: Northstar Commander 950 base Map - sand rail install

rjones125
08-14-13, 01:10 PM
Wanted to say hello. Been reading all over the place and found this site many times. I have a 99 Northstar in a sand rail. I recently corrupted my ECU programming in the Holley MPI commander 950 while trying to edit and save. Seems the shops who specialize in this stuff are not interested in my problem or too smug to deal with a little guy-dont even want to sell me a file. I need to get a base map program, or at least some set up/ignition/fuel parameter information specific to this engine-emphasis on ignition and timing. I have the engine running, but still have timing and start up stubling issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated from someone with a some experience with this issue.

Thanks thanks
Robert

vincentm
08-14-13, 02:13 PM
Wanted to say hello. Been reading all over the place and found this site many times. I have a 99 Northstar in a sand rail. I recently corrupted my ECU programming in the Holley MPI commander 950 while trying to edit and save. Seems the shops who specialize in this stuff are not interested in my problem or too smug to deal with a little guy-dont even want to sell me a file. I need to get a base map program, or at least some set up/ignition/fuel parameter information specific to this engine-emphasis on ignition and timing. I have the engine running, but still have timing and start up stubling issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated from someone with a some experience with this issue.

Thanks thanks
Robert

Contact CHRFAB.com

rjones125
08-15-13, 05:37 PM
I tried to get/buy a base map from CHRF, didnt seem interested in helping.

Submariner409
08-16-13, 09:22 AM
I'm going to move this up to Northstar Performance and see if you get any feedback. rjones, Look through the PCM programming forum - you might get a hint there.

1BadCadSTS
08-16-13, 10:02 AM
PM madtuner

Great guy I'm sure he can get something for you.

rjones125
08-16-13, 06:17 PM
I'm going to move this up to Northstar Performance and see if you get any feedback. rjones, Look through the PCM programming forum - you might get a hint there.

Thanks.. I emailed Alan at CHRF back and forth a couple of times. He wanted to know what cams were in the car, if it had WB O2 and which injectors. I pulled a cam gear off to get a cam number (hell of a place for it) for Alan at CHRF last week, it was stamped 02/16/99 0116 M2, injectors looked stock and no O2 sensor. He did not know the cam or who ground it and that was pretty much the end of that. the emails stopped. Im kinda on my own now. Limited resources in the central valley. Alan did tell me early on the key to these engines is in the ignition part of the programming, but that was all he cared to share. Maybe he's a busy guy. ...... Right now I am in the process of pulling the timing chain covers to get it back together (tentioner release too difficult to get to while assembled). No big deal, just a complete waste of time.... I messeged madtuner... "hope" "pray".. peace my brother caddy lovers!

madtuner
08-16-13, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry, I don't do tuning on Holley units. I would have been able to design a tune for you if you were using your stock computer. I have done 96-99 sand rail setups in the past without any issues (on the stock PCM).

rjones125
08-16-13, 09:30 PM
Thanks anyway madtuner. Perhaps you might know a couple things that would help. A)Engine Parameters - 1. Timing advance while cranking 15(Have no clue what this should be). 2. Should I use one or two injector pulse per revolution. currently one. 3. Ignition = using hall effect. B) Idle air control - 1. IAC parked positions / engine temperature, and minimum IAC/TPS. TPS is 31 min, max 260 C) Start-up enrichment - Crank pulse width, afterstart enrichment, afterstart holdoff rev, and afterstart decay rate/temperature. D) And most importantly I think are the "modifiers". 1. Additional timing VS coolant temp (I think I am way off here -32 aross the board.) tidbits of my original file showed it changing up and down from -4 to -16 degrees about every 15 degree temperature increase up to 235. Not sure if the original PCM has these type of parameters. Then of course there are the full page MAPS.

Submariner409
08-17-13, 10:06 AM
I'm not a sand rail engine builder but I do monitor a LOT of engine operating conditions in real time in my STS.......... and this is the 2002 engine with the redesign combustion chambers, so take that into account. Pre-2000 combustion and timing is slightly different, as was the compression ratio.

For the stock Northstar L37 - Cranking timing is about 8 degrees BTDC. 650 idle is about 6 - 8 degrees. Emissions (and mixture / timing changes) go closed loop at between 125 and 160 degrees coolant temp, depending on ambient temp sensor input. On the road, timing is constantly dynamic - slight gas pedal movement changes timing instantly. Running at 65, light road load max advance is 34 BTDC. Punch it or start up a hill and timing can drop back to 18 BTDC. During WOT runs up to 130 mph+ timing NEVER goes past 20 BTDC.

Be careful of excessive ignition advance, especially in an aluminum engine - knock/ping/preignition/detonation will quickly make the piston crown and combustion chamber look "Like the mice have been at it !". (Old British car mechanic term for piston/chamber damage - little chunks missing.)

AJxtcman
08-19-13, 06:10 PM
I have a file or had a file

PM me.