: First post - please be gentle - woodgrain interior options

kyle242gt
08-13-13, 11:52 PM
Hi all - tomorrow purchasing a 2005 CTS-V with the tan/black interior. As is common the grey plastic around the shifter and stereo has started scraping away. The radio buttons are wearing badly too. I'm torn between hating the moron who designed this crap and praising him for making a four door monster like this available to a schmoe like me.

I've long owned BMW's, and was seriously looking at E39's until I drove the CTS-V. Game set match, you know, can't beat an American V8.:bighead:

But the interior plastics, ugh.

To me, this is way nicer than black on black on black on scab on black on crud:
I figure the black Testors marker can touch up the buttons, but the dash/console panels really need help (along with the sunroof and seat memory buttons, ugh)

With that brief preamble - anyone have price/PN for the dash stack/shifter surround from the base CTS in woodgrain? Or recommendation for a decent aftermarket kit?
This looks like ass:136234
Got something like that for our Volvo and sent it back stat.
This doesn't seem completely without promise, but still skeptical.
http://www.dashkitspecialties.com/CCCS04H.html

I figure I can't be the only cat wishing for a little more lux in his lux/monster.

Thanks for any ideas.

rand49er
08-14-13, 07:43 AM
... I figure the black Testors marker can touch up the buttons ...You can get an entire new set of buttons and replace them yourself ( http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/radiobuttons/index.html) for very little money. Call Luke Butler at Lindsay Cadillac ... see ad at right.

StretchASU
08-14-13, 10:00 AM
Another option would be to Hydrodip or PlastiDip the trim pieces and buttons.

AAIIIC
08-14-13, 11:44 AM
The only difference I can see between the first and second pics is that the first one (which looks "way nicer than black on black on black on scab on black on crud") is so poorly lit that you can't see anything on the dash, while the second pic (which "looks like ass") was taken with a proper camera with a flash. :p

I would suggest looking for posts in the 2003-2007 non-V forum, as you will be more likely to find folks that either have the factory bits and/or have added aftermarket bits. As suggested above, Luke @ Lindsay can hook you up with part numbers and pricing for the factory parts. Searching around a little bit over there it appears the 2005 option code for wood trim was B19 (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/10568-cts-interior-wood-kit.html#post82288). That thread has some recommendations on companies to go with, but there are probably more recent threads that will have more current advice.

kyle242gt
08-14-13, 12:14 PM
Thanks all. Reading prior threads on the buttons, I read that they were NLA separately. Has that changed, or did I misread? IIRC the buttons were about $8 each?

The "looks like ass" kits are flat plastic about 1mm thick that cover the face of the stack, leaving the sides and top black plastic. The OEM piece is all woodgrain; I saw an aftermarket applique that covered the whole thing as well, but didn't manage to save the link.

Appreciate the links, will continue researching. Saw one guy who had a black burlwood finish, that was nifty.

I'm also pondering the plastidip treatment, wonder if there's a color that matches the tan interior. Be nice to break up the black dash.

thebigjimsho
08-14-13, 01:53 PM
I think any stick on kit is going to look as such...stuck on. Avoid...

kyle242gt
08-14-13, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I agree. Just touched up the buttons with black sharpie. Close enough for now. Funny how my memory had it as worse than it really was, just a few corners to do.

rs1969
08-14-13, 05:24 PM
I tried to buy the buttons 2 weeks ago, they are not available to buy. You have to send your radio in to have them replaced.

thebigjimsho
08-15-13, 05:30 PM
I tried to buy the buttons 2 weeks ago, they are not available to buy. You have to send your radio in to have them replaced.

You couldn't buy them from Luke?