: 1962 sedan de'ville owner

silverknight
03-20-05, 09:53 PM
hello everyone. my name is marius, most call me mario. im 18 and live in dearborn heights, michigan. my daily driver is a lightly done up 1995 ford taurus SE. and my project car is my 1962 cadillac sedan de'ville. we've had it for about 5 years. my dad bought it as a family project for my older brother and i. we havnt done anything to it since. now that i have a lil bit of knowledge, money, and time. i decided to get it goin again. we havent started it in 5 yrs, so i have to do lots of changes. ive already been informed of some of the stuff. it has the 390ci v8, which i heard was rated at 325bhp @ 4800rpm. this will be my summer cruiser, so that dont matter much. im having a hard time finding some parts for it since its soo old. i need a tranny rear seal and some other parts. anyone know where i can get a windsheild for it, it has a few cracks. the interior was fully redone by the prev owner but i have to install a driver side power window motor and reinstall the door panel.
the car was repainted dark blue by one of the prev owners and they did a bad job on it so the paint is peeling. it was originally baby blue. has power windows, locks, had A/C (have to see what it still has). the car has little rust since it was driven from arizona to michigan most of its life. i would appreciate any info on the 1962 models u guys have available. i want to get this thing back on the street, i dont see many around here at car shows. still have all original parts on it and is a numbers matching car other than interior as far as i know.

D148L0
03-20-05, 10:14 PM
Welcome to the forums.

CADDYBLACK99
03-21-05, 08:40 AM
Welcome Mario!

Your project car sounds challenging. I will move this post to the "past cadillac vehicle discussion area" for better response. Dave Smed or any of the others there should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck. Thanks for joining the forum. Keep us up-to-date on your restoration.
:welcome:
Paul

silverknight
03-21-05, 09:36 AM
thanks for the welcome guys. im tryin to get a list goin, i really want this thing driveable this summer to hit up the Woodward Dream Cruise. if u dont know what that is. look it up, its the worlds biggest car cruise. im debating on even trying to install and airride suspension we bought for it, or just leaving the suspension as is. my main concern now is getting the drivetrain and the brakes working. as long as it turns im happy even if the ride will be rough.
anyone know where i can get correct weatherstripping for my car?

silverknight
03-22-05, 05:44 PM
progress on day 1.
i sprayed just a bit of wd40 in there, and used a pipe to help me with turnin it over by hand. checked all the plugs and are at factory specs, put the wires in the correct firing order. i found where the fuel filter and pump are. now i have to figure out the carb and change the fuel filter and see what else needs to be done. add a battery and get to it. hopefully by friday i can get it running.

anyone know about carbs and wanna help me out? i dunno if mine is good or not

also the gas and brake pedals are all the way down, but the throttle assembly on the carb is still easily moveable by hand. and the plate is closed when i dont touch it.

u guys know any cadillac older model specific forums?

Fred Fachman
03-22-05, 07:43 PM
Welcome Silver Knight!! The '62 is one of my favorite body styles and my Dad had one new. I sold my '60, 62 series sedan when I left for Iraq in Nov. '03. The 390 is a good engine and parts are available, but expensive. Actually you should be able to find nearly any part for it via a "google" search. The are dozens of companies that specialize in old Cadillac parts. Caddy Daddy,McVeys are a couple that come to mind. Pick up a copy of Hemmings motor news available in any bookstore. You will find a plethora of parts vendors in there.

The brake pedal all the way to the floor is normal for a car that has been sitting. I would assume it is out of brake fluid which would indicate a leak. You will more than likely need a complete brake job. Shoes,springs,wheel cylinders(the likely leak source)and a master cylinder. Don't skimp on the brakes of a 5000 lb. 43 year old car.

The gas pedal is more than likely the linkage has fallen off. Although this is a great website, most of the chat and knowledge is about newer Cadillacs. Try cadillaclasalleclub.com for info and help on your '62. They are an older bunch who are the real experts on anything pre 1970.

Good luck and I expect some pics soon. Fred

haymaker
03-22-05, 08:34 PM
progress on day 1.
i sprayed just a bit of wd40 in there, and used a pipe to help me with turnin it over by hand. checked all the plugs and are at factory specs, put the wires in the correct firing order. i found where the fuel filter and pump are. now i have to figure out the carb and change the fuel filter and see what else needs to be done. add a battery and get to it. hopefully by friday i can get it running.

anyone know about carbs and wanna help me out? i dunno if mine is good or not

also the gas and brake pedals are all the way down, but the throttle assembly on the carb is still easily moveable by hand. and the plate is closed when i dont touch it.

u guys know any cadillac older model specific forums?
Was the fuel system drained 5 years ago? If the accelerator were on the floor I would check to see if the linkage was unhooked or the return spring was disconnected

silverknight
03-23-05, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info Fred, ill take a look into that site. i know i have to redo the brakes, that was the 2nd thing on my list after making sure the engine starts.

Haymaker. unfortunatly the tank wasnt drained back then, im not even sure how much gas it has in it. we bought the car, had it towed home, and has sat since. it started when we bought it tho.

im beginning to understand why my brother quit this project... my father is REALLY annoying to deal with. he is like a wall when im workin, cant get around him. if it wasnt for my dad the damm thing wouldnt have sat for 5 years rotting away.. ok, thats the end of my rant...
its snowing in michigan, or else i would have been workin on it again today. i dont have a job and just have 1 class of college a day. so i have plenty of time.