: Long Crankin

Benlomand
03-21-05, 04:26 AM
Hey,
My 96 Eldo sometimes requires about a 10 sec crank over to start. This seems excessive compared to my other vehicles. I don't put my foot on the gas at all and at times I smell gas too. Runs great once running and the mileage on my last trip averaged 22+mpg. What's up? :hmm:

Benlomand
03-21-05, 02:17 PM
Could I be losing fuel pressure at the injectors? Did I see something on the forum about fuel rail recalls? :shhh:

zonie77
03-21-05, 03:18 PM
Fuel pressure regulator may be leaking.

turboost
03-26-05, 12:25 PM
I just bought a 96 sts and before we left town it had a 5 second crank which I thought was weird. So I turned it off and tryed it again and it started right up but I did smell some gas but nothing on the ground. Does this sound like a FP regulator problem?

zonie77
03-26-05, 01:30 PM
yes

Benlomand
03-29-05, 06:26 PM
Saw another long post on this same problem. I'm calling the dealer first to see if I've had the recall on the fuel rail and go from there. My problem occurs only when the engine is warm. :worship:

mcowden
03-29-05, 09:16 PM
I'm betting on the fuel pressure regulator. When the recall is done to replace the fuel rail, they re-use the original FPR, so having the recall done won't fix anything. If it's losing pressure due to cracking of the fuel rail, you will smell gas. You still need to get the fuel rail recall done even if you replace the FPR before that, or you could have them put a new FPR on it while they're doing the recall. Not sure what that would cost.

BeelzeBob
03-30-05, 12:53 PM
Saw another long post on this same problem. I'm calling the dealer first to see if I've had the recall on the fuel rail and go from there. My problem occurs only when the engine is warm. :worship:

Simply open the hood and look at the fuel rail. If it is plastic then the recall has not been done. It is is stainless steel tubing then it has had the recall completed.

The FPR is equally easy to check. With the engine idling, pull the vacuum hose off the FPR. Watch the vacuum nipple for several minutes for any sign of fuel seeping out. There should be none.

97BlueDeville
03-31-05, 02:11 PM
Bob.. You're very smart!!