: 2000 Catera started making rattling noise and then died. Cannot restart!

capttammy2006
08-17-13, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know what this could be? I was driving down the road today 60mph. All of the sudden I hear a rattling noise and the car dies. It does turn over, but it will not restart. There is nothing leaking, just don't know where to begin to diagnose it! Anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!!

elvin315
08-17-13, 07:23 PM
I see this is your first post and that you just joined. I wish you had found us sooner so we could have warned you of the Catera's weak points. Worse case scenario............ snapped timing belt. The rattle you heard might have been the pistons crashing into the valves. Hope I'm wrong.

investor74
08-17-13, 07:31 PM
Does anyone know what this could be? I was driving down the road today 60mph. All of the sudden I hear a rattling noise and the car dies. It does turn over, but it will not restart. There is nothing leaking, just don't know where to begin to diagnose it! Anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!!

Are you getting any codes?

kaustein
08-17-13, 09:37 PM
LOL, weak points! Other than the sound system, the car is just bad, real bad.

capttammy2006
08-18-13, 12:03 PM
I had to have it towed to the shop yesterday. They will scan it tomorrow. It turns over but that is it. God, I really hope the moto is not blown! I hope Elvin's response is not the case, however, that isthe second time I have heard that! UGH!!! Will see what the scanner says tomorrow. Thank GOD I have my 1968 Volkswgen Bug to drive! LOL!

elvin315
08-18-13, 03:51 PM
'68 Bug? I owned a '68 Karmann Ghja convertible that I wish I still had. Best car ever. I had a '71 Type 3 Squareback too.

kaustein
08-18-13, 05:52 PM
Does it turn over?

MoistCabbage
08-18-13, 08:57 PM
Yes. Post #1.

Where was the rattling coming from? Did it lose power? Any odd noises when you crank it?

How many miles and how old is the timing belt and tensioner?

capttammy2006
08-19-13, 09:48 AM
It has 123,000 on it. I have had the car going on 5 years now. The rattling was coming from the engine area, that's all I can tell you. It does crank over, no odd noises, just won't restart. As for the tensioner and timing belt...I have no idea. I have never changed either!

----------

Yes a 68 Bug! I love that car.

kaustein
08-19-13, 10:22 AM
I'd go with the CPS as the problem

capttammy2006
08-19-13, 11:03 AM
I don't think it's the CPS. That went out on it last year and it never made the noise that it made this time. When the CPS went out, it just died! Different scenario this time. Something more internal. The rattling noise was almost like a loud lifter rattling? Sorry, my best shot at describing the noise it made just before dying!

capttammy2006
08-19-13, 01:00 PM
Yes, I have a 68 Bug. I love that car! Thank God because at least I have something to drive in the interim. Haggerty's would not like the fact that I was driving everyday, but what you gonna do? I work at a body shop and our mechanic is going to put it on the computer and check for codes this afternoon. Hopefully it isn't too bad! I do not have extra money right now as I am getting ready to close on my new house! We will see, I will keep you posted on what we come up with. Thanks to all!

capttammy2006
08-20-13, 09:19 AM
Thanks to all for your responses. It was the timing belt and unfortunately, from what I have been reading, this means my engine is junk! It is really disheartening because I loved my car. Don't know if it is worth fixing or not? Any suggestions? I did find another motor, but still not sure.

kaustein
08-20-13, 10:27 AM
Cut your losses and get rid of it. Don't spend good money after bad stuff. Part it out.

elvin315
08-20-13, 12:59 PM
Swapping motors isn't cheap and with the Catera there's always some new crisis waiting. I myself had to have my Sport's transmission replaced recently. I'm no longer a rabid Catera cheerleader though I still love her. I've upgraded the suspension fore and aft with Koni dampers and polyurethane bushings, 4 new Cooper Zeon ZPT tires, '04 GTO front brake calipers with slotted discs all around, and Sport Edition F6 wheels. I added a K&N intake too. She handles and stops magnificently and roars like a lion when I step on the gas but there's always a dark cloud hanging overhead.

So far I've replaced the Heater Bypass Valve twice, the radiator, the EBTCM, the timing belt and tensioner, the serpentine belt, MAF sensor, fuel filter, driver's window control panel, and am in the process of looking for the rear suspension tie rods so I can adjust the toe-in back there, the originals are rusted solid and therefore not adjustable. And that's not all. I still have an Airbag alarm light lit on the dash along with a CEL indicating P0171 & P0174 codes and leaks at the engine oil pan and differential that are waiting resolution. With the Catera there's always something.

If that doesn't scare you then go ahead and swap engines but if you don't have a sentimental attachment to your Catera like I do then I'd suggest looking for a different vehicle. Maybe another VW.

capttammy2006
08-27-13, 11:17 AM
Think I will cut my losses and move on. So, I will be posting it for sale the way it is. Any idea what to ask for the car? It has alot of new parts on it and 4 new tires with less than 5000 miles on them. New radiator, heater control valve, alternator, Crank Shaft Postioning sensor, K134 relay, new coil pack and plugs, new brakes, front end alignment. That's all I can think of right now. It really makes me mad cause it is a nice car!

kaustein
08-27-13, 09:12 PM
So was mine. Lucky if you can get anything for it. Really!

atikovi
09-05-13, 04:59 PM
It's a pretty heavy car so a crusher will pay $400 to $500 the last time I checked. You might try to part it out first. How's the tranny and where you located? Asking because I have a very clean '98 with trans problems I'd sell.