: oil smoke -- any suggestions?

llaupert
03-21-05, 04:23 PM
1994 SLS 129,000 miles - and runs like a scared rabbit - but now the rabbit is beginning to smoke

My Caddy has always been dealer serviced including oil changes - however lately I found it necessary to change my oil myself. In doing so I used Castroil High Mileage 10-50. Now when I start the engine in the morning I am getting the tell tale blue smoke of oil smoke -- but it is only on startup - which means the oil is leaking down from the heads when the car is idle at night. I am sure it is either the viscosity or brand of oil.

I had the same thing happen to another car when the originial owner broke it in with Texaco Oil and I switched to a paraffin base Quaker State Oil. The car smoked and then I went back to Texaco Oil - and the smoking stopped.

I would love to know who make Delco's oil that they use at the service facility. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?:o

Ranger
03-21-05, 08:11 PM
"Delco's oil"? Never heard of any such thing. I'd check with the dealer to see what they are using or just use something other than what you last used.

devilleconcours100
03-21-05, 09:51 PM
GM Goodwrench oil, and AC Delco Oil, are manufactured for General Motors by ExxonMobil. That means that it is basicly the same as Mobil Drive Clean, or Exxon Superflo. I use that in every GM Product I have, and it works great.
Thanks, Dave

an01sts
03-21-05, 10:42 PM
Exxon! I don't do Exxon, but all the guys at the marina don't do Exxon. Those bastards dump a couple billion gallons of oil in the water, they won't accept responsbility, and no one makes them accept responsiblity. At the marinis, a guy's boat sank in its slip. They had a barrier around the boat and contained all the oil, and the boat hadn't stayed sank for more then a few ours, so the release of oil and desiel wasn't but a minimual amount. (There is probally more gas and deisel dumped in the water, because of small spills during fillup , on busy Saturday. Even so, they charged him--well his insurance company--$15k for enviromental degradation. And Exxon walks away, keeping its boatload of money in its pocket. The most sad thing is that Exxon is #1 in America, even with it 911ing America, yet people still purchase its feul.

EcSTSatic
03-21-05, 11:12 PM
The smoking started after one oil change? I'd suggest that maybe the new brand cleaned up some sludge buildup that may have kept it from smoking before. I don't know if it could clean up that fast though.http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/hmmm.gif

If the dealer oil brand didn't smoke, I'd go back to it. I've always used Havoline in my cars and never had oil smoke.

zonie77
03-22-05, 01:29 AM
10w-50 isn't the recommended weight oil. N*'s don't wear much, I would go back to 10w30 and not use a "high mileage" oil.