: Rusted Fuel Filter

loontune
10-06-03, 01:33 PM
Thanks to all the help, tuneup complete, nearly. 98 Deville, The fuel filter is totally rusted to the fuel feed pipe. Do I have to replace the pipe or can I buy a kit and splice in? I looked at Advance Auto parts website, and under fuel line repair, they seem to have parts that look like is a replacement for the threads at the end of the pipe.

elwesso
10-06-03, 06:08 PM
If its metal fuel line, I wouldnt want to just be cutting sections and splicing......

Id replace the whole line (or as much as you need, but get a whole section, not "cut and paste")

Katshot
10-06-03, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately, you really SHOULD replace the whole line if it can't be salvaged.

elwesso
10-06-03, 09:45 PM
Is it a 1 piece metal line from the tank to the pressure regulator......?

loontune
10-07-03, 08:02 AM
Well,
I bought the Advanced Auto Parts replacement line. It's metal, it's about a foot and 1/2 long. You cut that much out of your metal line and tie this in. One end is a perfect fit into the filter, the other is a compression fitting that only works on the piece of line it came with. It doesnt hold on the cut end of my feed pipe. Dont ever try this folks, it doesnt work. I spent hours trying to get it to hold, but fuel spits out every time I start the car. Im going to have to try a temp fix till I can get a complete line somewhere now. The good news is it's only $12 wasted. I think when it's all over I still saved money. What would a garage charge me to replace a fuel line, which would have had to have been done it was so rusted.

loontune
10-07-03, 01:59 PM
I take it all back for the moment. I never claimed to be an ace mechanic, matter of fact, I'm a dip. I went back to the auto store to return the item and find a temp fix. They explained to me I was using the compression nut wrong. I wasnt putting the brass fitting OVER the line, I was trying to assemble it by butting it against the end of the line. Installing it correctly seems to work fine, no leaks. It's only day one, but so far so good. My guess is this will work great.

As for Advanced Auto Parts, I highly suggest them. They are very nice there, very helpful. They even take used oil so I can go back to changing my own again. Never heard of auto store taking oil.

elwesso
10-07-03, 05:53 PM
Almost any place that sells oil (besides convenience stores) will take old oil......

Ive had terrible experience with advance...... We just got a new one, and I couldnt get anyone to take my money......!!! This has happened 3-4 times, and the last time no one would come to the counter after waiting for over 5 mins..... No one even acknowledged my presence..... So I left and went to autozone...... They at least will take your money...!

Next time you take the car in for a service have them inspect the fuel line, and ask them how it looks...... Most parts that you get OTC for GM cars are as good as OEM (or close)......

loontune
10-08-03, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all your info ELWESSO. Since joining this group I've spent around $150 for service that Cadi and other garages probably would have cost me $500-$1000. Figure the tuneup cost me $125., now deduct cost of wires $60, cuz you dont do those every tuneup, cost of the Chilton book I bought to help me out, $25, and the $12.50 for the fuel line repair, that's what it cost me, I coudnt be happier.!!!

jonrodman
10-12-03, 05:45 PM
I take it all back for the moment. I never claimed to be an ace mechanic, matter of fact, I'm a dip. I went back to the auto store to return the item and find a temp fix. They explained to me I was using the compression nut wrong. I wasnt putting the brass fitting OVER the line, I was trying to assemble it by butting it against the end of the line. Installing it correctly seems to work fine, no leaks. It's only day one, but so far so good. My guess is this will work great.

As for Advanced Auto Parts, I highly suggest them. They are very nice there, very helpful. They even take used oil so I can go back to changing my own again. Never heard of auto store taking oil.

I am glad it is fixed. I bet it will last for years. I was going to recommend getting a flair tool, and flairing the end you cut off. The compression fitting you used is pretty good, but an even better solution is to flair the end of the old line, and the end of the new line and screw them toghther with a coupler. That could be considered a permanent fix.

Where do you live that the fuel filter connecton became rusted?

Jon
96STS

elwesso
10-12-03, 10:48 PM
Changing say only once at best would do it..... 5 years of rain and year round salt (if he's near the cost).....

loontune
10-13-03, 07:40 AM
I am glad it is fixed. I bet it will last for years. I was going to recommend getting a flair tool, and flairing the end you cut off. The compression fitting you used is pretty good, but an even better solution is to flair the end of the old line, and the end of the new line and screw them toghther with a coupler. That could be considered a permanent fix.

Where do you live that the fuel filter connecton became rusted?

Jon
96STS

South of Boston, about 20 minutes from Providence in Massachusetts.

bradpavao
01-04-06, 01:22 PM
You Must live in or near same town as I do. Have two 89 Caddys both rusty fuel lines, brake lines and leaking fuel. Its kinda challenging dodging ejected cigarrette butts across three lanes of traffic on 195. Checks out the rack, tie rods and suspension.