: voltage regulator location

techsent
03-20-05, 07:29 PM
Hello,

My son and I recently bought a 1989 Fleetwood brougham to restore. The previous owner told us that the car would not maintain a charge more than a day. We recently swapped out the alternator and a new battery but no luck. We then took the car into the shop and they tested the alternator and found it to be good.

Just by looking at the engine/parts, we can tell that the engine has not been maintained on a regular basis. We just found out that the problem could be the voltage regulator shorting out and we want to replace it (costs around $50.00 for the part). Today, we popped the hood but couldn't find the VR based on the pics at http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=204&ptset=C&searchfor=Alternator+Voltage+Regulator

Our cadi manual is a generic one and gives no info on the VR at all. Does, anyone know exactly where the VR is located?

Thanks,

Patrick & Kevin

Ranger
03-20-05, 08:40 PM
If I am not mistaken, the voltage regulator is integral with the alternator.

techsent
03-20-05, 09:29 PM
Hey Ranger,

Thanks for the post. I'd go with your comment but I can't since the VR looks to be a separate part based on the link in my original post.

Thanks,

Patrick

FASSTWOOD
03-20-05, 10:13 PM
Pat going by yur link those are all internal regulators. Thealternator you have in your car should have a 10 or 12 gauge wire that bots to the back of the alternator and a plug with 2 wires plugging into the side of the alternator. The fat wire should always have 12 volts to it. When you turn the ignition to the on position one of the wires in the 2 wire plug should have 12 volts running through it now also. The other wire in the plug goes to the bulb in the dash which should be lit if the key is on but the engine is not running. If this bulb is blown or there is a break in this wire the circuit will remain open and the alternator will not charge.

TO RECAP

Ignition on engine not running

12+ to main alt wire
12+ to the one wire on the 2 wire plug.
charge light on in dash...

Hope this helps...
Eddie...

techsent
03-20-05, 11:00 PM
Fasstwood,

Thanks for the detailed info (and the lesson!). Your description is exactly how the alternator is connected up (well, except for the bulb part, I think, as the car was stolen (recovered) from the previous owner and the thieves ripped out the stereo and tore up the dash (may they dwell in hell :) ). The only thing left hanging was the oil pressure gauge and the A/C section below. Inside the car, We taped up all the disconnected wires with electrical tape and connected the 2 connectors back into their slots (located under the top of the dash) but no go.

You may have just led us to the fix by this statement "The other wire in the plug goes to the bulb in the dash which should be lit if the key is on but the engine is not running. If this bulb is blown or there is a break in this wire the circuit will remain open and the alternator will not charge." as I'm not sure if that wire is grounded since there is no longer a bulb. If we trace the wire and find it not connected to anything, can we just use electrical tape for grounding so that the circuit will no longer be open (or, we may have already taped the wire in which case, we would then have to buy a new bulb)?

Ranger,

I apologize for doubting you. That's what happens when a rookie posts for help :)

Pat

FASSTWOOD
03-20-05, 11:07 PM
I glad I was able to point you in some sort of direction. Keep us posted. I've been there before with a little patience you will get it all straightened out...

fleetwood76
03-21-05, 04:30 PM
Hello i'm not sure i have understand you correct, so i'm not sure this will help. Have you done any measuring of if it drains current from the battery when engine stopped, lights out etc, short said,- When stopped and parked. the reason i ask this is that on two of my cars a light bulb have stayed an when a turned off the car. In my malibu it was the luggage compartment light (21 watts) that was't off when it should due to a fault in the switch that feels if the trunk lid is open. the other car was the -87 brougham where the glove compartment bulb (21 watts) didn't turn off when you closed the glove compartment due to a untighten lock. 21 watts may sounds little, but it means almost 2Ah, so if you have a 65Ah battery it will be completly empty in a day and a half. After one day you probably will have to little juice to crank the engine

jolle