: coolant leak!

crazcaddyguy
08-18-13, 01:53 AM
Hey guys I've had my dts for about 3 weeks now, no major issues with it, till about 3days ago... I started smelling coolant but didn't notice any leaks....till yesterday I took the wife to the store only she got off I stayed, car on a/c on then a slight bump on temp. Gauge! Turned it off immediately and sure enough about a 7 inch puddle of dex/cool... damn it! Anywho I took the radiator plastic cover off and much to my surprise dirty full of gunk..... cleaned it up took it to the car wash washed it out good... on my way home temp. Gauge went up again?? Got home popped the hood checked the radiator and only the upper right side by the hose was hot! Other side completely cold! What gives? Got late so I couldn't start diagnosing. I'm a pretty good under a hood so I think ill start by replacing the coolant tank cap... then thermostat, hose? Maybe even a flush? Only gas 115xxx miles! Some input would be greatly appreciated guys thanks!

stormnn
08-18-13, 09:21 AM
If the puddle was under the left front corner it may be your water pump.
Norm

crazcaddyguy
08-18-13, 03:51 PM
So it looks like it's going to be the water pump! Replaced coolant container cap added some dex/cool and put it up on some ramps, and checked its coming from behind the pump! About how much will that cost me at the dealership?

Atavar
08-18-13, 04:31 PM
I'm guessing solidly in to four figures. The more I read this forum the happier I am that I bought the certified bumper-bumper warranty.

There are detailed instructions elsewhere on this board for DIY replacement. It doesn't look too tough if you have the special tool socket.

BIGDADDYCADDY07
08-18-13, 09:17 PM
if you got the warranty good for you but if you dont get a pressure test done first to locate the leak

crazcaddyguy
08-18-13, 11:08 PM
I've looked at other post about leaking coolant, and I've come across some good info. I replaced the pressure cap, filled it with coolant.....checked to see if the hose that comes from to the pressure cap on the reservoir to the pump and it's not clogged. the heater inside works good so there is no air trapped in the system.... and when I had it on the ramps I seen that the leak is coming from the back side of the water pump. Im going to attempt to do the work my self, I know I need that special tool... you guys think I should replace the thermostat, and pulleys? I know I have to replace water pump gaskets.... thanks again guys.

Rocc4Rocc
08-18-13, 11:18 PM
Check out this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-dts-forum-2006-through-2012/285580-water-pump-replacement-2007-dts.html). It has a DIY YouTube video.

Tom's Caddy
08-19-13, 09:46 AM
No special tool to remove water pump is needed anymore in 2006-2011 DTS.

crazcaddyguy
08-19-13, 01:39 PM
Rocc, thanks! Yea I checked those vids out pretty good info. That guy has a couple more on his channel about more dts how to's. Tom's thanks I had no idea about the special tool.... AutoZone has it listed when you ask about the water pump. Another question to you guys.... I was looking at the leak behind the water pump and it seems like it seems like its right where there is bolts behind the water pump almost like one of the bolts is loose??? Or is that normal for a bad water pump? Thanks again.

jazoo
08-19-13, 06:22 PM
Im going to attempt to do the work my self, I know I need that special tool... you guys think I should replace the thermostat, and pulleys? I know I have to replace water pump gaskets.... thanks again guys.

For a vehicle over 100K on the odometer, I sure would replace replace the pulleys and specially the thermostat with new dex/cool.

----------

The more I read this forum the happier I am that I bought the certified bumper-bumper warranty.

Hey Atavar,

If you purchased the certified bumper-bumper warranty then it is only for 12 months or 12,000 miles unless it is for a longer period.
If it is 12 month then, according to Murphy's Laws, problems generally crop-up 12 months after you had bought a Caddy.

stormnn
08-19-13, 07:27 PM
Parts & labour cost me $460 at a independant shop in Fla. Replaced the belt & new coolant as well. He said GM calls for 6 hrs. labour.
Norm

Atavar
08-19-13, 08:25 PM
For a vehicle over 100K on the odometer, I sure would replace replace the pulleys and specially the thermostat with new dex/cool.

----------

Hey Atavar,

If you purchased the certified bumper-bumper warranty then it is only for 12 months or 12,000 miles unless it is for a longer period.
If it is 12 month then, according to Murphy's Laws, problems generally crop-up 12 months after you had bought a Caddy.

the warranty they sold me is 4 years and is supposed to cover everything including tires and bulbs.. It was *not* cheap, but neither is fixing a caddi. The car would have included 3 months of the same warranty in the sale price, but I was feeling insecure and opted for the full deal. They "said" I could cancel warranty coverage any time i want, and I figure that six months and a day is prolly the proof point.

crazcaddyguy
08-20-13, 01:03 AM
Yeah 2 of the dealerships we have here want about $800 to $900! Im just going to do it my self! About $400 and the satisfaction of me doing it!

crazcaddyguy
08-25-13, 12:34 AM
ok guys did the water pump today...... whoa man! that was time consuming. need to finish up the wiring connectors and little dodads, but other wise pretty much done. one recommendation i have is buying parts off ebay or amazon i saved a lot of cash! all parts were ac/delco except the thermostat (stant) ... but im glad i did the work my self saved me about $1000.00! would do it again. even had a independent shop refuse to work on it ...:hmm: this youtube vid really helped me out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nusRv0aWw7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGp-RCNBCY

jazoo
08-25-13, 12:00 PM
Hey Crazcaddyguy;

I'm proud of you that you managed to pull the water pump replacement project on your own. This must have been a time consuming & labor intensive job. I assume that you didn't replace the camshaft drive pulley & the tensioner pulley.

Now my question is that how did you manage to put on long hours during the hot & humid summer? I guess the weather in Colorado must be nicer than here in the hot & muggy south. Then, again you are a young man and can endure the summer weather.

crazcaddyguy
08-25-13, 06:31 PM
Jazoo, thanks it's very satisfying to have done all that work by my self my dad helped some but mostly me. The weather here in denver is really crazy to say the least, they say if you don't like the weather here wait 5 min. Seriously..... with that said it was hot when I started @ 12pm high 80s and when I stopped cause sun went down was about mid 60s @ 8pm and two rain storms in between! Had to stop working cause of the rain about 2 and half hours....Yea that's Denver weather for you.... its fun and a really good thing to get to know our cars this way!