: Question about the EGR valve

k63d400
03-20-05, 05:15 PM
1994 Concours 129,000mi

I was coming home the other day, came off the highway the SES light came on and the car stalled. It started back up, ran roughly for a few miles then was fine. Checked the PCM codes and it came up with:
P036 ....................................... EGR valve pintle position out of range
P043 ............................................... Left Oxygen Sensor Signal Rich
P045 .............................................. Right Oxygen Sensor Signal Rich
P095 .................................................. ...... Engine Stall Detected

I pulled the EGR and cleaned it, replaced the gasket. My question is that even after I cleaned the EGR when i push the pintle all the way in it sticks open until you tap it a bit. I used brake parts cleaner and a brush but it still sticks open. Do I have to buy a new valve? I was thinking of using some thing that penetrates/lubricates like PB Blaster and then hose it out with the brake parts cleaner again. Will this damage the valve or engine if I do this?

BeelzeBob
03-20-05, 05:31 PM
Did you clean the shaft that the pintle valve rides on?? Usually the problem with the EGR valve sticking is deposits on the pintle shaft up inside the passage in the base of the valve. Use some carb cleaner or other solvent but do NOT let the solvent run down the shaft into the can of the valve or it will be ruined. Any harsh solvent will eat the insulation off the windings inside the can of the valve. Take the valve off and hold it right side up and spray out the passage to clean the pintle valve shaft thoroughly.

k63d400
03-20-05, 10:06 PM
I got the shaft the best that I could but i didn't use carb cleaner. I'll try it like that when I get a chance, also I'll see if I can get a smaller brush that can get in there better.