: Engine/RPM's quit

notorious_299
03-21-05, 10:35 AM
Car: 1997 Cadillac Catera
When I start the car, it goes fine for about a second and then the RPM's drop to zero and the engine cuts off. If I keep my foot on the gas while starting the car, it runs smooth until I take my foot off. I have ran the codes and two were returned. Those were P0507 and P0100. There were no prior signs that I noticed. It was running fine one morning when I went into work, and then I came back out 3 hours later and it just would not stay running.
Does anyone have any idea on what the problem is or what I can do to fix it??
:banghead:

stevehogan
03-21-05, 11:14 AM
P0100 indicates a problem with the Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit. I'm going to guess and say that, since the car was recently acquired, you did some minor work under the hood - such as replace the air filter - and possibly disturbed the MAF sensor connector or induced a leak into the ductwork between the MAF sensor and the throttle body. At any rate, look for loose connections and/or air leaks on the input side.

P0507 is "Idle System High - IAC Responding." Again, check for leaks, in this case vacuum leaks (a hose knocked loose during some service work) and check for loose electrical connectors also.

These procedures are fully described in the factory service manuals which are "must have reading" for any new Catera owner. You can get a set on eBay. Until you buy your own set of manuals, I can email you copies of these two procedures if you wish.

And :welcome: to the world of Catera Ownership.

notorious_299
03-21-05, 08:27 PM
I am worthless when it comes to working on cars. I was never around anyone that did work to them, so I didnt learn anything. I did change the air filter though because I had seen Valvoline do that and its easy enough. After the problem occurred, i disconnected all of the sensors i could find and then plugged them back in. i still had the problem. I was looking at other posts and found something about possibly checking one of the fuses on the box above the battery. I have not done that yet. Is there anywhere that I can go to find pictures of the things you are talking about and I hear others talking about? I have downloaded the owners manual off the net, but its not much help at all. it doesnt go into enough detail.

stevehogan
03-21-05, 10:09 PM
You really do need the service manuals, even if you are "worthless" ;) which I doubt. They show all of this stuff in detail. The fact that you can read the codes means that you are more advanced than most who attempt car repairs. However, a picture is worth a thousand words, and that's where the manuals come in. You can get a set on eBay for $70 or less - I've seen them go for $10 a set.

In the meantime, take a GOOD look at all of the air inlet stuff on the car - from the air cleaner towards the engine and look for anything loose. Something got bounced loose on you that's causing the problem.

Send me an email with the P codes - stevehogan@stevehogan.com - and I'll email you PDFs of the procedures and whatever pictures I can that might help with the immediate problem.

vegaspro
03-28-05, 10:15 PM
You responded to my other post with a request for a suggestion. It sure sounds to me like steve hit it right on the head. I had the oil changed in my CTS, which has a similar set-up, and the tech "broke" the car when he changed the air filter. In about thirty seconds of looking at it, a ring clamp had not been retightened, and the intake was sucking air and bypassing the filter and sensors. The result was exactly as you described. You have a leak in your air system, and it is probably just an untightened connection after you replaced the filter.