: HeadGasket

pimpjuice01
03-21-05, 05:16 PM
I've read so much about headgasket problems with northstar engines, what is the best way to prevent it and what is it going to cost when it does go. I have a 93sts I changed the coolant system right when I got it, it was green coolant and I went to dexcool. I've also heard about barleak, how does that work effectively? I'm at about 178,000KM car still runs good but worrying about headgasket.

Ranger
03-21-05, 05:54 PM
I think head gasket replacement is about $3000 - $4000. Best way to prevent it is regular cooling system service. The Barsleaks tabs or powder is only to prevent niusence leaks and has nothing to do with head gaskets.

danbuc
03-21-05, 08:57 PM
There's no reason yo use dexcool, if it came with the green coolant. As long as you replace the coolant supplements, and change it when needed, you should be fine. If for some reason, you should ever loose coolant, due to a leak or failed part, make sure to shut the car off if you can. This will prevent any overheating that might occur.

Overheating though, usally isn't the main cause of head gasket failure. The main reason they fail, is usually lack of maintenace to the cooling system. When it isn't changed at the proper time, and run longer than it is supposed to be, the corrosion inhibitors stat to dissipate. This will allow the coolant to start eating away at the gasket, and will eventually cause it's failure.

As long as you maintain it, you should be fine.

STS 310
03-21-05, 09:01 PM
The change to the DEX is fine, but you will not get the 5 year longevity. You will be best to change it at the 2 year interval as with the "green" coolant.

And certainly what DANBUC said.

BeelzeBob
03-21-05, 11:07 PM
I've read so much about headgasket problems with northstar engines, what is the best way to prevent it and what is it going to cost when it does go. I have a 93sts I changed the coolant system right when I got it, it was green coolant and I went to dexcool. I've also heard about barleak, how does that work effectively? I'm at about 178,000KM car still runs good but worrying about headgasket.

That is the trouble with reading internet forums....you develop the mechanical equivalent of hypochondria....LOL LOL

Keep the cooling system serviced and drive it. You might also check the water pump drive belt and the small spring loaded tensioner for the water pump drive belt. The belt needs to be in good shape and exercise and lube the tensioner pivot point to make sure that it is not frozen. Avoiding any overheating due to preventable causes is good insurance. With the age and miles on that 93 the head gaskets (and other engine parts) are going to be more susceptable to damage in the event of an overheat so extra care of the rest of the cooling system (hoses, clamps, radiator, etc...) is justified.

mdallin
03-21-05, 11:20 PM
i just did mine it cost me $2100 and they milled the head and replaced the thermostat it was cheap cause i new someone. when they do it they have to drill the block thats why it costs so much. my 97 deville only has 55k on it i bought the car cheap($4500) because it needed the head gasket so i dont know why it blew so early

pimpjuice01
03-22-05, 01:38 PM
My car usually runs between 96-106*c depending on highway or in heavy traffic. I kinda wonder if 106 is too high

I did change my coolant right when I first bought the car, but never used any gm sealant or barsleak was actually a ford mechanic that I know so I get better deals lol, so I guess I should redo the coolant again...not even sure if distilled water was used

BeelzeBob
03-22-05, 08:54 PM
106 is fine.