: New member... just got my first caddy

AKPsiMC03
02-08-03, 06:46 PM
Hello.

I just got my first cadillac this week. Its a 1995 eldorado ETC with 101k miles on it.... I picked it up for $6500 after tax.

I love this car. Any things i should watch out for in this car with this many miles?

BTW... im a college senior.. and most of my firends dont understand why i bought a cadillac. but they dont understasnd me period.

here is a pic of it... the body had TWO scratches on it... other than that its flawless!

http://members.tccoa.com/jaybird/caddy/IMGA0025.jpg

the Sandman
02-08-03, 07:02 PM
Hey Jay

Welcome to the CadillacForums BB. Nice ride! Is it dark green or black (my eyes ain't so good :D )? Don't you need a front plate in NY anymore?

As far as the mileage goes, that isn't so much for a Caddy if it was well taken care of. Assuming it hasn't already been done, I'd give it a complete tuneup (plugs, wires, air and fuel filters, etc.)and check for any "codes" set in computer, engine and transmission flush and refill with synthetic fluids, flush the cooling system, flush and refill the brake fluid and check pads, rotors, etc., lube, alignment, and full detail job.

AKPsiMC03
02-08-03, 07:08 PM
you do need a front plate in NY... that pic was taken 10 min after i got it home forn the dealer... there was a dealer plate on it... and its registered in NY where my "residence" is, but i have an apartment in NY.

ad for the tune up... it gets horrible MPG i know the O2 sensors are shot cus it runs rich, i can smell it.

i did the oil, the tranny fluid im having flushed soon, i put a new air filter in, and it needs plugs. I went to napa and the ytold me the only plugs for it are $4.99 each...

can i use normal $1.50 copper plugs in it?

and... anyone know where to get both fog lights? both of mine have the backs smashed out of them so they dont work. The lowest price i could find was $135 EACH!

oh.. and the engine is filthy.. i wanna clean it.. but im not sure what cant get wet. On my 5.0 tbird that i used ot have i had to cover abouyt a dozen things and this engine is MUCH more complez than that was.

EDIT: oh yeah... its dark green.

elwesso
02-08-03, 07:56 PM
Jay--- again, welcome aboard. As far as tuneup, just go by what the owners manual. DONT USE COPPER PLUGS. Its really not a huge deal, but the platinum plugs should be good. Just clean em and re gap them. Their platinum tipped so you should be good. As far as wire, they shouldnt need replaced unless your having misfiring. Im not sure about fog lights, but have you tried replacing the bulbs? Or are the actual lamps shot.

As far as cleaning the engine, you really dont have to worry about anything. Go at it baby, but go easy on areas with electial connections, especially the alternator. Other than that, there really isnt too much to worry about. No real need to cover anything up. I wouldnt use pressure washers on the engine, just use one of those nozzles that you stick on the end of the garden hose. That should actually get most of the stuff off with no problems, but if you are the perfectionist regular dish soap would be fine.

Glad to hear there is another person out there with a real taste for cars. As for your friends, THEY are the ones that dont have taste for automobiles.

AKPsiMC03
02-08-03, 08:16 PM
for the presure washers...can i use the car was one, just dont squeeze the trigger? Because i live in an apartment complex with no hoses... but if it comes down to it i can always do it at work when it gets warmer.

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 09:20 PM
i heard somewhere that due to north*'s aggressive firing, it's recommended that you get high quality wires and plugs. And as for the synthetic oil on highmileage engine is not recommended unless it's been changed to synthetic some time ago.

BeelzeBob
02-08-03, 09:50 PM
Welcome aboard! Thanks for signing up.. Very nice ETC! I had a 95 as well.. Awesome, awesome car...

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 01:04 AM
car looks great! welcome "home" lol

elwesso
02-09-03, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by AKPsiMC03
for the presure washers...can i use the car was one, just dont squeeze the trigger? Because i live in an apartment complex with no hoses... but if it comes down to it i can always do it at work when it gets warmer.

Its ok to use the pressure washer on the body, not on the engine though.

kcnewell
02-09-03, 12:00 PM
It's ok to use the pressure washer on the driveway! But Not on the paint unless you don't like the paint! Not on the engine either. You don't need to really blast the engine area, Just put whatever cleaner you're gonna use on it and scrub the really bad stuff off and rinse with low pressure being careful about electricals and it should clean up nicely. Pressure washer?....I don't think so!

elwesso
02-09-03, 01:47 PM
I think that a lower pressure washer wouldnt damage it all. Especially if the nozzle was far enough away from the surface of the paint.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by elwesso
I think that a lower pressure washer wouldnt damage it all. Especially if the nozzle was far enough away from the surface of the paint.

thats the key, keep it a good distance away and use a wide fan tip not a 0 degree