wrong with it is when the battery is plugged in, the alarm keeps going off. Do you think that this would be something looking into, and that the thing with the alarm would be like pulling a fuse or something.