: egr bench test / disassembly ?

philthy
03-22-05, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know of a way to bench test an egr valve? I got a service engine soon light, checked the codes and it came up pc1406. I took the egr valve off and cleaned it, being careful not to use too much solvent and mess up the electrical parts on the top of the valve. It had no carbon 'gunk' on it, basically just soot. The egr passages had soot, but no carbon 'gunk' in them. The pintle on the valve moves smoothly with no binding when operated by hand.

The car only kicks the 'ses' light on and displays "service emmisions system' when I am on the freeway for a few miles. It runs fine, other than an occasional stall when sitting at a light prior to cleaning the valve. It has not stalled since I cleaned the valve. I would hate to spend $120 for a new valve, and end up beign something else. Maybe it just needs a more thorough cleaning? Is there a way to disassemble it to get the guts of the valve cleaner? Any help is appreciated.http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead3.gif

Jimbad
03-26-05, 02:50 PM
I replaced my EGR and took the old one apart to see what was inside. There is no way to get it apart and put back together, so you can dismiss that notion. By the by, my old EGR behaved similarly to yours; i.e., it came on at certain times and was off at others, and it was bad. I would say that if you have mileage in the 80-100,000 range then spring for a new EGR. I don't mean to spend your money but you will more than likely solve your problem.
Jim

dkozloski
03-26-05, 05:34 PM
Disconnect the valve's electrical connector, turn on the ignition and clear the SES. IMMEDIATELY turn the key off. Hook the connector back up and turn the key on. If the problem is that the valve has not learned the correct "zero" position, this should fix it otherwise you have to take it to someone with a TECHII scan tool to force a relearn.