: Headlights

A1892Fitch
03-22-05, 02:05 AM
I was wondering if the Headlights from Catera 2001 would fet on the Catera 1997, Because the Catera 2001 has HID lights but they same size but i m not sure if they would work on the 1997 version. If anyone knows please write back Thank you!

stevehogan
03-22-05, 07:19 AM
The part numbers for the non-halogen 2001 assemblies are different from the standard 1997 assemblies. Either they were "improved" for 2000-2001 or they mount differently. The hood, the rubber seals around the headlight and the filler panels below the headlight are also different numbers. I suspect that the sheel metal is different enough that the headlights probably won't fit.

Vesicant
03-22-05, 02:42 PM
I agree

Yes there were design changes comming with the new models for 00-01 that changed the front fascia and some various other items. That would be why

A1892Fitch
03-23-05, 02:01 AM
Thanks for answering my question, I've changed the bulbs i put the blue ones and they also told me they would be stronger then the stock ones. Thats not true they suck big time which bulbs would u guys recommend that would be stronger and look simllar to HID lights. I would love to have the HIDs on my catera cuz i think it looks pretty nice but they cost alot of money.

AllenPacla
03-23-05, 02:13 AM
Why don't you try Silverstars by Sylvania, or if you have the money to spend, go for PIAA lights. The only thing i noticed with white lights is that they are almost useless during bad weather conditions like when it's raining or the road is wet. You almost don't see any light coming from your car. That is why i am strongly considering the Xenarc Auxilliary HID lowbeam lights by Sylvania because they are true HID and I am hoping that they would give me the illumination that i need even during bad weather. I am currently using PIAA extreme White lights and the output was said to be eqivalent to 100 watts bulbs, and they are good, looks like HID, but just like i said, come bad weather , they are not of any good use. That is why, when it comes to this kind of condition, the regular Halogen will still beat a White Halogen light. I just don't know, when it comes to true HID, if the same would still be true.

stevehogan
03-23-05, 05:22 PM
You might take a look at these guys. They are sponsors on this site.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=127

A1892Fitch
03-24-05, 08:33 PM
Since my front Headlight glass is not clear. Do you think it really doesnt metter its still gonna show some progress with the Silverstars by Sylvania H7. When i went to the store to buy them the Associate told that it wouldnt be good to put 100Watts, My wires might burn out because its to strong. Do you guys think thats acaully true?
My friend has PIA's on his VW, I really dont like it for some reason.

oserus98
03-24-05, 09:05 PM
I just had a headlight burn out and I bought the Sylvania H7 ST Silverstar bulbs but they do not appear to be the same bulbs at all. On the back of the bulb there is only 1 prong, not 2 and it has a Philips part number 12258 that I cannot crossreference anywhere. Can someone quickly help me out so I can get the correct bulb for my 2001 Catera? Thank you so much.

stevehogan
03-24-05, 09:10 PM
Don't bump the wattage up. The fuses (and the harness) are designed for 55 watt bulbs. If your lens is fogged, polish it using one of the chemical poishes or use the sandpaper method recommended by Allenb in one of his earlier posts. I bumped my lamps to Eurolite Xenon Super Plasma's and the light is nice and super white and MUCH better than the standard bulbs. Plus, no worries about burning up the wiring.

I know that there are a thousand opinions on what headlights are the best. All I can tell you is that the Catera headlight electrical circuits are not designed to handle bulbs larger that 55 watts each.

AllenPacla
03-24-05, 11:19 PM
And remember, the replacement white lights may look nice and may seem to be giving better out put than the halogen lights but, wait till it rains and you would think that your headlights are off. That is why i thought of getting an HID auxillary low beam foglight which i am hoping to solve my problem during bad weather conditions.

stevehogan
03-25-05, 04:43 AM
FWIW, (and I don't want to start an off-topic debate :D ) Allen and I disagree on the rain/snow visibility issue. My position is that the whiter light give fine (as good or better visibility) on rainy or foggy nights. IMHO, the yellower light is more apparent to you because the contrast of the color is greater. I've had bright white lights in my wife's Lexus and on my Corvette for 3 years and that has been my experience. And, I can find you a dozen web sites that support my sense on this and a dozen others that agree with Allen :hmm: What virtually all of the sites do agree on is that the intensely blue lights you see some people using are worse in rain and fog because the water particles absorb the shorter wavelength (blue) light. That's why I went with bright WHITE lights

I do agree that a properly-designed HID lamp is better, primarily because the light is better aimed and doesn't diffuse back in your eyes from the rain and/or fog in the air. It does still have the same less-contrast effect I describe above, however. And I think the "properly-designed" is the key here. I had factory HIDs on my 300C and they were delightful. Others who have used retrofit kits have described less satisfying results. Clearly, your mileage may vary. ;)

AllenPacla
03-25-05, 01:42 PM
Arguments are good, because it gives a different perspective to another guys query. Anyway, it's not long ago when i replaced my 97 Catera headlight bulb with those by PIAA(extreme White lights, if i remember right), and I was really impressed with the whiteness and brightness. It's a lot brighter when you are driving over concrete road than on asphalt. And during snow, it's okay as well because the snow being white makes the reflection really white. I used to drive 67 miles going to work everyday and some of those days it would rain or during early morning there would be heavy fog and that is when it gets scary because you don't even see your headlight beam in front of you. I respect Steve's conclusion about the design of the headlight causing poor performance when used with white lights. Which i guess makes my observation valid because the original query came from a guy who owns a 97 Catera like i do. But anyway, given a choice, I would still go and replace my headlight with extreme white lights because it doesn't rain that much here in NY. If you live in a place where it does, then you better take this into consideration. That is why many are saying that a true HID is always better because the light is more intense and there is more light out put in general, which defeats the problem of white lights during rainy conditions. I haven't used an HID yet, that is why I can't attest to this. Next week, after i installed the auxillary HID low beams that i purchased, i hope it rains so I will know for a fact what it did as per improvement or none of.