: I'm thinking about buying a Coupe Deville or Eldorado convertable

steves LS6
08-17-13, 12:23 PM
I am doing some research and I would like to know the major differences between the model years specs ect. Is there a thread or web site I can go to where there will be specs like gearing rare options ect. I know the 77-79's have the 425 and the 80's have the 368 and the 81-82's have the 368 with 4-6-8 (can that be disabled?) and the 83-85's have the 4.1 (how slow is one of these?). I know these are not intended to be race cars (I have an 04 CTS-V and my DD is an 08 SRT-8 Charger so I have the speed part covered) what I want is a nice cruiser with a smooth motor and some torque but I would like to get the newest one I can. I would even consider an Eldorado touring coupe. Any opinions or info are greatly appreciated.

jayoldschool
08-17-13, 02:41 PM
You're almost correct. HT4100 started in 82 on both both platforms. 8-6-4 368 was one year only, 1981.

Both cars are very slow with 4100, and torque is not a word you would use in a sentence describing the engine, or the performance of a car with that engine. Speaking from experience, my family has owned an 84 FWB HT4100 car for 25 years. It's only on its second engine.

Gearing got lower (higher numerically) on the 4100 cars for two reasons: the intro of the TH200-4R OD trans, and to have some semblance of acceleration. 3.42s, btw. The big block engines from 77-81 had the bulletproof TH400, with high gears to help with gas mileage.

Personal advice? Pick a style you like, Eldo (FWD) or Coupe (RWD). You know you could get a Fleetwood, coupe, too, right? Much rarer car than the Deville. Once you decide on the type of car, pick out the best one you can afford with the colors and options you want. Don't rush, there are lots out there. Also, don't be afraid to travel to get the right car. Buy one with a good service history, and do not buy one needing rust repair. The 77-79 cars normally have the bulletproof carbed 425 (FI optional/rare), shrinking to 368 in 80, and the 8-6-4 was 81 (fuel injected). All are fine engines, and will be easy to maintain with the proper knowledge and resources. I wouldn't recommend a 4100.

cadillac kevin
08-17-13, 03:04 PM
I would stay away from the 4100.....unless you plan on swapping it out for a better motor.

YoshiMan
08-17-13, 05:12 PM
You might consider the 90-92s RWD Fleetwood broughams with the 5.7 as well. thats as new as you can get on the classic body.

Try this website out: it has all the brochures and you can see what has what:

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/cadillac.html

jayoldschool
08-17-13, 06:50 PM
One more thing I thought of. Last year for the factory Eldo convertible was 1976. Coachbuilt only after that. There were also Coupe DeVille convertibles built by coach builders between 77 and 82 (Hess & Eisenhart and Paris are a couple), bring your cheque book!

brougham
08-17-13, 09:56 PM
That's a wide range of cars you are thinking about. Before asking for advice figure out exactly what you want, then test drive some and see which engine you like the best. Everyones tastes are different.

If you want the newest old style Cadillac you can get just go for a 91-92 Brougham.

77CDV
08-17-13, 10:33 PM
www.motorera.com

If it's a classic cruiser you're after, I'd go with the 77-79 CDV. Bullet-proof drivetrain, contemporary styling, and classic comfort. You really can't go wrong! :)

steves LS6
08-22-13, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback. How rare are the RWD convertibles? I really want a convertible thats why I am considering the Eldo. Im guessing the RWD convertibles are like finding a needle in a haystack and command a premium. How much do they go for. I know a coupe can go for less than $5000 in decent shape and an Eldo convertible for about 50% more. I know that i'm looking at two different cars and I have to drive both to really decide what I want but there is something about each car that I like.

I know I want one with a Cadillac motor in it thats why Im not intersted in the later ones.

bigm57ict
08-22-13, 01:45 PM
If you want a RWD Eldorado, you'll have to get something prior to 1967.

jayoldschool
08-22-13, 01:57 PM
The RWD coach built convertibles from 77-82 go for 15-20k in good condition when they come up on sites like ebay. If you find one locally advertised, you might get one for a lot less. Google "Cadillac LeCabriolet" to get your research started. There are a couple of owners on here from time to time.

Here's one that sold last year:

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=FL12&ID=r499

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/images/lots/FL12/FL12_r499_08.jpg

steves LS6
08-24-13, 11:56 AM
The RWD coach built convertibles from 77-82 go for 15-20k in good condition when they come up on sites like ebay. If you find one locally advertised, you might get one for a lot less. Google "Cadillac LeCabriolet" to get your research started. There are a couple of owners on here from time to time.

Here's one that sold last year:

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=FL12&ID=r499

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/images/lots/FL12/FL12_r499_08.jpg

I love everything about that car. I guess Im going to keep an eye out for one of those.

The Ape Man
08-30-13, 03:17 PM
Pay close attention to any retrofit ragtop that originally had window frames. The doors need extensive modification to pull this off properly.

Maybe consider a '70 or older ragtop if you are going to spend big bux anyway.

cadillac kevin
08-30-13, 03:50 PM
I'm guessing that the convertibles have either larger windows or somehow retractable window frames?

jayoldschool
08-30-13, 07:14 PM
Stock door windows, frameless (like all GM convertibles). Rollup rear windows were added, they seal to the front door glass with a gasket (like all GM convertibles). Window edges seal to weatherstrip on the top frame.

csbuckn
08-30-13, 11:03 PM
How do I make a hardtop door into a frameless door? I've loved the frameless doors since I saw them.

The Ape Man
08-31-13, 02:03 PM
How do I make a hardtop door into a frameless door? I've loved the frameless doors since I saw them.

Look inside a 1975 or older car RWD Cadillac. There's 20 lbs of heavy duty stuff built into the window regulator.