: GM pulls plug on '08 line of cars

HotRodSaint
03-21-05, 09:04 AM
General Motors Corp. has killed plans for a new line of rear-wheel drive passenger cars slated to reach North American showrooms in 2008, in large part to free up resources to bring its next generation of large pickups and sport utility vehicles to market quicker. (http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/21/A01-123402.htm)

The rear-drive "global architecture" -- dubbed Zeta -- was to provide the basic underpinnings for an array of cars and crossover vehicles for markets around the world. It will continue to be the basis for products sold in regions outside North America.

GM's decision to kill the Zeta program puts the brakes on development of the next generation Pontiac GTO sports car, and new entries for Chevrolet, Buick and Pontiac. The current GTO is already being produced by GM's Holden unit in Australia.

Bob Lutz, GM's vice chairman for product development, canceled development of the premium rear-wheel models for North America, according to two people familiar with the situation.

It was Lutz who first championed the new rear-wheel drive platform. The renowned car expert announced the Zeta program in 2003 as the industry was turning its attention toward rear-wheel drive vehicles.

But he pulled the plug on the North America models after determining the vehicles could not be engineered and assembled to sell at prices competitive with the popular Chrysler 300C, Ford Mustang and other models, without sacrificing quality and content.

In addition, GM is anxious to free up resources to speed up the launch of its new line of full-size pickup trucks. They are not expected to arrive until 2006.

Many in the industry expected the Zeta architecture would mean the return of the Chevrolet Camaro and production versions of the Buick Velite concept car, which debuted at the 2004 New York auto show to rave reviews.

"This is scary. It puts GM behind the eight ball," said Joseph Phillippi of AutoTrends Consulting in Short Hills, N.J. "It makes you wonder why can't they get it right. Where does it seemingly go wrong?"

Msilva954
03-21-05, 09:55 AM
I predict a big downfall for GM and Ford and Chrysler gaining on GM by a bigshot.....

Sad to say but GM is officially looking like the most declining american mark.

tstach
03-21-05, 12:39 PM
I predict a big downfall for GM and Ford and Chrysler gaining on GM by a bigshot.....

Sad to say but GM is officially looking like the most declining american mark.

That's too bad, because I don't like Ford or Chrysler products. It's either GM or........

Stoneage_Caddy
03-21-05, 01:12 PM
Kickass ....i knew GM could screw the pooch even more ...

Lets build mroe of them POS trucks ...because with gas headed to 5 buck a gallon GM will be caught with there pants down and will go completely out of business

Playdrv4me
03-21-05, 05:19 PM
Well, thats just terrific. Lets just go ahead and kill every possible idea that might possibly get us out of our rut and return us to profitability. Way to go Lutz. He is beginning to get on my nerves.

HotRodSaint
03-21-05, 07:23 PM
Lets just go ahead and kill every possible idea that might possibly get us out of our rut and return us to profitability.

This is what has prevented me from being a fan of GM.

They have 5 car brands, and nothing worth a damn in the sub 30k price range. Now they won't until at least 2010.

SilverCTS
03-21-05, 08:26 PM
You almost have to wonder if there is room for Chevy, Pontiac and Buick.

Do they need all 3?

Does the American consumer need all 3?

They already got rid of Olds.

Cadillac & GMC are obviously keepers.

Hummer & Saab serve niche markets quite well.

Then there is Saturn...

Jesda
03-22-05, 12:16 PM
Well that's that. Everyone dump your GM stock!

Randy_W
03-22-05, 12:40 PM
All you people wanting to kill Pontiac, go drive a G6. It is on par with anything close to it's price, and some new ideas that are better than most. For all you saying kill the Aztek, that was announced months ago!;)

HotRodSaint
03-22-05, 01:18 PM
All you people wanting to kill Pontiac, go drive a G6. It is on par with anything close to it's price, and some new ideas that are better than most.

But it looks like a Neon from behind. :shhh:

HotRodSaint
03-22-05, 01:21 PM
Well that's that. Everyone dump your GM stock!

GM CEO buys 50,000 of automaker's shares (http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=11882)

Shares of the world's largest automaker are still down more than 60 percent since Wagoner took over as its CEO in 2000, however.

Playdrv4me
03-22-05, 02:27 PM
All you people wanting to kill Pontiac, go drive a G6. It is on par with anything close to it's price, and some new ideas that are better than most. For all you saying kill the Aztek, that was announced months ago!;)

Randy bud, see my last post in the other GM thread. Things aint goin well in G6-Ville either... and I kinda-sorta liked that one :)

TeagueJT81
03-22-05, 05:58 PM
According to the article, this won't affect Cadillac (at least it never mentioned the brand). Is the proposed '08 RWD DeVille going to be built on another frame?

GM really needs to focus on their future. US manufacturers need to be able to pull themselves out of this rut they've been in since before I was born, and I think lots of expensive investment in their future models is the best way for them to do it. This isn't a good move for GM...

Stoneage_Caddy
03-28-05, 01:16 PM
but wait theres more ....

Lutz told employees the decision does not mean GM has canceled plans to build rear-drive vehicles altogether.

Mooney admitted "there is a lot of technical interaction on how we do our rear-wheel drive and how they do it," he said. Over time, Mooney said, there could be more sharing between Australia and the United States.
One North American supplier says GM's Zeta vehicles were completely engineered in Australia and were ready for tooling. The forecast volume was 400,000 globally.

With that much work done, it was surprising to see North American production canceled, the supplier said: "It was essentially all baked in Australia. All they needed to do was to put in a plant here."

The supplier says 50,000 units will still go to China.

But, as for North America, the supplier says: "For now, they say it's canceled."
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102070

looks like just a set back to me ...

ben72227
03-28-05, 01:32 PM
This is just great. Gas prices are one the increase and GM decides to put an LS2 in an SUV: the Trailblazer SS. If they must make more SUVs, then i think its time for GM to jump on the hybrid bandwagon...

ShadowLvr400
03-28-05, 01:36 PM
Bob Lutz, the best CEO Ford and DC ever had. Yes, Lutz the Putz works for GM officially, but come on, you see what he does. He's a Ford and Mopar boy.

Playdrv4me
03-28-05, 01:52 PM
And they could EASILY negotiate a deal with Toyota to borrow their superior Hybrid technology. In fact, I think its already in the works.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-28-05, 02:11 PM
And they could EASILY negotiate a deal with Toyota to borrow their superior Hybrid technology. In fact, I think its already in the works.
nope thats alinged with ford ....DCX and GM are in "cahoots" on hybrids ...for SUVs