: Water pump or no?

turbojimmy
08-14-13, 11:07 AM
As I mentioned in a couple of different threads, I noticed while changing my A/C compressor that the bottom of my water pump was wet with coolant. It did not appear to be a very big leak, but was leaking nonetheless. I drive the car almost exclusively around town. This past weekend I took a trip that required about 2-hours of constant highway speed. I lost a lot of coolant on that trip. I could smell coolant under the hood but the water pump was dry. I thought maybe it was so low on coolant that it wasn't leaking anymore. I topped it off with water this morning (figuring I'm just going to have to drain it when I replace the pump) and let it get up to operating temp. Pump is still dry.

Now I don't know what to think. I can smell coolant so it's leaking somewhere, but it's not leaving puddles. I'm wondering if the heat and air from highway speed driving caused the coolant to evaporate? But, it's not dripping from the pump anymore. I'm thoroughly confused by this now. Ideas? How did your water pump fail?

----------

Answered my own question. The leak has grown, and it's at the right rear of the engine. The head is soaked by the valve cover. I don't know what's back there - I don't have time to look at it now.

----------

Man I dodged another bullet. The car is in the driveway and coolant is now POURING out the back somewhere and running down the back of the engine. It emptied itself in about 15 minutes of idling. I can't see where it's coming from - yet.

outsider
08-14-13, 11:10 AM
right rear as in passenger? sorry I always get confused as to which side is right vs left. lol

If it's passenger side it could be one of the hoses from your heater core spraying? You'd be able to see that, though.

Hopefully not head gasket?

Poda
08-14-13, 11:10 AM
Mine started with a very small leak under the pump and the weep hole was dripping.. A couple of weeks later, I started hearing grinding noises under the hood, followed by a larger leak of coolant under the pump when parked. When I pulled the pump it turns out the grinding was the shaft bearing grenading, and the pinging sounds I'd randomly hear were the ball bearings shooting around in the engine bay as they each decided to abandon their post.

turbojimmy
08-14-13, 11:45 AM
Turns out it's the steel line that runs from head to head and to the throttle body.

This is a pic of my spare engine, so thankfully I have an extra one (being a hoarder sometimes pays off).

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii636/jestoltz/limo_leak_zps8bb4ea60.jpg

turbojimmy
08-14-13, 02:23 PM
All fixed. As you might surmise, it's much easier getting the tube off an engine that's on a stand than on the one installed in the car. The latter rather sucked.

You have to unhook that exhaust tube at the back of the intake so you can get the pipe out from underneath it. After some contortionist moves, it will eventually find its way out from under the dipstick tube, 2 wiring harnesses, injector wiring and EVAP solenoid. Word to the wise - the stock '94 bolts have a very shallow head compared to the '96 bolts (pictured). The '94 bolts are therefore very easy to round off unless you're on there perfectly with a 15mm socket.

Water pump appears to be fine. The liquid collecting on the bottom is actually oil, but there's not much of it. It's just damp.

The old tube was leaking at the elbow just to the right of the bolt in the picture.

Cadillacboy
08-14-13, 02:51 PM
Good to see you found the smoking gun in no time ,our water pump went bad around the gasket area therefore it was replaced asap but we did it a bit early than usual but it was worth considering we set our mind at ease lol

turbojimmy
08-14-13, 03:01 PM
It's crazy that that line completely blew in my driveway after a 250-mile round-trip. I was all over Long Beach Island with that car full of people. If it blew at that point or on the way home it would have SUCKED. Started rapidly losing coolant 5 miles from my house but it was pouring rain so I didn't investigate until this morning.

Looks like it had been compromised at some point in the past. I never messed with it, but it blew from the inside out at that elbow. I've been looking for a replacement in case my back-up blows, but they don't make them anymore. They still make a '95-97 F-body kit that we might be able to tweak.