: Dash Lights

95pearl
03-22-05, 10:25 PM
I've got a new problem now. When I turn off my car, the dash stays lit up. I replaced my battery cables but that didn't fix the problem. When I wiggle the negative cable it they go off, then I hear some type of acuator or switch engage and they pop right back on. The mechanic is scratching his head (I finally got it to do it while I was at the shop) and just keeps saying they need to do more diagnostics on it (which is starting to get costly now). Anybody with some suggestions or ideas PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know what to do. :banghead:

N0DIH
03-24-05, 03:41 PM
I had some bizzare issues like this on my 80 Trans AM. It was a shorted diode in the alternator.

Disconnect the alternator wire to see, not just the connector, the wire attached to the back as well that goes to the battery. It created a new ground path (that was normally shut off, but is also a HOT path that powered stuff in the IP) through the dash idiot light (well, gauge in my case).

Tom

95pearl
08-13-06, 08:14 PM
Ok. I've replaced the battery, the altenator, the starter. Now it seems to do it only when the car gets wet. Whenever it rains or I wash the car. The dash lights will start fllickering and then just stay on which evertually drains the battery. Anybody with some suggestions or ideas PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know what to do. :banghead:

Rick186
08-16-06, 09:55 PM
Edited below because I repeated two words.

Rick186
08-16-06, 09:58 PM
Try this:
1 - Until you can pin this down by yourself without a whale of a lot of $$$, get a battery cutout switch to kill the parasitic loss.

I had to do this on my old Dodge B250 until I found the dashboard clock was developing an internal short (!). I went to a junkyard and replaced it after I consulted God and everybody on the Allpar (Mopar or Chrysler product ) website and got some good ideas on how to trace the problem.

2 - Invest in a set of Factory Service Manuals and trace the problem yourself. I had a similar problem and tried to trace it by pulling one fuse at a time. However mine was actual damage by some rrinky-dink mechanic who cut a wire in the trunk to "fix a problem" and it cost big bucks to have the dealer trace it. They ended up dragging the zone rep down and I watched 3 guys scramble into the trunk of my FWB searching for the wires. WEIRD! But they found it.
I don't know if that's your problem, but the diagrams in your Factory Manual can help you trace tons of problems with the techniques explained in them. Ebay has bunches of them.

Good hunting.:thumbsup:

Captsolo
05-16-07, 06:15 PM
I have the same problem as 95 peral above, and it rained like hell yesterday.

Pearl.. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?

My "blower" comes on too.

Had this problem years ago - and the dealer fixed it for about $200 - it was the "blower".