: Service Stability blinker...New Shocks...$$$?

dsciola
08-15-13, 03:50 PM
So a while back I had some steering wheel-related issues...specifically, my 2005 Escalade regular would tug n pull a bit, left or right, when going 60+ mph. I had it checked out by the ppl at Firestone and also at Les Schwab tire Center. Both told me same thing, which was could be 1 of 2 issues, or even both...

1 - bent/broken rim. Cost about $300
2 - fix shock absorbers. Cost about $2500

So I crossed my fingers and just got #1 done, fixing the rim. Car has ran great since then, rims look nice as well...always a plus...and so far have had no issues...until yesterday when a yellow light with an 'S/T' on it started flashing on my dash, accompanied by a 'service stability' message on the digital read-out. My concern here is this is connected/due to my shock absorbers. Fixing the shocks apparently costs 2500 since they are electric. I'de rather not pay that much for car maintenance unless I absolutely have to. When I got the quote from Les Schwab and Firestone, both shops said best to defer fixing shocks for now, see if problem goes away, and stays away, after just fixing rim.

Any thoughts from the Cadillac community? Does it look like I have to bite the bullet and get my shocks fixed? If so, is there anyway I get a cheaper fix here?Do I absolutely have to get electric shock absorbers for a 2005 Cadillac Escalade regular? Anyway I can get 'cheaper' shock absorbers without screwing up my car?

Please ask any questions if needed. Thanks so much!

Dom

the cadillac man
08-15-13, 08:39 PM
So a while back I had some steering wheel-related issues...specifically, my 2005 Escalade regular would tug n pull a bit, left or right, when going 60+ mph. I had it checked out by the ppl at Firestone and also at Les Schwab tire Center. Both told me same thing, which was could be 1 of 2 issues, or even both...

1 - bent/broken rim. Cost about $300
2 - fix shock absorbers. Cost about $2500

So I crossed my fingers and just got #1 done, fixing the rim. Car has ran great since then, rims look nice as well...always a plus...and so far have had no issues...until yesterday when a yellow light with an 'S/T' on it started flashing on my dash, accompanied by a 'service stability' message on the digital read-out. My concern here is this is connected/due to my shock absorbers. Fixing the shocks apparently costs 2500 since they are electric. I'de rather not pay that much for car maintenance unless I absolutely have to. When I got the quote from Les Schwab and Firestone, both shops said best to defer fixing shocks for now, see if problem goes away, and stays away, after just fixing rim.

Any thoughts from the Cadillac community? Does it look like I have to bite the bullet and get my shocks fixed? If so, is there anyway I get a cheaper fix here?Do I absolutely have to get electric shock absorbers for a 2005 Cadillac Escalade regular? Anyway I can get 'cheaper' shock absorbers without screwing up my car?

Please ask any questions if needed. Thanks so much!

Dom

Before replacing parts get the codes pulled at a gm dealer as they will tell what is most likely wrong with the system

Mine would throw a random unknown code and they updated the software for the ebcm and the error has yet to reappear (knock on wood)

dsciola
08-16-13, 01:26 PM
OK will do. Kind of confused with what you mean by 'get the codes'. Is that the codes the dash uses to tell me to service my stability? something else?

the cadillac man
08-16-13, 03:58 PM
OK will do. Kind of confused with what you mean by 'get the codes'. Is that the codes the dash uses to tell me to service my stability? something else?

Yes those codes

dsciola
08-16-13, 08:24 PM
OK. My car nube mind isn't fully getting it, but my guess is when I swing the GM dealer, they'll be able to figure it out, and hopefully not con me haha.

Thanks again!

Dom

the cadillac man
08-16-13, 10:13 PM
OK. My car nube mind isn't fully getting it, but my guess is when I swing the GM dealer, they'll be able to figure it out, and hopefully not con me haha.

Thanks again!

Dom

Go to any gm dealer and tell them you need the truck checked for trouble codes
Once you get those codes report back to me