: 67 deville a/c controls

fabbrofour
08-15-13, 08:24 PM
My a/c keeps kicking out. I have to go to the ice setting on the auto climate control for the blower to come on and then when I move it to high the a/c will come on for anywhere from 5-15 seconds then it kicks out. I just installed a new compressor and it blows cold air. When I set the temp setting for 85, the heater works fine. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem?

Thanks

carnut
08-15-13, 09:01 PM
Try the classic Cad forum.

fabbrofour
08-16-13, 01:00 AM
CARNUT -Thanks - where do I find the link to that forum? This site seems somewhat confusing to navigate around in.

CADforce69
08-16-13, 08:28 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/classic-cadillac-forum/ ;)

Garys
08-16-13, 10:34 AM
I had the same trouble with my '68. You have a vacuum leak in the system. My leak was in the Power Servo. This is the most common problem for the '67-'68 climate control systems. Check out this site. It was a huge help, and my ac system has worked like new for years now. Good luck, and let me know how it turns out. :welcome:

http://www.stampie.com/tech/Climate1.html

fabbrofour
08-16-13, 03:07 PM
Thanks man! Very helpful. I'll be working on this over the weekend

Garys
08-17-13, 01:03 AM
Glad to help. If it turns out to be the servo, I have some information on how to rebuild it. The heat from the engine has a tendency to warp the metal plates that the vacuum ports slide around on.

fabbrofour
08-17-13, 11:26 PM
Thanks - will do. Tomorrow is replacing the neutral safety switch. Found a used one that has one of the bolt down tabs broken off May try to make one good one from the two. When done I should have back-up lights, auto parking brake release and safety switch working again.

Then onto the a/c. The symptoms described on the last page seem to mirror mine, so I'm hoping thats it. Are new servos available?

Thanks again!

Garys
08-18-13, 11:04 AM
http://www.usapartssupply.com/cadillac.php Page 44 on the downloaded pdf catalog.

A friend of mine repaired his servo. Here is a link to his website. http://www.eldorado-seville.com/files/tag-1968.php

It was the same way that I fixed mine.

fabbrofour
08-18-13, 08:24 PM
Servo repaired! Everything works as designed!! Excellent repair info!! Thanks man. Next time I'm in San Diego I'll buy you a beer!!

Garys
08-18-13, 09:25 PM
Congratulations! It will probably work now without another problem for years.

Garys
08-20-13, 08:12 PM
Thanks - will do. Tomorrow is replacing the neutral safety switch. Found a used one that has one of the bolt down tabs broken off May try to make one good one from the two. When done I should have back-up lights, auto parking brake release and safety switch working again.

BTW did your neutral safety switch repair work out?

fabbrofour
08-21-13, 12:39 PM
Haven't got to it yet. A/C comperssor started squeeling on Monday and the belt snapped. Checked with NAPA and they asked if the dryer and some other part was replaced when the new compressor was installed. I don't believe they were but I'll track that down today. Doesn't appear that the compresor fried but if it is I'll be trying to figure out who is going to pay for it if it's toast. Getting the A/C working correctly has been a real challenge.

I'm in Alaska until Friday, so I don't expect a resolution until next week. Should be able to work on the NSS this weekend.

CADforce69
08-21-13, 06:31 PM
I charged the A/C system of my 69 but did no cleaning of the system nor change drier or expansion valve, so my compressor produced cold air but soon started doing what you are describing. When it started squeeling continuously, I unplugged it avoiding belt snap.

A deep cleaning of the circuit should be performed before a new compressor is installed. Drier, expansion valve and evaporator (A/C radiator) are the key elements that should be specially clean. I got replaced drier and expansion valve and got the evaporator deeply cleaned. Donīt forget checking there is enough oil in the circuit. After all this, my A/C is working cold and silent.

fabbrofour
08-21-13, 06:36 PM
Yup - that's exactly what the NAPA guy told me. I need to understand and verify what the shop did and make sure they did/do it right. Should have it done by the time it starts getting cooler and I don't need it until next spring. A little at a time - it will get there..

fabbrofour
09-03-13, 03:52 PM
Well - Imade one complete nuetral safety switch out of two, installed it and it doesn't work. There doesn't appear to be any power transfer internally. I'll need to remove it and check the internal contacts. I believe I have everything installed correctly internally but it's not working, including the back-up lights which is really all I want anyway. Working on controls on the old Caddys is somewhat of a challenge...