: I just got my windows tinted/PW fixed

carguy16
03-22-05, 11:37 AM
I was looking online for a good shop, found one with 19 years of experience, i thought good enough. Go down there, get my windows tinted, tell them I want a 30 front 15 back tint, they give me titanium tint with a life time warranty. When they tinted it, they didnt clean the windows, i thought they would.

I cleaned the exterior windows, and from the inside in looks bad, they are smudges where they used their tools to squeege the water out all around the tint, streaks in the glass, it looks bad. I hope it will dry out. There are a few bubbles in certain places, and in one spot on the drivers side door, the tint has a ripple in the bottom in two places right next to each other, so i hope in a couple weeks when I roll down my window it wont get ripped off.

I stated my concern about the bubbles, and they told me it would dry out. I got the bare legal tint on my car, 30 front 15 rear, although on the inside you cant tell a difference between the 30 / 15, you can see out great, but from the outside, you can see the front ok, but you have to take a good look to see in the back. Now I think I should have gotten 15/15 all the way around, im thinking about getting my head liner tinted, you know around the rear view mirror in the front...

I forgot to mention to them my right rear window was broken, they rolled it down and it fell off track. Then they couldnt get it to stay up, I tried rolling it down and putting it up, but it got jammed. Luckily a guy that repairs power windows was right behind the shop, actually the same shop, so for $75.00 he fixed it, and it work's great, im happy. The window kept falling down, or wouldnt go up all the way by hand, so I guess it had to be done sooner or later. He didnt use the white clips to put the door back on, I think he took screws and put them through the carpet...

Anyone have any suggestions, comments...I paid $160.00 including tax for this tint job, alot of money. Did they do it right? They did the tint in a little shed.

Mojochiken
03-22-05, 01:34 PM
The ripple will get worse, that needs to be fixed. I have gotten tints on all of my cars, and yes, there are tiny bubbles that go away. But sometimes they don't, if so you need to take it back and have them do it again. It's hard to find a good place to have your tints done. When I get the tints done on my caddy, before they even start I will tell them that "I'll be back" if there's anything wrong with them. Good Luck

ocjmakaveli
03-22-05, 03:19 PM
after 6 tint jobs with 3 different ppl I have concluded that their are always little bubbles sometimes more than other times.

The ripple if it looks like a V-shape then that has to be fixed and it wasn't done properly.

there shouldn't be any area which is peeling or has a lot of air in it the biggest air bubble should be the size of a pen tip.

If it looks bad on the drivers side then I would recommend taking it back and telling them it will peel off.

can you post some pics?

30 for the front is nice although you can try 20 I must warn you if your state laws are 30 then you will be pulled over for 20.

I had 35% for 2 years in illinois where ANY front tint is illegal and since I changed it to 20 I've been pulled over 5 times
last year

with only 2 tickets. 1 $20 and the other ticket was forgiven in court :rolleyes:

AElayyat
03-22-05, 04:44 PM
after 6 tint jobs with 3 different ppl I have concluded that their are always little bubbles sometimes more than other times.

The ripple if it looks like a V-shape then that has to be fixed and it wasn't done properly.

there shouldn't be any area which is peeling or has a lot of air in it the biggest air bubble should be the size of a pen tip.

If it looks bad on the drivers side then I would recommend taking it back and telling them it will peel off.

can you post some pics?

I have had the same experience as ocjmakaveli with window tint and came up with the same conclusions. I think you should do great with the metalized tint because my friend had it done to his Lexus and that tint is awsome. Post some pictures of the ride with the new tint.

carguy16
03-22-05, 05:17 PM
ok, i only have time to post one shot, but here is a small portion of the lower window where it has a ripple, I tried taking pics of the big bubble, and the smudges under the tint, but it didnt work out too good.

They obviously did not clean the windows, I thought this would be common sense, why didnt I ask , or better yet should have cleaned them before I went there?!

AElayyat
03-22-05, 06:19 PM
ok, i only have time to post one shot, but here is a small portion of the lower window where it has a ripple, I tried taking pics of the big bubble, and the smudges under the tint, but it didnt work out too good.

They obviously did not clean the windows, I thought this would be common sense, why didnt I ask , or better yet should have cleaned them before I went there?!

carguy16, go back to the shop and have them re-tint that window, because to me that is unacceptable.

carguy16
03-22-05, 07:51 PM
The tine looks great on the outside, but would look even better if the front windows were also 15 percent.

As far as the smudges go, imagine some one taking their hand and putting in on the window, then taking their hand and smearing it everywhere, theres just a big smudge on the window, now imagine putting a tint over it, thats what it looks like from the inside, on the outside you cant tell.

As far as im concerned, the whole job is a big **** up.

I would think that any smart person would CLEAN THE WINDOWS before you apply tint to them, thats what I would have thought, and I didnt want to question them, since i figured they were probably pro's...

I can live with the smudges, but its still not the point, they shouldnt be on there in the first place, and a few bubbles have disappeared, but there is still one large bubble the size of one of the smiley faces :), depending on your resolution. When they were tinting the windows, I even asked them if that was smudges/dirt on the inside, they told me it was on the outside. Today, I cleaned all the exterior windows, it helped out a little, but it is just smudges on the INSIDE under the tint, is there any possibility they will go away by themselves when they dry out...

carguy16, go back to the shop and have them re-tint that window, because to me that is unacceptable.

caddycruiser
03-22-05, 08:36 PM
Yeah, we've never gotten any windows tinted, but you would think it would be common sense for them to make sure they were squeaky clean before putting anything on them. I mean, who the hell would put tint over dirt or handprints? :cookoo:

turbojimmy
03-22-05, 08:40 PM

I agree - that's not going anywhere. Tiny bubbles will dry out. That's not going to go away.

I had the back window on my Typhoon tinted 5% and they f'd it all up. They said it would dry out. It didn't. I took it back and they destroyed the rear window defroster while removing the botched tint job. The second job was good, but the defroster never worked again.

After the Typhoon experience I did the GN myself. It came out great. I did 5% in the back and 20% in the front. It's pretty dark, but it looks nice.

Jim

ocjmakaveli
03-22-05, 09:03 PM
the front window pic clearly shows an improper tint job it is already peeling.

Second of all the smear may be caused by the substance they used to apply the tints.

if the smear within the window doesnot go away within 2 days then they must replace it.

Sometimes it looks sort of foggy but that is what they use to apply the tint on.

the foggyness usually disappears within 1 day of being out in the sun or it may take longer in the winter months.

heat up the window if you can and the smear should disappear but if it doesnt take it back immediately and have them redo it.

It look like the driver side window must be redone at least at no charge.

Next time ask someone who has taken their vehicle to a shop after 4 years of working on cars I think personal references are the best and only way to go.

Good luck maybe you can post some pics of the entire car with the tints and if you could post some before and after pics too?

carguy16
03-22-05, 09:34 PM
That smear you talk of, thats what im hoping it is too. Because, the smudges are in the direction of the rubber thing they used to squeege the "substance" they sprayed on the window for the tint. They did have some kind of heat gun they would use. I watched them tint my windows.

This is the first time I have ever had windows tinted, so I'm learning as I go along.

the front window pic clearly shows an improper tint job it is already peeling.

Second of all the smear may be caused by the substance they used to apply the tints.

if the smear within the window doesnot go away within 2 days then they must replace it.

Sometimes it looks sort of foggy but that is what they use to apply the tint on.

the foggyness usually disappears within 1 day of being out in the sun or it may take longer in the winter months.

heat up the window if you can and the smear should disappear but if it doesnt take it back immediately and have them redo it.

It look like the driver side window must be redone at least at no charge.

Next time ask someone who has taken their vehicle to a shop after 4 years of working on cars I think personal references are the best and only way to go.

Good luck maybe you can post some pics of the entire car with the tints and if you could post some before and after pics too?

caddycruiser
03-22-05, 09:37 PM
Well that explanation at least makes a lot more sense.

ocjmakaveli
03-23-05, 01:27 AM
carguy we all learn as we go along trying new things that is why after a few years most car enthusiasts go the DO-IT YOURSELF route because we get tired of dealing with incompetence.

Yet if you look well enough you can always find a real pro whos dedicated to his work.

let us know what happens if the smear doesnt disappear it's most likely because the solution they mix together was either improperly mixed or if it got low and the mix was unbalanced thats why the residue remained on the window although its something that a pro tinter should be able to spot easily.

we all make mistakes..:welcome:

carguy16
03-24-05, 12:00 AM
see next post...

carguy16
03-24-05, 12:01 AM
Ok, I just realized that the smudges are on the outside of the tint, and they will come off and it will look great. I feel like a fool, someone pointed that out to me, they took a finger and the smudge came out, its a good thing I didnt go back to the tint shop and complain, I would have looked dumb.:histeric: :cookoo:

I also got a thing to squeege the bubbles out, from a person who had her van taken to another shop, she got a thing from them, I will see how that works out. A few tiny bubbles have formed in the back rear view window.

But, thanks for all your help. There is still the problem with that front window, where I posted a pic, I will see how that goes.

ocjmakaveli
03-24-05, 08:05 PM
if the bubbles are very small then no squeege will fix your problem because once the tint drys and the tint adhesive sticks to the window you cannot get the bubbles out.

if they are big bubbles which i doubt about the size of a quarter or nickel then they must redo the window.

The cause of bubbles is small dust particles that get on the film in the few seconds when the tint has the plastic removed from the adhesive and when it is placed onto the window I myself tried to do this quickly one time less than 5 seconds of exposure time and I still got little bubbles in my tint.

I have never seen a perfect tint except the ones on factory installs which are NOT external film they actually have a layer in between the window itself.

carguy16
03-25-05, 12:38 PM
Ok, the bubbles that were on the window when the windows were tinted have gone away.

How ever, now some new tiny bubbles have shown up, which are visibile on the exterior of the car. I was told by someone else that got their windows tinted this is normal during the curing process. How ever, my drive side window has that big bubble the size of a :) on it, a small crease in the top(about 3/4 th to 1 inch horizontally), and then the bottom of the window by the mirror as seen in the picture I uploaded...

If I do get it retinted, im going to get a 15 percent on it.

if the bubbles are very small then no squeege will fix your problem because once the tint drys and the tint adhesive sticks to the window you cannot get the bubbles out.

if they are big bubbles which i doubt about the size of a quarter or nickel then they must redo the window.

The cause of bubbles is small dust particles that get on the film in the few seconds when the tint has the plastic removed from the adhesive and when it is placed onto the window I myself tried to do this quickly one time less than 5 seconds of exposure time and I still got little bubbles in my tint.

I have never seen a perfect tint except the ones on factory installs which are NOT external film they actually have a layer in between the window itself.

Monsterpuff
03-25-05, 01:41 PM
The windows must be cleaned before tinting.Its jus gonna get worse and worse.Take it back untill you are satisfied.

N0DIH
03-25-05, 02:08 PM
I did my 91 Bonneville's windows and they turned out pretty decent, enough i had virtually no bubbles and only had to make a couple small slits to accommadate the curvature of the glass in a spot or 2. I did the back 3 windows and never got pulled over.

I am thinking of doing it on my 94 FWB. A friend of mine used to do it professionally. He said the trick is a touch of dawn or other soap in the water to make it smooth and bubble free. Mine I would say has no bubbles I can ever remember. I just butchered it around the 3rd brake light a bit, but not too bad. Considering it was my first time, I didn't think I did too bad.

Get the small squeegie, a spraybottle with a touch of soap, and take your time cutting. Use fresh exacto blades, and keep them sharp. The best job is to take the door panels off and the 3rd brake light out (don't cover it, just trim down to just under it), and take your time!

Yes, they need to be cleaned. don't use Ammonia based cleaners, just vinegar and water, and newspaper to dry, and then a lint free cloth to clean it up final before you start to apply. and for the big sections like back windows, get help!!! Oh, and don't do it like me, don't do it on a windy day!!!!!

Tom

carguy16
03-25-05, 02:15 PM
This shop put the tint on the exterior windows, cut it out using that template, then took it off, opened the door, and pasted it on the inside.

I did my 91 Bonneville's windows and they turned out pretty decent, enough i had virtually no bubbles and only had to make a couple small slits to accommadate the curvature of the glass in a spot or 2. I did the back 3 windows and never got pulled over.

I am thinking of doing it on my 94 FWB. A friend of mine used to do it professionally. He said the trick is a touch of dawn or other soap in the water to make it smooth and bubble free. Mine I would say has no bubbles I can ever remember. I just butchered it around the 3rd brake light a bit, but not too bad. Considering it was my first time, I didn't think I did too bad.

Get the small squeegie, a spraybottle with a touch of soap, and take your time cutting. Use fresh exacto blades, and keep them sharp. The best job is to take the door panels off and the 3rd brake light out (don't cover it, just trim down to just under it), and take your time!

Yes, they need to be cleaned. don't use Ammonia based cleaners, just vinegar and water, and newspaper to dry, and then a lint free cloth to clean it up final before you start to apply. and for the big sections like back windows, get help!!! Oh, and don't do it like me, don't do it on a windy day!!!!!

Tom