: '98 cam to waterpump belt

M&N
03-22-05, 07:36 PM
From an earlier post that I posted...I didn't get around to replacing the belt after I dropped the cover bolt under the intake manifold...took awhile to fish out. Anyway, I didn't quite see how the belt came off. I see how to release the tension, does the belt just come off after its removed from the pullies or does the tensioner have to be removed?

BeelzeBob
03-22-05, 08:45 PM
Release the tension on the tensioner and fish the belt out. You have to twist it sideways so that it comes out on edge between the water pump pulley and the block but it will come out.

M&N
03-23-05, 07:54 PM
Thanks...I truly appreciate it.

M&N
03-27-05, 05:45 PM
Not to be thick headed but I still don't quite see how the belt comes out. I had it loose today and fiddled with it for awhile but could not get it out. Do I need to turn it sideways and under the tensioner? Most certainly don't want to cut it off and then not be able to get the new one back on...what am I missing??:confused:

Sure wish I had read your earlier post on the drive belt about making a tool to assist with the routing...I have the skinned hands for not checking first...figured the drive belt would be no problem...LOL. Thanks for any advise on the above question that you might have.

peteski
03-27-05, 11:18 PM
I had a similar problem on my 93 N*. It wouldn't go pass the tight spot.
I ended up taking the tensioner off (2 bolts?) in order to install the belt.
Worked like a charm!

Or, I might have just losen the tensioner mounting bolts and moved it slightly to allow the belt to pass (don't remember now).

Peteski

M&N
03-28-05, 06:47 PM
I tell you that sure does look simple...removing the tenshioner and only two bolts but I am going to try again and see if I can get it off...always loved a good puzzel...:banghead:

haymaker
03-28-05, 07:28 PM
I had a similar problem on my 93 N*. It wouldn't go pass the tight spot.
I ended up taking the tensioner off (2 bolts?) in order to install the belt.
Worked like a charm!

Or, I might have just losen the tensioner mounting bolts and moved it slightly to allow the belt to pass (don't remember now).

Peteski
Mine was the same Peteski, just not enough room to slide the belt out. I removed mine when the engine was out of the car and I could get right to it. The belt just wouldn’t clear the tensioner. Maybe some of the years are different and offer a little more room at the tensioner, mine is a ’97 SLS.