: Chevrolet bolsters SS lineup -- including SUV

HotRodSaint
03-21-05, 10:12 AM
Chevrolet will unveil SS versions of the 2006 TrailBlazer, Malibu and Malibu Maxx at this week's New York auto show. (http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=52238)

The TrailBlazer will be the first General Motors SUV to wear the SS badge and will offer the Corvette-derived LS2 6.0-liter V-8, giving it 391 hp and a 0 to 60 mph time of 5.7 seconds.

The TrailBlazer also gets a performance suspension, 20-inch wheels and specific interior appointments.

The Malibu SS and Malibu Maxx SS will offer a 240-hp, 3.9-liter V-6 with variable valve timing, 18-inch wheels and a sport-tuned suspension. The V-6 is an upgrade of 40 hp over the 3.5-liter V-6 offered on the up-level Malibu and Malibu Maxx.

Msilva954
03-21-05, 10:53 AM
hmm..and gas is 2.20 for reg now.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-21-05, 02:16 PM
LOL a ss SUV ....boy GM sucks at gambleing ....cant they see gas prices arent about to drop ? Gas guzzlers cant sustain them forever

Blackout
03-21-05, 05:26 PM
no offense but GM has to be one of the worst car companies on planet earth. They decided to make a high performance SUV with the gas prices going up? lol.....boy do they have the worst timing in the world for any damn thing now adays

90Brougham350
03-21-05, 06:09 PM
Let's look at gas prices in 1980, and compare them to gas prices in 1985. Enough said.

Brian

danbuc
03-21-05, 10:47 PM
What the hell is anybody gonna do with an SS Trailblazer. I could see them doing it to the Malibu, if it was worthy of wearing the SS badge....which it isn't by a long shot. The description of the Malibu SS doesn't sound too bad, but the idea for the Trailblazer is just stupid. It's ugly, hardly anybody buys it, it already has a reputation for bad gas mileage, and now there going to stick an LS2 in it, and give it 20" wheels. Instead of investing money in something like this, why don't they design a new Camaro. How about a new Firebird, or maybe a new TransAm. Bob Lutz needs to pull his head out of his ass, and get GM's act together.

Scandalous
03-22-05, 05:44 AM
bacc in the day, SS actually stood for performance. now, slapping the SS logo on one of those FWD 4 door wanna-be's is like putting a type r badge on a civic dx and calling it a genuine type r. GM bastardized all of its old time performance icons. lemme break it down
Malibu: used to be an option paccage on the Chevelle. 2 door only (could get a 4 door chevelle, just not with the malibu paccage.) now its a FWD 4 cyl econobox, and ugly as hell to boot.
Impala: used to be THE chevy to have. the Impala had class, style, and a set of balls. once again, turned to a FWD 6 cyl soul-less econobox, although people are further bastardizing its name by trying to make it seem kinda hot. IMO, the last REAL Impala died Dec. 1996. RIP:(
Grand Prix: not a bad car, although it has gone down in performance cred some since they dropped the five speed. and what the hell ever happened to the GTX model...?
GTO: Butt ugly, looks like a generic cartoon car. hardly a fitting incarnation for the car that started it all. all it has going for it is the v8 rear drive 6 speed. shit, you can get that in the Vette for only a lil more.
LeMans: ahhhhh the lemans, anyone remember this bastard child of the 80s? god i hope not.
SSR: why not just call it the El Camino?
God, i know there are more, but thinking about this is juss pissing me off, so, anyone else, keep em coming.

Randy_W
03-22-05, 09:09 AM
Like Jethro Tull, many are "...living in the past..."

I'm 52, I saw the whole '60's era come and go, I own 2 classic cars, damn I'm glad they don't build 'em like that any more!;)

Katshot
03-22-05, 09:25 AM
Maybe it's me but the SS emblem just meant more power in a specific model car. I had a couple 60's era SS's and they were basically the same as the base cars, only with more power. Today's SS's are similar IMO. They have a slightly different trim package and more power. Sure, there HAVE been some SS's that had very little extra power and were mostly trim packages but, dumping an LS2 in a TrailBlazer sounds like serious potential to me. Think, GMC Typhoon?

BeelzeBob
03-22-05, 10:08 AM
0-60 in 5.7 seconds for an SUV isn't worthy of an SS badge?

Anyway.. General Motors isn't the only stupid company. Look at the Dodge SRT truck. When unleaded regular hits $3.00 per gallon, these SUVs are going to become garage queens..

Jesda
03-22-05, 01:14 PM
The FWD Impala SS is faster than the old Impala SS.
As a child of the 80s, I was only around for the decades that Ford and GM put millions of disposable vehicles on the roads, so to me, no legacy has been destroyed.

The people who buy SS-badged SUVs arent going to care about fuel economy. I dont drive a Q45 that gets 13mpg in the city because I'm a gas miser -- I have the means of paying for the premium fuel that allows me to enjoy the luxury and performance. And the decline in SUV sales is a result of people who didnt need them in the first place going back to sedans and minivans.

On the other hand, if you own a boat, you'll continue keeping a truck in the family fleet.

Randy_W
03-22-05, 01:47 PM
Maybe it's me but the SS emblem just meant more power in a specific model car. I had a couple 60's era SS's and they were basically the same as the base cars, only with more power. Today's SS's are similar IMO. They have a slightly different trim package and more power. Sure, there HAVE been some SS's that had very little extra power and were mostly trim packages but, dumping an LS2 in a TrailBlazer sounds like serious potential to me. Think, GMC Typhoon?

I agree, but keep in mind, through 1968 an Impala SS could be bought with a 6 cyl. SS was just a trim package. Later specific models were packaged with a certain engine. SS427 Impalas had the 427 engine but not the SS trim package as standard equipment, but you could order an Impala SS with the 427 that would have the SS trim standard. The 2 cars even used different '427' emblems!

Katshot
03-22-05, 02:17 PM
Really? I never heard that before. A 6-cyl. Impala SS huh?

Blackout
03-22-05, 06:57 PM
Well now GM has the Monte Carlo SS in two packages the N/A V6 or the blown V6. Woopdy do!

Randy_W
03-22-05, 10:07 PM
Really? I never heard that before. A 6-cyl. Impala SS huh?

I went to school with a kid whose parents had very nice looking 1965 Impala SS dk green/tan interior and top, of course buckets and console. The drivetrain was a 6 cyl/ powerglide. You didn't see a bunch of them, but I've seen 6 cyl SS cars from just about every model year.

Kev
03-22-05, 10:40 PM
http://www.goissca.com/imp_hist.htm

In 1962 the option of the Super Sport was available on only the two-door coupe and convertible. However, the SS models in 1962 could have any engine from the standard 235 ci six to the 409 big block V-8. (Impala SS engine options included the 235ci 135hp I-6, 283ci 170hp V-8, 327ci 250 V-8, 327ci 300 V-8, 409ci 380hp V-8 and the 409ci 409hp V-8.) Horsepower ratings on the 409 ci V-8’s were upped to 380 on the single four barrel and 409 on the 2 x 4 barrel. The heavy duty mechanical items of the 1961 Super Sport option (HD springs, shocks, brake linings, etc.) were deleted in 1962, though they were available optionally. Chevrolet increased production of the 409 and made it available in all full size Chevy's - Biscaynes, Bel Airs, and Impalas. The Impala Sport Coupe came with a ribbed rear roof line and a smaller back window to mimic the look of a cloth convertible top. The Impala's were a bit less aerodynamic this year, which made some racers turn to the lighter and slicker Bel Air coupe. The biggest change from 1961 was that the front bucket seats with a short console between became a part of the SS package in 1962. On the exterior, the most noticeable difference between the Super Sport Impala and the regular Impala was the use of aluminum body molding inserts; plain Impalas came with painted inserts. The rear fender SS emblems were redesigned. For 1962 the SS letters with red inlay were positioned over the circular Impala emblem. An Impala SS emblem was located on the right rear part of the trunk. The 409 was improved by adding new cylinder heads and a revised camshaft. With the standard 4 bbl carb, the 409 produced 380 bhp. But the real news was the improved top of the line 409 which added a pair of Carter AFB four barrel carbs and a lightweight valve train, and produced an astonishing 409 bhp, or a magical 1 bhp per cid. The 409 legend grew. Prices ranged from $2,961-$3,925. Weights were approximately 3,450-3,920 lbs.

1963 saw the Impala SS continue to increase in performance and popularity. With the elimination of the Bel Air coupe, buyers again switched back to Impala SS coupes and convertibles. (Impala SS engine options included the 230ci 140hp I-6, 283ci 195hp V-8, 327ci 250 V-8, 327ci 300 V-8, 409ci 4 bbl 340hp V-8, 409ci 4 bbl 400hp V-8, 409ci 2x4bbl 425hp V-8 and the 427ci 2x4bbl 430hp V-8.) The 409 was further improved for driveability and a detuned version with 340 bhp was made available with an optional Powerglide automatic transmission. For the serious enthusiasts, Chevrolet offered the 409 with solid lifters and a single four bbl carb good for 400 bhp and a solid lifter 409 with two four barrel carbs good for a whooping 425 bhp. As if that wasn't enough, Chevrolet introduced a new engine, the Z-11 in mid 1963. This was a 427 cid V8 loosely based on the existing 409 but featured a smaller bore and a longer stroke. It featured angled valves and was nicknamed the "porcupine head motor." Although it was officially rated at 430 bhp, it easily made close to 500 bhp and was an instant success at the drag strip. Unfortunately, it was only available to factory approved customers through Chevrolet's RPO (Regular Production Option). It was usually coupled with the optional factory fitted lightweight front end - aluminum panels and bumper. In addition, Chevrolet was preparing another 427 V8, the Daytona "Mystery Motor" to be used at the 1963 Daytona race. However, Chevrolet officially withdrew from racing competition, putting a stop to development of the "Mystery Motor" and after only 55 Z-11 Impalas were built. The 427 would not reappear for another three years, but it would be a direct descendent of the "Mystery Motor" that Chevrolet had killed in 1963. Prices ranged from $2,661-$3,170. Weights were approximately 3,265-3,870 lbs.

The Impala SS became its own series (separate model rather than an option package) for 1964 and continue to feature unique exterior trim and a lavish interior. A slight redesign distinguished the 1964 Impala, giving the car a more boxy, formal look. The Impala SS received different side moldings, which ran along the bodyside sculpturing. The usual red-filled SS letters on the rear fenders did not use the Impala emblem. The SS models got the aluminized taillight panel insert and additional SS identification on the right side of the trunk. The new wheel covers did not have the nonfunctional knock-off spinners. Available only as a convertible or Sport Coupe, the SS was offered with the same engines as 1963, including the top of the line 409, except the 427ci 2x4bbl 430hp V-8 was dropped. But the introduction of the Pontiac GTO would steal the Impala SS thunder as buyers began to shift over to smaller, lighter cars that could offer similar performance for less money than the full size car. Prices ranged from $2,671-$3,196. Weights were approximately 3,325-3,895 lbs.

The Impala was completely redesigned for 1965 and featured a more streamlined look, rather than the boxy look of previous years. The new Impala was advertised as having “foam-cushioned seats, deep twist carpeting, new engines and transmissions and Wide-stance handling”. The Sport Coupe had a new fastback roofline. (Impala SS engine options included the 230ci 140hp I-6, 283ci 195hp V-8, 327ci 250 V-8, 327ci 300 V-8, 396ci 4 bbl 325 V-8, 396ci 4 bbl 425 V-8, 409ci 4 bbl 340hp V-8 and the 409ci 4 bbl 400hp V-8.) In February, the mighty 409 was phased out and was replaced by the Mark IV 396 cid V8, which would power Chevrolets for the rest of the '60s. The new 396 could be mated to a new automatic transmission, the Turbo Hydra-matic 350. The 396 was a direct descendant of the "Daytona Mystery Engine" The 409s and 396s were available in all Impalas, including four door sedans and station wagons, but the Impala SS continued as a separate series. 1965 also saw the introduction of the Caprice option on the Impala and came standard with a V8.The '65 model also featured round triple taillights - a classic Impala styling cue. The frame was changed from the old X-member to a new “full-perimeter” type that supported the new larger bodies, provided superior strength and enhanced quietness and ride comfort. Full-size SS sales would never again be so high. Gasoline was still relatively cheap, and the rate of passenger car travel continued to grow, with statistics showing a 21 percent increase from 1960 to 1965. The boom of the '50s continued into the '60s, with the Chevrolet Impala leading the way. Prices ranged from $2,672-$3,212. Weights were approximately 3,385-4,005 lbs.

Jesda
03-23-05, 05:08 PM
Great post!!!!