: '93 deVille Audio

TeagueJT81
03-22-05, 05:16 PM
Just got my new headunit and 6x9's installed!

Head is a Pioneer 200W total system that's MP3 and WMA capable, satellite radio and Ipod ready, and has all the normal Pioneer fare (equalization, detachable face, etc, etc).

6x9's are Pioneer 420W max (80W RMS) 4-ways with an aramid fiber (essentially plastic) cone.

It sounds nice - even without a separate amp for the rear speakers it's already turned some heads and gotten compliments.

At some point I want to go all Infinity, at least for my amps and subs. I wanted to put their 6x9's in, but even on their website the best I could find were 3-way, 300W max, and 100W RMS.

Should I just use Infinity for my amps and subs, or would it be a worthwhile investment to get their 6x9's as well, even though on paper they don't sound like they're as good as mine? I love their home theater stuff, and it really wouldn't surprise me if their "weaker" 6x9's were in fact better than mine, I just wanted other oppinions on it. Also, should I go with Infinity for the door and dashboard speakers, or are there other recommendations? This wouldn't be something I'd do for a while anyway.

Thanks.

- Joe

D148L0
03-22-05, 05:26 PM
You are right in your suspicion. Peak power is a fooling value, the way to go is with RMS values. As you can see, the infinity 6x9 can handle more power than the pioneers. And I could bet they sound better, too.

TeagueJT81
03-22-05, 07:04 PM
You are right in your suspicion. Peak power is a fooling value, the way to go is with RMS values. As you can see, the infinity 6x9 can handle more power than the pioneers. And I could bet they sound better, too.

Yeah, the Pioneers were sort of an impulse buy (although I have nothing against them or the brand). Infinities do sound great - I've heard a home theater setup using Infinity speakers with an Onkyo receiver that (to me) sounded just as good as a high-end Denon receiver with Paradigm speakers.

I was also wondering about the head unit? Assuming in the end it's just going to be powering amps, is there a problem with Pioneer? It has 2 2.2V RCA outputs.

- Joe