: need cam help

04ctsv1
08-15-13, 11:20 PM
I bet this has been posted a lot but I have a very limited knowledge on engine internals. I have a 2004 v and I don't know anything about cams or most the internals like whats best for a build. I want to build it up so its ready for a supercharger but I don't know what type of cam to use I don't want anything to aggressive ill still be using it as a daily driver for a while. I do like to run it on the strip every once and a while but I don't want to have to tare into it again and replace it down the road.

any tips would help. im not scared to get my hands dirty and id rather do the work myself then take it to a shop if I can

rand49er
08-15-13, 11:29 PM
Oh, boy ... here we go!

RyRidesMotoX
08-15-13, 11:45 PM
In before the flamethrowers!!!!

Call up Tick Performance. Martin specs some bitchin cams

BigDaddy-V
08-16-13, 12:08 AM
I have looked into this so many time myself. What I have come up with and this is just me doing a crap ton of research and looking at everything is for a mild cam and a DD everyone has there own choice! I think I will be going with a custom grind comp cam from texas speed when I do mine. I know I will be going small compared to a lot of people here but I want to keep it quite and clean with not to much lope so I have looked at going with a 220/224 with a lift of 580 or so on a 114 Lisa to keep it more calm at idle and better if I do slap a Maggie on it at some point. I have though about going as high as a 226 exhaust duration to keep the math clean with the intake increase. It is a 204/218 with like 550 lift or so on a 116.5 Lsa from the factory. There are just so many choices and combos and lope cuts out there it is near impossible to know unless you know every move you are going to make in your mod process in advance.

You are going to catch a lot of heated noise for this thread but that is my opinion from the research that I have done for my own. Like RyridesmotoX said call a shop you know and trust or someone that it is their job to know everything and tell them what you want, but have a little knowledge before you go in. Research texas speed and go to YouTube and look at and listen to clips of what you think you want and the sounds and dyno numbers they are putting out is also a great option.

Sorry if wordy but looked into this a lot myself so I thought I would help and not burn you too much!

BDV

HAMSTAR
08-16-13, 08:31 AM
A blower cam needs to have generally less intake duration and less overlap than a NA cam. A good blower cam will be something like 226/230 113 LSA, while a similar duration NA cam will be more like 226/234 110 LSA or 228/236 111 LSA (this is what I have). I agree with the recommendation for Martin at Tick, as he is both smart and will give you the time you need to talk it all through.

BigDaddy-V
08-16-13, 08:50 AM
Hamstar,

How aggressive does that cam sound at idle and what is the streetability of it for normal driving? That Lsa seems like the idle would be choppy? I am looking for something a little more stock at idle but dropping the power and down some

BDV

lollygagger8
08-16-13, 10:34 AM
Since our cars are drive-by-wire, it's easier for the tuner to tune out driveability issues than a F-Body with the same size cam. Either way, a cam is gonna lope at idle regardless.

I went with a 227/231 + 114 LSA. It's not choppy, but I probably should've went bigger.I have B&B headers/xpipe/catback, but idle isn't crazy by any means. (Even though I can set off car alarms at will by idling by :lildevil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwYtr5GKBvk

Hit up Patrick G on LS1tech and tell him what you want. He'll spec something out for you.

DMM
08-16-13, 11:12 AM
It really depends what supercharger you are intending to install. The ideal cam for an E-Force TVS 2300 will be very different from a 112 Maggie, as the Maggie runs out of breath and will only tolerate smaller cams. Tell us a little more about what your total build is going to be, discplacement, heads, exhaust, size/type of supercharger, what type of driving you do, and what type of drivability you're hoping for (ie. slight cam chop, smooth idle, hard chop at idle, etc) and we can help you.

Edit: I absolutely agree with RyRidesMotoX and HAMSTAR...hit up Martin Smallwood (Tick performance), he'll take everything into consideration and spec an ideal grind (for free, no BS $25 charge). He makes himself available to speak to customers if any questions arise and the customer service is second ot none. All of the boys down there at TIck have a stellar reputation for a reason. Check out a few threads over on LS1 Tech about Martin's cams...he lets everything hang out...full specs of every grind, un-edited customer reviews, etc. Shops that treat their grinds as some type of Top Secret national security info really piss me off and do nothing but deter me from doing or recommending any business with them.

RyRidesMotoX
08-16-13, 11:39 AM
Check out a few threads over on LS1 Tech about Martin's cams...he lets everything hang out...full specs of every grind, un-edited customer reviews, etc. Shops that treat their grinds as some type of Top Secret national security info really piss me off and do nothing but deter me from doing or recommending any business with them.

Every time Martin cruises ls1tech he has always given good advice about stuff and he has a lot of patience for some of the people on there. In the gen3 motors section there are a few GIANT can threads. Martin and Tony Mamo are 2 of the most knowledgeable people on that forum I think

HAMSTAR
08-16-13, 12:58 PM
Hamstar,

How aggressive does that cam sound at idle and what is the streetability of it for normal driving? That Lsa seems like the idle would be choppy? I am looking for something a little more stock at idle but dropping the power and down some

BDV

Which cam are you asking about?

It really depends what supercharger you are intending to install.

This is true, and really only artful tuner/builders are even aware of this. By the way, DMM is the blower guru around here. I take his posts at double weight.

04ctsv1
08-19-13, 07:49 PM
I was thinking of goin with the e-force from what Ive been reading most people prefer it.. im not worried about choppy I just don't have the knowledge on internals. Ill deff check out tick performance

----------

thanks for the help I was expecting to catch alota greaf about the post

Naf
08-20-13, 04:28 AM
u want a great cam with great idle and tuning, get a LS9 cam with 1.85 rockers.

It will act like stock, and give you great power throughout the power band

Lets not forget its CHEAP!!!

Pho_phizzat
08-20-13, 12:56 PM

What sort of gains would this net on a stock non blown application. and how about on a blown application.

DMM
08-20-13, 01:53 PM

The LS9 will work well for the Maggie b/c the high LSA seals the cylinders, which is important on the Maggie sonce it's just barely big enough for LS2/6. A cam with a few to 0* degree of overlap will make much more power than one with negative overlap. The idea is if you lose boost, pulley down and get it back (although its not really lost).

Remember that duration and valve events are what differentiate a blower cam, not lift. The current popular grinds for larger roots type blowers are in the 222-226* range on the intake and 238-242* on the exhaust with not much more than .605" lift on either. Many have put down 750+ whp with LSA motors and their smaller 1.9 TVS blowers. 1.8 rockers with an LS9 cam would likely cost more than a new grind cam that is ideal for your particular combo, so I would go with a custom grind.

But like I said, it all depends on what you have and what type of drivability you're lookin for.

Naf
08-21-13, 11:44 AM
You can see a gain of 20-40 hp

On a 6.2 ltr they gained 40+ hp with no engine modifications